Thyroid Disorders Community
High cortisol and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hello all,
I am new here and looking for some guidance.  I am a 50ish woman with multiple health issues.  I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and recently was dx with high cortisol.  Interestingly, my DHEA was very low, as was my D3.  My doctor, who specializes in regular and alternative medicine, put me on DHEA supplements.  Since I have also gained oaver 30 lbs in the last two years, 20 of it within a 3 week period, I asked him how to lose the weight.  He said the DHEA would help, but gave no other suggestions.
I am on Armour Thyroid, 90 mg a day, and am going to have my levels checked this week.  Recently, before he put me back on Armour, he had been treating me with T3 and Synthroid for the possiblity of my body not getting enough T3 in the Armour.  He said that the Armour has a fixed ratio of T3 to T4 and some people need a little more T3 than that, so he likes to give the T3 separately.  I wondered why he didn't just increase T3.  He did not give me an answer other than that Armour is sometimes hard to get.
So, my question is how do I lose this weight?  I gained it all in my abdomen and fanny.  My doctors all just smile when I ask them how to lose the weight.  They act like its normal to gain this much weight after 50.  I am also on bioidentical hormone therapy, estradiol and progesterone, because my levels were too low.  I had been told that supplementing these would help me lose weight.  Well, I'm still waiting for that.
I just began taking an Adrenal Support supplement due to finding this problem with my cortisol and DHEA.  But to date no doctor has told me I could use a little help for my adrenals.
I also have what the doctors think is insomnia from the high cortisol at night.  It is VERY difficult to treat without lowering my cortisol.
Does anyone have a suggestion for how to lower my cortisol?  Also, I was told by my doctor that he doesn't think I need testing for Cushings, because my cortisol isn't that high.  It's high, he said but not as high as people with Cushings.
Thank you all for reading this long post and anyone who answers, I greatly appreciate it.