Thyroid Disorders Community
How long after surgery till levels drop?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hi all, another question from me, but alas I am not able to do much but think and prey this will be over sometime soon.

How long after a TT does it take for the Thyroid levels to drop without medication in your system to be getting symptoms?

I had surgery last Wed, have not started medication as yet and a bit confused.

Thanks everyone
We are all different.  Usually it takes about 6 weeks for thyroid levels to stabilize but after a TT your TSH level should climb quickly.  I was taken off thyroid meds for RAI last November and I went from 2.1 TSH to 75.9 TSH in just three weeks.

Are you being followed by and endocrinologist?  If so, please keep in close touch with him/her.  They should have put you on thyroid replacement right after TT unless you have RAI in your future soon.  If you are not medicated your TSH levels will probably climb very high and you will enter HypoHell - NOT a fun place to be.

Part of the confusion you may be feeling may be related to hypothyroidism.

Here's some of the symptoms of hypothyroidism:
Fatigue
Weakness
Weight gain or increased difficulty losing weight
Coarse, dry hair
Dry, rough pale skin
Hair loss
Cold intolerance (can't tolerate the cold like those around you)
Muscle cramps and frequent muscle aches
Constipation
Depression
Irritability
Memory loss
Abnormal menstrual cycles
Decreased libido

http://www.endocrineweb.com/hypo1.html

If you don't have an endo, please call your hospital and get a referral ASAP.

Hang in there!
Hey, they did not put me on medication, they said they would this week.  So now I cant tell what is hypo and what is post-op. . . . Surgeon will give me low dose I believe and then I need to be followed up by GP.

Today I suddenly became very tired and weak and had to lay down.  Fuzzy headaches and just this odd feeling plus tiers and feeling frustrated and lonely.

I am getting better with pain, but swelling keeps coming up the more I do and then the pain gets worse!

Another night of waiting but I see the surgeons tomorrow at 3:30pm
Let us know how you make out @ the surgeon and definitely ask WHAT CAUSED the bruising and swelling and not just if it is "okay" ... you have a right to know what made that happen.

C~
The feelings you are describing sound like hypothyroidism.  It's not a normal thing after surgery to feel like you are feeling.  When you meet with the surgeon please ask that they check your TSH levels.  You might want to insist on an endocrinologist too - not just a GP.  Thyroid meds take a specialist.
Saw the surgeon, all stitches out - NO Cancer! and start medication tomorrow.  They said as I had the thyroid plus such a large goiter removed (6.8cm) that is why I have had so much discomfort.
Hopefully all will improve with time.  Was supposed to return to work this Fri, have posponed that to next Monday now.  Thanks agian
I'm so glad there was no cancer!  Wahoo!!  Rest and get feeling better.  I'm glad you gave yourself some additional time before going to work.  Now log off and rest!  :-)
hi i am new to this forum i have been told i have hyperparathyroidism, my calcium levels are within normal range but at the top end, scans and ultrsounds did not show evedence of anything.i have been referred to a surgeon. i am also being treated for reuhmatoid arthritus,  tests show extensive calcification of my trachea. i also have 'pitting' throughout my bronchial trees and to top it all i have thinning of the bones. i am beginning to panicso i suppose i am after some reassurance. i am only 44