Thyroid Disorders Community
How do you increase your ferritin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

How do you increase your ferritin

Hi there,
My ferritin is at 11 range (15 to 204) i have read for Eltroxine to function correctly my ferritin should be no lower than 70.
How do i boost my ferritin.
Currently i am taking the following supplements:
Floradix 2 x 10ml per day
selenium 100ug 1 per day
omega 3,6,9 1000mg 2 x per day
is the more i could be doing?

thanks
samhradh
My 16 year old has POTS and even with an iron rich diet her ferritin level was 10 (11-307). Many with POTS seem to have difficulty with storing iron.   The rest of her Iron levels were within what is considered a normal range.  I did feel her PCT saturation while still within range was at the lower end.  She has been on Iron 65 mg (equivalent to 325 mg of ferritin) twice a day with meals since June 2011 (tablet form) We rechecked her ferritin level in Sept. and she was up to 29 (10-120). Have they done Iron, Total Iron Bind Cap., PCT saturation along with the ferritin levels?  It sounds like you are on a liquid form of iron. I did some checking and it appears as though taking 10 ml of Floradix twice each day will result in a daily iron consumption of 20 mg each day so that seems like you might not be getting enough.  I would try increasing that (note the level my daughter is on, she is on a total of 130 mgs of iron per day, which is 650 mg of ferritin).  Do it gradually and always take it with food, and have your levels checked again.  You might also want to try taking just iron tablets ( I know the floradix has other things in it),

Thanks a million for the detailed reply.
I do not know what POTS is??? sorry.
Also all of the other Iron levels are within range mostly in the upper levels.
I am waiting the latest blood results hopefully by the end of this week, so i'll chat to the GP about the correct course of action.
I plan on starting NDT in about a month so want to have things in good condition to give it the best chance of working .

list of things checked not sure what most of them are for, i am slowly finding out how all these link in to Hypothyroid symptoms,
RBC Haemoglobin Haematocrit MCV MCH MCHC platelets WBC Neutrophils Lymphoctes Monocytes Eosinophils Basophils Nucealeated RBCs

Sodium Potassium Chlorides Urea Creatinine Total proteins Albumin Globulin Bilirubin total Alkaline phosphatase ALT             ( GPT) Gamma-GT LDH

Cholesterol (total) Triglycerides Cholesterol ( HDL) Cholesterol ( LDL) C reactive protein TSH Free      T 4 Free T3 Total T3

Calcium corr. Calcium phosphate magnesium ESR Glucose vit B12 folic acid ferritin iorn
POTS stands for postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome.  It is an autonomic nervous system disorder.  Basically any of the things that are automatic in the body can have problems.  Her digestion, heart rate, blood pressure, pupil dilation, etc. all get affected. When she stands up her heart rate can increase 30-50 points and it's like she is in aerobic mode.   She also is being watched for thyroid issues but interestingly enough since her ferritin was increased and she is on fludrocort (mineral cortisone) for low blood pressure, her thyroid tests are now normal and since she doesn't present with hypothyroid we are just watching it while new medications were introduced to control her heart rate and blood pressure.  Overall she is doing well for a young person with POTS.  There is much information on this site about making sure you test for both the free T3 and the free T4 and if you post your tests results there are knowledgable people in the forum to give you their take on results.