Thyroid Disorders Community
How long does it take for Synthroid to leave your system after ceasing ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

How long does it take for Synthroid to leave your system after ceasing to take it?

I was wondering how long after ceasing to take Synthroid does it leave your system.  I had been taking 150's up until 3 weeks ago.  When I originally started taking Synthroid I had a TSH of over 6.0.  My doctor started me on 50's then 100's then 150's increasing over several months.  I decided to go to an Endocrinologist after not feeling any better.  He took me off Synthroid because he wanted to get blood tests done again to see where my TSH and T4 levels stood without Synthroid.  I went in for these tests approximately 7 days after stopping my 150 Synthroid dosage.  I FINALLY received the test results from those blood tests and they revealed my TSH of 0.109 and T4 of 1.04.  It's confusing to me and I wonder if the Synthroid just had not gotten out of my system or can a TSH fluctuate?
It takes 4-6 weeks for T4 meds to build up in your system properly.
Why on earth your dr would pull you off meds doesn't make any sense to me. He should have just tested you as you were and adjusted meds from there......in my opinion. If it was me, I would question his motives and find out why.
As well, you should have ALL the proper tests done: TSH, Free T4 and Free T3. dont' accept the total t4 and total t3 tests.....those are outdated. The Free's show the most active form of thyroid hormone in your body. TSH shows pituitary function.
I question it believe me.  I can understand wanting to retest and find a base level for himself but he also now wants me back on Synthroid but to only take it 6 days a week. 150mcg each day except for Sunday.  Why not just put me on a slightly lower dosage and have me take one every day?  This guy is so hard to get a hold of to ask questions as well.  I have about a thousand.  All their office did was send me the results by mail with 3 sentences on what I should do. Only mentioning getting back on Synthroid and Neglecting to mention my abnormal low cortisol level and my high Comp Metabolic panel  
Do you know how long it takes Synthroid to leave the body after not taking it anymore?
Synthroid has a long 1/2 life.It reduces by half each week.
I sure wish a doctor would tell me these things.  Now I dont trust my last test results so much.  If it lasts so long in your system why on Earth do they say to take one every day?
I guess to keep your levels consistent. However, my daughters free t4 was always high normal on Synthroid and her freet3 was always low normal. Did not convert enough of it in the body to the active t3 (has no gland). The body must have enough t3 available for it to function properly. She is now on Naturethroid, but it is hard to find right now.
Does your Dr want you to start back at 150mcgs? I would think he would start you at a lower dose since you've been off of it for at least 3 weeks. It's just not good to start and stop thyroid meds.
You need to take it every day because your thyroid is not working properly. Once you have hypothyroidism it usually is a life long thing and that's why you need meds everyday.
He really should have kept you on the meds and checked your levels. Your last results are probably not accurate.
So he did'nt check your FT3, FT4 and antibodies? You need those results to see if your converting Sythroid, which is an T4 med, to T3. That could be the problem.The anitibodies tests will show if you have Hashi's. Take care. Remar
The only Thyroid related tests done by my Endo were T4 Free which was 1.04 (normal range) and TSH which was .109 (low)  I know that my last test for TSH while I was fully on the 150 showed that my TSH was low indicating too high of a dosage, which is why I was wondering how long it takes to get out of my system.  It it takes more thana week then that would explain why my TSH is still showing low.  I'm not going to get back on the Synthroid until I get some real answers, especially since he's wanting me to jump back in at 150  but only 6 days a week.  That goes against everything I have ever heard about taking Synthroid.  
My girlfriend did some research and with the results I just posted above she said with those numbers I show mild hypothyroidism. The TSH is just a little too low meaning I need a slightly lesser Synthroid dosage.  My family doctor also originally told me that with hypo patients, he likes to get them to a TSH of around 1.00 which should eleviate symptoms.  No one has got it right yet.  I feel like I have just been a guinee pig for the past two years, and playing the waiting game.  What's worse than anything is when you know the test results are there on the doctor's desk but they wait two weeks to tell you what's up.  Everyday I sit here and wait is another day wasted.  If they had the symptoms too they could understand better I think.  It's misery most of the time.  I can't lose the weight I have gained no matter what I do
Hi ,
I understand that you where treated initially by your GP and he put you on 150 mcg/day,
and your tsh before that was around 6 !
if that is true ,then the mistake is with the jumps of 350 mcg/week !! it's too big jumps! you could have a heart attack !
I am not a doctor,but with tsh of 6, you should take as an initial dose 100 mcg/WEEK and then get checked every 6 weeks !!
what is the meaning of  stopping the synthroid ? why not just adjust your very high dose according to lab tests !??
I'd definitely get a new doctor!!! Where do you live? I have a great one in North Texas!
I just went off of synthroid because I wanted to find a different way and am trying to figure out how long until it's all the way out of my system. I've been using supplements with success so far and a doctor who supports me. It's only been 9 days but I'm hopeful! I would live to be totally free of drugs!!
With the half-life of T4 being approx. one week, about 98 % of the med should be out of your body in 6 weeks.  What supplements are you taking that are supposed to replace the T4 med?

I'm not quite sure about the aversion to Synthroid.  When you consider the definition of a drug as being,  "any substance that, when absorbed into the body of a living organism, alters normal bodily function",  I'm not sure that T4 meds really fit that definition.  If your  body needs thyroid hormone, the T4 med is filling that need.  It is not altering normal bodily function.  It is actually preventing bodily functions from being altered due to insufficient T4 and T3 levels.  

How does taking supplements differ from that, unless those supplements somehow cause your body's thyroid glands to ramp up and produce the additional  T4 and T3 hormones needed to function normally?

So many ask why didn't my doctor tell me that. Several reasons but one of the main one's is time. Doctors claim their reimbursements have been cut so their seeing more patients. Voila the web. Do your own research, write it down and ask the doctor. I guess they mean well but they are still practicing medicine although they don't use that term anymore. And when possible look for an integrated medicine Doctor. They try to use what's best from pharmaceuticals and alternative meds. It's a battle but thank God for Google. Research, it's not all correct but use common sense and feel your way through. You will suprise yourself. May even be your own best doctor.
Is there a medication other than synthroid to treat low T4?  I have been taking Synthroid for about 5 years and don't feel good on it.  When I was diagnosed 5 years ago with Hypothyroid I didn't think much about it.  I started taking the meds, I began with Levothyroxine then moved and my new doc put me on Synthroid.  I found out about a month ago I now have Hashimotos, according to my last blood work.  Now I am really concerned.  I have started reading everything I can get my hands on and really want to see if there are options to the Synthroid.  My doc put me on compounded T3 when she got the last blood results as my T3 was extremely low.  Since I have been taking the T3 I have felt much better, no brain fog and lots more energy.  But I do have this underlying lightheadedness and sometimes way to much anxiety.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  
Do you have recent labs to post?  If so, please do along with the reference ranges from your own lab report.  Seeing those, we'll be better able to assess your status.

How much T4 and T3 do you take?
You might be interested in this symptom profiler:
http://www.synthroid.com/Hypothyroidism/SymptomProfiler.aspx
t3 makes you hyper so many people divide the dose. once at lunch and once upon waking....so you don't feel so hyper...but never near bedtime..sounds like you may be taking too much at once....ask dr to divide dosage
does your daughter like nature thyroid better than synthroid? was it hard to adjust to? any side effect symptoms in the beginning or now?
tirosint is gel cap T4
The doctor I saw recently said that those of us with Hashimoto's should be taking a naturally derived thyroid hormone, not synthetic.
I have stopped Synthroid after being on it for 25 years. It has never done me any favors. I still have all the symptoms despite having been on doses up to 225 mcg.
He explained that with auto-immune disorders like Hashimoto's, the synthetic hormone can actually increase the auto-immune response causing your cells to reject the T4, so you have tons of it in your bloodstream but not getting into your cells to work.
I also have adrenal fatigue, extremely low cortisol and progesterone, so I have started taking a natural adrenal support as well as glutathione for the liver because that is where conversion occurs.
I am of the mindset that I have felt like crap for 25 years, I'm willing to forego the chemicals and try the natural side. I couldn't feel much worse. Good luck to you.
Your story is very familiar to many of us.  I also took up to 225 mcg of T4 for well over 25 years, and still had lingering hypo symptoms, which I later found was due to inadequate conversion of the T4 to T3.  Only after accidentally finding this Forum about 6 years ago did I learn about the importance of Free T3.  When I got mine tested and confirmed as low in the range, I got my doctor to switch me to Armour Thyroid.  After some tweaking of dosages I felt much, much better.  

Within the last two years I ran into a problem with excess conversion of T4 to Reverse T3, so I had to reduce my Armour dosage, in order to reduce the amount of T4 I was taking daily.  I made up for it by adding in T3 med.  Now again after some tweaking I feel great.  To me, it is not so much a matter of natural versus synthetic, as it is getting your Free T3 level high enough and making sure that Reverse T3 doesn't become a problem.  

Plus I have learned that it is very important for Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin to be at adequate levels in order to avoid related symptoms,  and they also have an effect on how thyroid hormone is metabolized.