Thyroid Disorders Community
How big *should* your thyroid be?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

How big *should* your thyroid be?

OK, so I realize that this is probably a stupid question, but I find the answer nowhere, so...  How big is your thyroid supposed to be?  Or, put another way, where is it in your neck relative to, e.g., your chin, your larynx, etc.?  I have been having a lot of swelling, but I really don't know what is lymph nodes and what might be my actual thyroid.

Thanks!
I'm surprised you haven't come across good info or diagrams on this...

Perhaps someone here who has before and after surgery photos in their profile might answer with the suggestion to look at them.  I think that would give you a good idea.

Anyone with such?
Each lobe is about 2 by 3.5cm  
Okay, now why couldn't you have been more clear with me...lol! Now you're speaking my language, rather than the "between 8 & 18 cubic centimeters" ;-P...How big from front to back is it?
So here comes another dumb question, & this will actually serve me the rest of my life if I can remember it. When you say 2 x 3.5 are you going from side to side, then top to bottom? And when you see measurements on a box in a store how does that go? Length, width, & height?
And NO laughing at me for not knowing :))
The lobe is of “flattened grape” shape, so dimensions are the longest overall in each direction [length x width x thickness]; most commonly given dimensions are length by width; 1 inch =2.54 cm; the size of the isthmus is commonly ignored only thickness of it is given on most ultrasound reports and it is excluded while calculating volume, as well as pyramidal lobe.
The volume is calculated by:
· Multiplying L times W times T for each lobe;
· Adding two products together
· Taking half of this sum.

Two last steps are necessary due to ultrasound machine errors and the shape of each lobe
[Grape-like, not the box-like].

The normal size for the given population [residents of Fresno, CA for example] is considered to be the same as the AVERAGE of 85 % of all individuals screened.
Lets assume for the sense of argument that it equals 12 cubic centimeters. Then volume of 15 cubic centimeters is considered enlargement, however such volume will be normal in the different geographical area.
You should also note that during the thyroidits, the thyroid increases in density in most cases without changing its size a lot.
Thank you - this is very helpful!  I know that I'm surely over-reacting, but I woke up on Thursday morning with a whole new chain of lymph nodes swollen and painful to the touch...  I guess I just don't think it's normal to have lymph nodes swollen so much for the past 4 months without having had a cold, or flu, or other obviously head-related problem... but the doctor doesn't seem to think it's a big deal.  And so I should just relax.
w.df. 47 I have a 8.7mm nodule on rt. of my thyroid. so how much of my thyroid is covered?
Hello!  I have a high signel nodule in the inferior rt. aspect of the rt. lob of  the thyroid it is 8.7mm how much of my thyroid is covered: