THYROID DISORDERS
COMMUNITY
How long does it take for Synthroid to leave your system after ceasing to take it?
by BertRob, Aug 31, 2009
I was wondering how long after ceasing to take Synthroid does it leave your system.  I had been taking 150's up until 3 weeks ago.  When I originally started taking Synthroid I had a TSH of over 6.0.  My doctor started me on 50's then 100's then 150's increasing over several months.  I decided to go to an Endocrinologist after not feeling any better.  He took me off Synthroid because he wanted to get blood tests done again to see where my TSH and T4 levels stood without Synthroid.  I went in for these tests approximately 7 days after stopping my 150 Synthroid dosage.  I FINALLY received the test results from those blood tests and they revealed my TSH of 0.109 and T4 of 1.04.  It's confusing to me and I wonder if the Synthroid just had not gotten out of my system or can a TSH fluctuate?
Member Comments (22)
by laura1967Blank, Aug 31, 2009
It takes 4-6 weeks for T4 meds to build up in your system properly.
Why on earth your dr would pull you off meds doesn't make any sense to me. He should have just tested you as you were and adjusted meds from there......in my opinion. If it was me, I would question his motives and find out why.
As well, you should have ALL the proper tests done: TSH, Free T4 and Free T3. dont' accept the total t4 and total t3 tests.....those are outdated. The Free's show the most active form of thyroid hormone in your body. TSH shows pituitary function.
by BertRob, Aug 31, 2009
I question it believe me.  I can understand wanting to retest and find a base level for himself but he also now wants me back on Synthroid but to only take it 6 days a week. 150mcg each day except for Sunday.  Why not just put me on a slightly lower dosage and have me take one every day?  This guy is so hard to get a hold of to ask questions as well.  I have about a thousand.  All their office did was send me the results by mail with 3 sentences on what I should do. Only mentioning getting back on Synthroid and Neglecting to mention my abnormal low cortisol level and my high Comp Metabolic panel  
by BertRob, Aug 31, 2009
Do you know how long it takes Synthroid to leave the body after not taking it anymore?
by magpieannie, Aug 31, 2009
Synthroid has a long 1/2 life.It reduces by half each week.
by BertRob, Aug 31, 2009
I sure wish a doctor would tell me these things.  Now I dont trust my last test results so much.  If it lasts so long in your system why on Earth do they say to take one every day?
by magpieannie, Aug 31, 2009
I guess to keep your levels consistent. However, my daughters free t4 was always high normal on Synthroid and her freet3 was always low normal. Did not convert enough of it in the body to the active t3 (has no gland). The body must have enough t3 available for it to function properly. She is now on Naturethroid, but it is hard to find right now.
by remar, Aug 31, 2009
Does your Dr want you to start back at 150mcgs? I would think he would start you at a lower dose since you've been off of it for at least 3 weeks. It's just not good to start and stop thyroid meds.
You need to take it every day because your thyroid is not working properly. Once you have hypothyroidism it usually is a life long thing and that's why you need meds everyday.
He really should have kept you on the meds and checked your levels. Your last results are probably not accurate.
So he did'nt check your FT3, FT4 and antibodies? You need those results to see if your converting Sythroid, which is an T4 med, to T3. That could be the problem.The anitibodies tests will show if you have Hashi's. Take care. Remar
by BertRob, Aug 31, 2009
The only Thyroid related tests done by my Endo were T4 Free which was 1.04 (normal range) and TSH which was .109 (low)  I know that my last test for TSH while I was fully on the 150 showed that my TSH was low indicating too high of a dosage, which is why I was wondering how long it takes to get out of my system.  It it takes more thana week then that would explain why my TSH is still showing low.  I'm not going to get back on the Synthroid until I get some real answers, especially since he's wanting me to jump back in at 150  but only 6 days a week.  That goes against everything I have ever heard about taking Synthroid.  
by BertRob, Aug 31, 2009
My girlfriend did some research and with the results I just posted above she said with those numbers I show mild hypothyroidism. The TSH is just a little too low meaning I need a slightly lesser Synthroid dosage.  My family doctor also originally told me that with hypo patients, he likes to get them to a TSH of around 1.00 which should eleviate symptoms.  No one has got it right yet.  I feel like I have just been a guinee pig for the past two years, and playing the waiting game.  What's worse than anything is when you know the test results are there on the doctor's desk but they wait two weeks to tell you what's up.  Everyday I sit here and wait is another day wasted.  If they had the symptoms too they could understand better I think.  It's misery most of the time.  I can't lose the weight I have gained no matter what I do