Thyroid Disorders Community
High cortisol but no weight gain
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

High cortisol but no weight gain

All my tests for cortisol are coming back high (DHEA is also high and aldosterone is very low)  I have lost weight, tho, rather than gained weight, a common symptom of Cushings.  I did the petrosal sinus sampling and it came back low so that told the endo it was adrenal - but a ct scan of the adrenals says they look perfectly normal.  Where is the cortisol coming from?  Can it be caused by something other than the adrenals, pituitary or ectopic tumor?  My thyroid blood test results: Free T4 is 1.3 (range 0.9-1.8) Thyroid stimulating hormone 1.16 (range 0.40-5.0), Total T3 86 (range 60-181) and testosterone 69 (range <86)  Are there thyroid problems that are not dedected by these blood results that could be causing high cortisol?  Thank you for any replies.  I have been searching for over a year now!
Tags: cortisol thyroid adrenal, high Cortisol, no weight gain
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
97953_tn?1193367871
There is no additional thyroid testing that would likely help.  If you have biochemical evidence of Cushing's, then you should continue trying to determine the source.  This may involve going to university based or Mayo Clinic type setting.
Blank
I have tried to determine the source of cortisol...including a petrosal sinus sampling, and cannot find it...plus I have lost weight (not cushionoide)  Additionally, my thyroid is swollen and stiff...
Blank
I have tried to determine the source of cortisol...including a petrosal sinus sampling, and cannot find it...plus I have lost weight (not cushionoide)  Additionally, my thyroid is swollen and stiff...
Blank
This might be a longshot but try getting your parathyroid gland tested - this causes high calcium and evidence shows that additionally, this may cause high cortisol levels. I'm in the prcoess of trying to get to the bottom of a complex endo issue myself. Your symptoms sound alot like mine.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...