Thyroid Disorders Community
How do you know if wound is infected?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

How do you know if wound is infected?

Mine is not swollen but is pink around it.  My neighbor is a dermatologist and she thinks it looks like an infection may be starting and I should call my ENT tomorrow for an antibiotic.  Can anyone tell me how an infection looks when it starts?
You just had your surgery...it will be pink for a couple of weeks...I was told to watch for oozing from the stitches...Are your stitches out yet?  You can't put anything on until your stitches are out.  When mine came out the surgeon had me put on Bacitrin (it's like Neosporin)...And after a few weeks I started the Mederma on the scar.  Hope this helps!
Didn't your surgeon put you on antiobiotics for the first week to help prevent infection?  Mine did...
No my doc did not put me on antibiotics and I have been using bactroban and peroxide.  Mine is not oozing - just pink and a little tender.
You may want to call your doctor's office just to make sure nothing is going on and for peace of mind...I know my scar was pink for a couple of weeks...I'm at week 5 of post TT...
Mine was pink, swollen, and sore for months after both surgeries.  My surgeon gave me antibiotics in the IV during both surgeries.  I wouldn't have known if I didn't ask so you may have had antibiotics too (I was told it is standard practice at my hospital).
Here is link to what mine looked like ... the "red" will give you a good indication that it was in need of attention.. I just knew something was very wrong and it really hurt alot, too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/ChitChat9/thyroid/Feb17ThyroidScarOuch.jpg

Cheryl
How long were you out of surgery when that picture was taken?  Mine is just pink all around and a little puffy and tender.  I am 10 days post TT.  I will call my doc in the am.  Thanks!
I had a wound infection that were stitch abcesses.  

IMPORTANT:  If you see any kind of red streaking that goes away and outward from the wound it is very important you go to a Dr. immediately.

Sounds like it is the wound healing and there usually can be a rim of pink along the border of the wound.  Like new skin but very pink.

My infection started with intense itching and hot, tenderness .... then it went on to develop into a boil and weeping area.  I was put on very strong oral antibiotics immediately and eventually it all calmed down.

Any kind of discharge/oozing other than the normal small am't you can get is another red flag to call/see your Dr.

Let us know how you are doing ...

Cheryl

Believe it or not this was like 7 weeks post op or something like that!!!!  

I've had many mole excisions with 12-15 stitches and I *think* I know the pink you are referring to ... it may be skin around wound that is etiher new or irritated by the whole process, but call your Dr. to be certain.

I, too, had IV  antibiotics I think .. I had asked about that, too when in the hosp as found it odd not taking any as usually I take them about my mole excision and/or any kind of surgery to the skin.

Cheryl