How do you get rid of a goiter?
Hi, I'm new here!  I was diagnosed with Hashi's / hypoT early this year.  I have a goiter, they say its about 2 times the size of a normal one.  Anyways, I was wondering how do you shrink it or make it go away?  I can't sleep on my side anymore because of this darn thing, if I do it puts pressure on my windpipe making me feel like I'm not getting enough air, so I am stuck sleeping on my back ONLY..  Please Help!

Not to many Hashis people actually have goiters. I believe a goiter is the thyroid gland getting swelled up from the antibodies attacking process of Hashimoto. Many of us have nodules (small tumours) around the thyroid gland - that by description is not a goiter.

So, you are on thyroid replacement hormone now right? That is the first step. But you do not mention if you take anything.  ?
Thank you for your reply!  I apologize for being vauge with my story.

I was diagnosed hashi's / hypoT  early this year with a TSH of 127 and quickly rising.  I had labs done aprox 2-3 weeks later and my TSH was 144 with a FT4 of 0.03 with these labs I was put on 50 mcg's name brand Synthroid for 2 weeks and was told to take 100 mcg's for 6-8 weeks and come back in for labs.  At that time she said I had a goiter and sent me for an ultrasound of my thyroid.  I can't find the report at this moment but its approximately 2 times the normal size and slightly hyper vascular.  NO nodules or anything to worry about that I know of, just a big gland.  So I switched doc's because my diagnosing doc was very inattentive and made me feel like my questions didn't warrant her time.  So I found a new doc and so far so good.  She upped my Synthroid to 125 mcg's and I am supposed to come back in 3 months.  New doc tested my Vit D and it turns out I was deficient there as well.  I go back for labs in approximately 5-6 wks and at that time she will be running a fully thyroid panel, Vit D, B-12, CBC, and Cholesterol.  

So back to the goiter, if I get the slightest inflammation from a cold or just a scratchy throat it makes the day last forever.  I have to keep my head in a certain position so I can feel like  I can breath appropriately.  

I appreciate you help!  Thank you
Goiter is such a generic term, I'm surprised the doc used it. At least you dont have nodules and its most likely inflamed from being hypo for who knows how long.

Several hear have reported their thyroid temporarily swelling, and at that time it seems other symptoms do temporarily escalate, then subside in short time (days, weeks). I have had that, and had to sleep in a certain position to breath. Funny, I figured it out after docs spent time and some of my money on sleep studies for apnea. I technically did not have apnea, it was the thyroid swelling, but they dont have official studies that confirm this with the general population they said. LOL Well, I was a 'official studie wasnt I'.? At one time being a doctor meant being part detective, not just a data reviewer.

I doubt I made a difference in the 'medical studies' area concerning thyroid.
The WHO establishes the upper limit of thyroid size as 18 cu cm for females and 22cu cm for males; the average volume in the US is about 8 cu cm.
A goiter is an enlarged thyroid; irrespective of nodules.  It's possible that your thyroid has swollen to a point where it is truly pressing against your windpipe, making it difficult to breathe.  

I'm surprised that your doctor(s) are letting you go so long between retests.  Normally, when one is first diagnosed, they will be put on some kind of med (usually synthroid or generic levothyroxine), then retested in 5-6 weeks.  I was retested every 6 weeks for well over a year after I was diagnosed.  I, too, have hypo/Hashi......

Some say that being on thyroid hormones (i.e. synthroid or levothyroxine) will shrink the goiter.  I have been on thyroid med for right at 2 yrs and I recently had a u/s -- my goiter (enlarged thyroid) has not changed.  I have nodules as well, but they, too, have remained the same.  

Thank you for taking the time to read my question and giving your opinions!  I greatly appreciate it!
My thyroid swelling went down and the antibody attacks stopped after I quit gluten. Look at my profile pictures.

:) Tamra
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_I9PLUg0lM

Iodine: The Most Misunderstood Nutrient Presented by David Brownstein MD