Thyroid Disorders Community
How do I boost my metabolism post thyroidectomy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I have had a total thryoidectomy for thyroid cancer 12 years ago, age 40.  Two years ago I had  ablation therapy so I had to go off my thyroid medication because my thyroglobulin levels were going up.  So to make a long story short, it took about a year to completely get back to feeling "human" again and having any energy.  My problem is that I am now going through menopause and have gained about 40 lbs and haven't had much luck losing the weight, short of starving myself.  Is there anything I can do to increase my metabalism?  My doctor said it would only be increased with more thyroid medication but that my levels are normal. Will exercise help with my metabolism or will it only burn the calories for the amount of exercise that I do?  Walking is very difficult at this time partly because of the weight gain and polio.  Thank you for any help you can provide.
I have read that  metabolism decreases 5 or more percent for each decade past adolesence.
Exercise does increase metabolism and if it is difficult for you, perhaps swimming would be possible? It is gentler on the body than other forms. Swimming is also one of the best exercises for calorie burning for the least amount of time invested. Better than jogging I believe.