Thyroid Disorders Community
High antibodies normal tsh

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

High antibodies normal tsh

Has anyone found a Md who will treat Hashimoto's when the TSH is within norm. I have very high antibodies. I am experiencing, Anxiety, Depression,Headaches,body aches, muscle twitches,eyes are dry and gritty,fatigue, ear pain. My GP sent me to an endo at Mass general in Boston Mass. He will not treat me.Although in the process he did find out that I was Deficient in Vitamin D. My Gp has worked me up for just about everything. All these symptoms are new within the past year. I feel like I've been going thru living hell. When I finally got a Diagnosis I thought there was hope until I ran into the endo who goes strictly by the book and not the symptoms. I mean he says yes you have Hashi"s but I don't feel you need treatment at this time. I'd like to see him go thru this and someone not treat him. Does anyone know of an endo in the Massachusetts area who will treat Hashis based on the antibodies and symptoms. Anyone who could help is apprecaited. I am an Rn and do know that the Dr. is not always right. Thanks for any input.

Denise
i am just about to start Levoxil this week for my Hashi's.  in the past two months, my TSH has been (in order from oldest to most recent) 7.83, 2.93 and 5.12.    only 1 of these was technically outside the range of normal, though my endo doctor acknowledged that lower ranges (between 1 and 2) are ideal for people with fluctuating ranges and Hashi's.  she is prescribing the hormones for me at a dosage of 50, but for the first 2 weeks i am to take half a pill (so, a dosage of 25...mg i think?) to introduce it to my system gradually.  i will have a checkup in 6 weeks from now.

i don't have any classic symptoms but when she felt my neck she felt the thyroid was beginning to develop a goiter and she thought this was a good measure to take at this point, given that my Hashis has probably been affecting my body for several years given the firmness of my gland now.

it can be done!  she was my second doctor and i really like her.  my first endo wasn't as proactive and didn't do a thorough job of examining me, so i probably won't go to him anymore.
Antibodies are not treated nor are they curable. The thyroid is treated per levels, from the damage that is done by the antibodies.  There is noting that can be done about the antibodies. Thereby, its not Hashi that is treated, its the hypo side of the disease that is, per levels.

Have your adrenals checked,  They have a lot of the same symptoms as thyroid.

Often people who are shown to be low thyroid (hypo) suffer from adrenal fatigue as well, and the adrenals must be supported in addition to the thyroid.

People can experience a worsening of their low-adrenal state , if they take thyroid hormone replacement medication, without correcting the adrenal insufficiency first. As well as experiencing worsening of thyroid symptoms which can cause worsening of the adrenal fatigue.

Cause of your symptoms might be due other health conditions that share some of the same symptoms as thyroid.

separately.  Like, eye drop for the eye, antidepressants for depression/anxiety. With one or two corrected might correct some of the other symptoms.

GL

Correction:  Each symptom might have to be treated separately. Like, eye drop for the eye, antidepressants for depression/anxiety. With one or two corrected, might correct some of the other symptoms.

TSH of 1 to 2 is treatment levels, not diagnose levels.....per US Government guidelines of 2004, as well as other thyroid medicals.  

A lot of people have antibodies who never come down with thyroid disease.

GL
Hi Denise,
Oh my I wish I could tell you something but I can't. I am so sorry you are going threw this. I have just been diagnosed last week with hashimoto after I having surgery to remove the left lobe as there was a nodule the size of a large marble and a couple of biospies were done with no results. It was so calcified Dr. said it was hard as bone. I can so relate to you about feeling terrible. I have felt that way for years but never would stick with just one Dr. because I thought they would tell me it was all in my head, quit whining and deal with getting older. I didn't know something could actually be wrong because my tsh always comes back normal too. My Dr. said I have probably had this for years and years because of the size of nodule and the calcifiation. My right lobe is not working as of yet I am 11 days post op and maybe never. Dr. said to wait 8 weeks to test my levels. That seems like a long time to me. I have been asking about that here on the boards. I have gotten some good responds. I have an excellent GP and I am going to see her and ask. The only thing I can say is find a new Dr. and keep looking till you find one that listen's and is willing to help.. It took me about 3 years to find my GP and I love her. I wish you lots of luck and hope you feel better soon. Nice to meet you..

Jean
Exactly how high were your antibodies?   My tpo was 353 and my TSH was within normal range on some labs and out of range on others.  My endo is treating me with Synthroid.  But also I have developed nodules so that is the other issue for me.

A.
I am not sure if they will treat but often I hear this site recommended:
http://www.thyroid-info.com/topdrs/maryland.htm
Whoop! Wrong state. lol Sorry about that:
http://www.thyroid-info.com/topdrs/massachusetts.htm