Thyroid Disorders Community
How long before I begin to see results from Armour thyroid medication?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hello everyone.  I began taking Armour thyroid medication about a month ago.   I am taking 1 grain twice per day.  Some of my symptoms have improved: I noticed that a minor surgical scar from 9 months ago which wasn't healing, all of a sudden healed completely, some mild acne on my upper arms has vanished, and my temperature has come up a bit, but I haven't yet lost any weight.  In fact, I think I have gained a couple of pounds.  I am worried about this.  I suspect that I became hypothyroid after taking Zoloft about 15 years ago.  All of a sudden after starting that medication, my metabolism changed, even though my diet didn't, and I became relatively lethargic.  My response was to eat less and less, and to exercise more, but my weight didn't budge.  I suspected my thyroid was the problem, but I was only recently diagnosed as being hypothyroid.  I am thrilled to finally be on a medication that might help my metabolism, but so far NOTHING has changed.  I eat very little.  Did anyone else find that it took some time to feel improvement in their symptoms of hypothyroidism?

Actually I would likee to see some new testing so we can see where your levels are at.  I would like to see new testing of TSH, FT3, FT4.   When you have this testing, please post, including reference ranges.  Without knowing what your levels are we can't really tell if your medications are adequate or not.

Sounds like a lot has changed, just not your weight yet.

Continue with good diet and eating habits and be patient.  It can take a while to get things adjusted.
It can take some time until you reach the proper dose (for me two years) and a while after that to reach steady state .
Most people starting on Natural Dessicated Thyroid still need increases after one month. So one month in most would still have some symptoms.

I hope your doctor started you lower than what your target dose was. The correct starting method for Armour is a lower dose increased 1/4 grain every two weeks to target dosage.

Also keep in mind, the Armour brand was reformulated this spring and does not work as well for some people as it used to. In the US, many changed to Nature Throid, and there became a shortage of it. Its being shipped to pharma distributors now.
Sounds like the weight issue is what your concerned with and the symptoms of thyroid are getting better with your med.

Weight is very tricky with hypothyroidism and desiccated thyroid ( Armour) can increase metobolism - but the real truth on that - is it works for a very small population of thyroid patients. You don't just get on Armour and the weight falls off - that happens hardly ever.

Hypothyroid effects insulin levels and lepitin resistance- along with cortisol levels. It's like a puzzle when weight starts to pack on and we - as the thyroid patient - need to alter a huge amount of diet changes and supplements to kick start the weight loss into happening.

I suggest you look into low glycemic index information and the foods involved along with dropping lactose and processed foods, sugar. This change in eating is almost set for all thyroid patients to achieve weight loss. Also, as LM says, optimal levels in desiccated thyroid meds - comes in time. Your feeding the thyroid the hormones it was wanting - but in reality - you will probably need increases to fully achieve optimal levels permanently. You will eventually find a set point with the meds - it just takes some time to get there.

LM - also stated the change in Armour and that is true - Almost all natural desiccated thyroid patients were ( or are)  started  on Armour. Many of us, as I - had the chance to get the old formula. When the new Armour was out - which all of it is now the NEW product - so many of us feel horribly sick and right back into hypo-land. Almost all Old Formula Armour patients have dropped that med and gone to other natural desiccated products. New comers just hearing about Armour think it still is good - but really you can get so much more out of Naturethroid right now - then what Armour has to offer.
My pharmacy still can not get westhroid or nature throid.  is yours getting it?  I read on the Stop the thryoid madness site that there are several countries who has Natural Desiccated medication available.  - the one with the best results was from Thialand.  Thyroid - S .  Ever hear about it?  
There is a post on Nature throid - shipping this week to distributors. Or pharmas, if direct.
Yes - I have and currently I am taking ERFA Thyroid from Canada.
Hello, it appears you have got some great advice here. I have Graves Disease and took RAI for which i have the rest of my life to regret. During my many hours of pearing over medical testing I learned that one thing ALL thyroid patients have in common, if they are Hyper or Hypo is large amounts of L- Carnitine in our urine. This is an Amino Acid.  The clinical studies show that for some reason we use more of this, or more gets wasted. So off I went to the health Food Store to purchase some... Expensive , like 25.00 a bottle. Body Builders and Weight Watchers are using it, this is why it is a bit pricey BUT it is not harmful, and will give you ENERGY and no matter what you eat almost you will at first drop some pounds. I did not need to drop any pounds, but I went Hypo after the RAI for a short duration and found it was a miserable place to be. With a TSH of 50.6 I had to force myself to do anything. After two weeks of taking L-Carnitine I had energy and a month later I was a Buzz Saw.  Relax, spend some money and time on yourself and google Clinical Studies for L-Carnitine and Thyroid, I promise you, you will be made very happy. Good Luck and Best wishes.
L tyrosine is a better supplement for the thyroid, it is an amino acid. it is found in milk and dairy and you can get the free form powder, just 1/4 teaspoon in water or in a smoothie in the morning will boost thyroid function, along with eating 2 or 3 brazil nuts per day for adequate selenium. both are critical for thyroid function.  I did get a boost from them while I waited for my thyroid tests to come in.  2 weeks later, I'm on thyroid 1/4 grain to start. I knew it was my thyroid out of whack but the doctors are useless. I had to BEG to be tested for a full panel. they only did TSH which was normal...
Avocadoes are an Excellent source of tyrosine as well, as are almonds. I had a left lobectomy 3 weeks ago  and my TSH indicated hypothyroidism 10 days after  surgery. My right lobe is supposed to be doing the work for  both sides but it hasnt kicked in yet. I heard it takes about 4-6 weeks for levels to get back to normal. I have a script for Armour Thyroid but am waiting to start it. The worst of my hypo symptoms is the detached feeling/fogginess. After I eat an avocado, I snap right out of it. I also take 50 mg of selenium with 500 mg of cinnamon. Cinnamon is a great source of iodine. Diet is sooo important for hyper/hypothyroidism.
No supplement will help a thyroid that no longer works (as with Hashimoto's); once the thyroid has "died" out and no longer produces hormones, nothing will bring it back again. The only option is thyroid replacement hormones, in the form of either synthetic or desiccated pills, to be taken daily.