How long do you wait for Lab results?
One of my pet peeves is having a blood draw and waiting 7-8 days for the results.  I know things are bad if I hear in 48 hours, but if I have somewhat 'normal' results is it unwarranted to want to get them in the same timeframe? I am sick of having to call the doctors office to hound them for my labs.
I hear you! I was in HYPO HE// and had blood drawn.. didnt get results for 2 plus weeks! I freaked out! What was the point of the labs. By the time I got the results I needed more labs!! My Dr now has them within 24-48 hours!!!!
Routine labs are run the day they are drawn.  If labs need to be 'sent out', that can take a week or better.  I have just found out that you can go to the facility that drew your labs and get your own medical records . . .for a fee, of course.  Not sure if that's the case everywhere, though.  Since I work for the healthcare system where I have my labs drawn, I can actually get a copy of all my medical records for free!!!  I can get my results before my MD appts.  :-)
For TSH and Free T4 tests, They do the draw about 9:00AM and I pick up my copy after lunch.

I live in a small town with a very modern hospital.

Other tests take longer. Unless they are sent out though, next day service is standard.
I know where I get labs done, TSH is always ready within 48 hours, thyroglobulin takes longer...about a week.  They send them out.  As someone else already said, you can always get copies of your own records.  Unfortunately, you can't MAKE the doctor's office call you...though it sure would be nice if you could.
Mine is exceptional.  The next day usually!  If normal and no change of course then the Nurse calls; otherwise the Doc calls me the next day .. even if all doesn't come back together she'll call as it comes in and she told me the first visit to expect 3 separate calls on the 11 vials taken!

Cheryl
I have found that tests "in house " can be done as AR said within hours.

On the other hand if a test needs to be sent out you can call the outside lab the next day and have the test sent directly to you via fax.

Just did that myself my last draw with ACL lab.

Plus believe it or not - the lab people seem very helpful - more so than some office staff.