Thyroid Disorders Community
How does testosterone therapy work? What are the steps used to get to t...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

How does testosterone therapy work? What are the steps used to get to treatment?

I'm getting a blood test next month and I'm wondering if all blood tests check for testosterone levels? And if most blood tests don't check for testosterone levels, what can I do or what do I have to do in order to make sure that my testosterone levels are found out?

I am certain, without a doubt that I have hypogonadism, (probably primary hypogonadism), and I want to know if blood tests check for testosterone levels so that I can hopefully get referred to a urologist/endocrinologist so that i can get prescribed androgel or testosterone shots.

Just wondering, how likely is it that your family doctor will tell you to see a urologist/endrocrinologist if your regular and free testosterone levels are below 300ng/dl? I know for medical costs, doctor's won't refer most people to these types of specialists unless their situations are dire, so that they can keep health care costs down.

Sidenote: I personally believe that my regular and free testosterone levels are below 100ng/dl.

Any help or constructive advice would be really great, seriously. thanks

Additional Details

I don't know if I should say this or not, but in addition to feeling Extremely fatigued/lethargic, depressed, mood swings/irritable, anxiety and experiencing extremely dry skin, muscle loss, poor sleep, diminished hair growth, having trouble remembering and concentrating on anything (even the most basic of tasks), and frequent urination....my testicles have shrunken to the size of medium-seized grapes in a matter of months. So I'm positive that my testicular atrophy is being caused by primary hypogonadism.

5 months ago, in May, I was 5'8", 142 lbs, and a medium build. Now 4 months later (september), I'm 5'6", 126 lbs, and I'm very skinny now. I'm 18 years old, and I looked like I was 16 in May, but I now seriously look like a 12 year old.

Tags: hypgonadism low testosterone, Testosterone Therapy, primary hypogonadism, Depression, prostatitus
This is a thyroid forum, so we may not be able to answer all your questions satisfactorily.

Testosterone is not always tested automatically, with other blood tests.  You will need to talk to your primary doctor and explain the situation, possibly asking, specifically, for the tests you want.  If it's determined that you do, in fact, have hypogonadism, it would be up to your primary doctor to refer you to an endocrinologist, if s/he does not feel comfortable treating you.  

You would need to make sure that the problem is really primary, and not central, which would indicate a problem with either the pituitary or hypothalamus.

Since you seem to be losing a lot of weight and you have a lot of thyroid-like symptoms, you should also ask to get your thyroid levels tested.  Initial thyroid tests should include TSH, Free T3 and Free T4, along with thyroid antibodies.  You have symptoms of both, hypo and hyperthyroidism.  
ok. thanks for the advice and help.
I can help.   You need to find out what your total testestorone is.  Free does not matter much until you get on therapy.  The free is almost like "tsh" with thyroid.   You want to keep it under a certain amount.  The idea is to increase so your levels are from 400-800.   Ill be happy to help you once you get your results.

Axiron or androgel are okay, but best results come from a weekly or biweekly injection.   Dont be scared, they are painless and easy to do.  You can also control easier how much you are on.  If your blood work shows too much, its easy to decrease, or increase as needed.

I felt the difference of testosterone therapy immediately.  I am 45, lean , muscular,  and have been on testosterone for about 6 months.

month 1  -  increase libido
month 2 -  fat goes away - replace by lean muscle
month 3  -  increase in bone density and additional lean muscle

there are some bad side effects to watch for as well.  Its a delicate cycle.