Thyroid Disorders Community
High TSH and pregnancy - PLEASE HELP!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

High TSH and pregnancy - PLEASE HELP!!!

hi, i have a question.  my tsh is 4.9 with all other levels normal.  i am on .075 synthroid.  i may be pregnant, and my OB says this is totally fine.  I am very stressed though because what i am reading is this may be too high for pregnancy and cause birth defects.  i trust my OB... she is one of the best in a big city.  what do i do?  does anyone know about this???
I don't really know much about being pregnant and taking Synthroid. I have read that you should be careful and your doctor should be informing you.

Again as for the TSH of 4.9 (while pregnant) that may be Ok right now due to the pregnancy. You may not want an increase in meds at this time - yet you may not be good with being hypo either.

Your TSH is not bad and some doctors may even consider you "fine".  I really wish I had some advice here - I developed my thyroid problems after my children were born and grown.

I hope you get additional feedback with other members here.
Congratulations on your pregnancy.  My biggest suggestion is to talk to your Dr about monitoring you thru bloodwork.  Most labs list a reference range for an optimal TSH during each trimester of pregnancy.  It is so important to be within each range during each trimester...this can easily be checked every few weeks.  Synthroid when monitored during pregnancy should be adjusted accordingly ie to get you within the proper range warrented for each trimester.  Please, Please check with your Dr, tell her your concerns and insist on being monitored.  My best to you.
I'm pregnant and as with my previous pregnancy, I am monitored by ob and endo. Having both will give you piece of mind. I saw my ob and endo monthly.
I would see an endo.  Not to scare you, but I found out I was pregnant and hypothyroid at almost the same time.  My TSH was 11, and neither my general practitioner or my OB were concerned.  I was put on synthroid and they stepped up my dose slowly.  I had a difficult early pregnancy and then a miscarriage at 13 weeks.  I'm not saying the two are related... miscarriage is very common.  But, I can't help but wonder.  I have read the same research on the internet.

After that episode, I saw an endo and he slowly took me off the synthroid (thinking my hypothyroid was caused by pregnancy).  Well, I recently found out my levels have skyrocketed and am back on meds.  I told my endo this story and she was very worried that I was trying to get pregnant again.  She told me it's not a good idea until my thyroid is under control.  

I hope this helps.
Hi ,

I am also scared, 8th week and my TSH level is 4.88, I m just worried if this would harm the baby, Please share if someone has gone through same situation
hi,

target tsh in pregnancy is 1 - 2.  So you need increase in meds.
During pregnancy should be tested every 4 weeks, with meds then adjusted.
Should also test ft3 and ft4.  Both should be aintained in the upper 1/2 of the reference range.