Thyroid Disorders Community
Hives, Angiodema & Hashimoto's - Is there anything else I can ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hives, Angiodema & Hashimoto's - Is there anything else I can do???

In October of 2005, i started with EXTREME Angiodema of the face as well as SEVERE chronic hives.  (I have Hashimoto's as well.) This lasted until June of 2006.  I doctored all that time, being put on steroids, allergy meds, and cyclosporine.

Now, the hives are back.  They started again the week before Christmas.  I take my allergy meds every day and they help minimally--I have an appt. to see my immunologist/allergist this month.  My endocrinologist says there is nothing she can do for me.  I know that the immunologist will want to put me on steroids for a brief period, but my experience with that is once the meds wear off, the hives come back even worse than what they were to start with.

Isn't there any other form of treatment that can be tried??  Or should I see some other specialist??
Are you on any Thyroid Med.s? With Hasi's it is not uncommon to have hives and or dematalogical problems. It is a problem associated with Hasimoto. Having said that it is usually brought under control with thyroid medication...tho the antibodies may still cause problems and will never go away completely. Are you happy with your Endo? If not get a second opinion...seems like prolong steriod use is not the best of options. Good luck
Hives are autoimmune.  Autoimmunity is controlled through balanced suppression of the immune system. Corticosteroids and immunosuppressant medications (including cyclophosphamide or azathioprine) are used to reduce the immune response.

I would work on the aspect by building the immune system through vitamins/minerals and nurtition.

six major factors affecting our immune systems:
antibiotic overuse and misuse
pollution and environmental toxins
stress and emotional state
genetic makeup
lifestyle
nutritional status
The order here is significant, in that if they are listed in the order of least to greatest significance; meaning: your nutritional status and lifestyle override your genetic makeup.

Good Luck!

Thank you both for your input.  I have been on synthroid medication for about 7 years now.  I will take heed to both of your comments.  

Thank you again for responding - It's nice to know there are people out there who care! :)

Jo Ellen
I, too, started with angioedema on my face, then the chronic hives started.  (Have also had dematographism for 9 years - Zyrtec treatment)  Symptoms became unbearable.  Allergist upped Zyrtec to another 10 mg and added ranitidine 300 mg.(generic Zantac - also a histamine blocker) at night.  This has prevented the swelling, but hives are there daily.  Thyroid function is normal, but blood test revealed very high antibodies -- possible Hashimoto's.  Went to endo.  She put me on low dose of Synthroid, 50 mcg, to see if this does anything for the hives down the road.   So far, nothing, but it's only been 1 week.  Also, two weeks ago started to experience hair loss (ugggghhh - more upsetting than the hives), and that was even before I started on Synthroid.  Anyone else out there like me???
Funny you should mention the hair loss. When I started getting serious hives 3 years ago, the hair loss started first. Also, I had spotting (I am 37 yrs old) for about 6 weeks at that same time. My OBGYN says she doubts that it is hormonal, but recently (after a 1 1/2 break from hives and the birth of my last child) the whole thing started over again.
I've read all the comments from the last few entries and am shocked. I thought I was the only one that has every had these symptoms. I had my third child in November, about two weeks later I woke up with a swollen lip. this happened several more times then I started braking out in  hives, mostly on the neck, wrists, chest and ankle area. I belive that i've broken out in hives in the groin area too... this being more like a deep tissue brake out, because I've felt as if I were getting a  yeast infection because I itched bad, but with in about a half hour the itch just stopped. The itching happened mostly at night time in the beginning, but now they are bothering me all day long.
Regarding the hair loss... well, I have a lot of hair anyway...so loosing it in the shower was no big deal, but I've notice an increase in the amount of hair I'm losing. I haven't been to a Doctor, because it seems like everything I'm reading just states that there is not much they can do. So my question is... "Why is this happing?!" and "What can i do about it?!"
Is there anyone out there with any advice on the hives? this is driving me crazy... constant itching, the hives and no end in site. please if anyone has any encouragement I really need to hear it. Thanks.
I am hypo too (for 20 years!) and after the birth of my baby, I started with hives daily too.  Allergist had no answers and I hate endos.  I found a JAMA study about taking B12 vitamins to eliminate hives and tried it.  I take a B Complex vitamin everyday I haven't had ANY in a year and a half!!
I am hyper due to level of thryoid med for cancer supression and was diagnosed with Graves Disease Sep 06, had TT in Dec 06.  About 2-3 months ago I started noticing hives on my neck (almost looks like a big necklace) and forearms.  They don't itch too bad but are rather ugly looking.  I have allergies and take Zyrtec-D about 3-4 days out of the week.  Does any one hyper also get hives?  I may try the B complex vitamin.
i have hoshimotos hypothyroidism, i've also started breaking out in hives..about every other day. i noticed its at night. i get them on my foreams,feet an and neck.. I thought i was allergic to something , now i know it is related to my disease.I will need to talk to my endo, to see what in need to do, I just changed my levoxyl dosage 3 wks ago,
I also have Hashimotos-diagnosed 6 years ago but now realize it happened 4 days after having my first child (at 22!) broke out in uncontrolled hives. I have been doing well until last month. I have acute hives, angiodema, anaphylatic symptoms (tight chest, throat closing up) and syncope. I have been on prednisone for 2 weeks and each time I ween off the hives cover my entire body and leave bruising in their wake. My thyroid antibody levels are over 6000 and TSH 10.9. I started Levothyroxine almost 2 years ago instead of synthroid (75mcg). This all started 4 days after starting a new batch from pharmacy. Doctor thinks that generic form may not be absorbing into my blood. I have been on synthroid (75mcg) for 5 days now and still not able to go off prednisone. I hope I can offer some help to all of you once I get some answers because I understand your frustration, fear, and desperation.
I had a subtotal thyroidectomy 19 years ago following post partum thyrotoxicosis. I have sufferd from urticaria before but now have the worst episode which includes angioedema, antihistamines are helping but not stopping, recent blood test shows raised platelets, whats happening????????????
I to have been on thyroid meds for like 21 years and in the past 2 1/2 years I had been breaking out in hives and the swelling on the face and lips. It is driving me nuts. I really thik that it is the thyroid medicine. I think that they have changed it and something in it is causing me to break out. One thing that I have found that helps me is taking a hot bath in Epson salt and Lavendar. The Epsom salt is actually for my Fibromyalgia that I have and the Lavendar helps relax and soothes the itching. But I really seriously think that they have changed something in the medication that is causing us to break out. I did find that the name brand synthroid has acacia in it which is a plant , it is used to hold the pills together. I have recently been switched to Levoxyl and I am hoping maybe that helps or I am going to possibly try going to a compounded thyroid pill and see what happens. this is driving me nuts. For all of us to have the same problems we have got to find out what is going on .
I started having chronic hives and angioedema after I stopped nursing my 2nd child.  I also started losing my hair. I saw specialist after specialist.  I am from a family of physicians.  Eight months after the symptoms began, I started Lexapro and the symptoms resolved within 2 weeks
I have had chronic hives and angioedema for the past 2 1/2 years.  I was given many different diagnosis, including "idiopathic" or unknown cause.  I just recently found out that I get a serum sickness reaction to ibuprofen and aspirin (both are NSAIDS).  What that means, is that if I take ibuprofen on Monday, I don't get a reaction until the following Tuesday.  I stopped taking the aspirin and NSAIDs, and all of my hives and angioedema have gone and not come back.  If you are taking any of these meds, try going off of them.  You need to stay off of them for 3 weeks for them to stop causing hives and angioedema.
Hives are not autoimmune.  There is a cause to them.  I dealt with them and facial swelling for 2 1/2 years.  I finally found out that I have a serum sickness reaction to NSAIDs, so when I take ibuprofen or aspirin, or naproxen, a week later, I break out in hives and my face swells up.  I stopped the NSAIDs and have not had a single hive since.