Thyroid Disorders Community
How long does it take for armour to work?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Just diagnosed with hashimotos. Been on armour for about 1month, 15mg morning and 15mg afternoon. The first couple of days I really could feel a difference but now I am feeling tired and having the brain fog again. How long does it take for armour to really help all the symptoms?
There is no definitive answer to that question.  It depends on how long and how severely you were hypothyroid, before starting on meds.  It also depends on what your Free T3 and Free T4 levels were before starting meds.  Then it depends on how quickly you are able  to successfully increase the dosage, without causing a reaction if you increase too much, too quickly.  

As you proceed with this you should start to notice some improvement in your symptoms.  Many of our members, myself included, report that symptom relief for them required that Free T3 was adjusted into the upper third of its range and Free T4 adjusted to around the middle of its range.  Even when you do get to your optimum dosage and levels, full symptom relief tends to lag somewhat behind changes in blood levels of Free T3 and Free T4.

Just keep in mind that slow and sure is better than fast, with an unwanted reaction to the dosage.  

what are your labs?  thats a very small dose even to start at.  Id like to pass a tip on to you that i learned in conjunction to Gimels last sentence, slow...  slow....

I found that when i was on too low of a dose, it actually made things worse for me.  It was almost teasing the body, was not enough to really get into the cells.  Plus you are spittling it.   Try moving up from that after two weeks if you can to at least half grain morning 1/4 in afternoon.  OR get to 1 grain.   I felt much better when i got to 2.5 grains and was not multi dosing. That works for some, but for me my body seemed to enjoy more at once.  Like a big bowl of ice cream at once as opposed to a small scoop twice a day.   Maybe the liver is able to store more or will hold more if you give it a healthy dose.    But .15 and .15  is tiny.
  Thank you so much for responding to me.  For about 2 years I went dr to dr telling them that I was exhausted every day for no reason, had gained weight, kept getting awful sinus infections and a ton of other symptoms.  All my labs kept coming back in normal range then finally an anti aging/hormonal balancing dr found the hashimotos!  About 5 months before I started the amour I begged my obgyn to put me on a low dose of synthroid to see if it would help my symptoms even though my labs were normal.  I believe the synthroid made some of the symptoms worse.  I seriously believe the armour did make me feel better but now back to feeling blah and so wish the weight would drop off!  I am going to call the dr today about upping armor dosage but I have a feeling she won't cause she is a bit of a drill sargent.  Does anyone know of a good endo in Atlanta who is familiar with Hashimotos?
You don't have to have an Endo.  Many of them specialize in diabetes, not thyroid.   Also, many have the "Immaculate TSH Belief' by which they only want to use TSH to diagnose and treat a hypo patient.  That doesn't work.  Also, many use "Reference Range Endocrinology", by which they will tell you that a thyroid test that falls anywhere within the reference range is adequate for you.  That also doesn't work.  The ranges are far too broad.  

I do know of a good thyroid doctor just north of Atlanta, in Cumming.  Would that be of interest to you?
Yes please give me the name!!! Do you go to that dr?
One website information on stop the thyroid madness states that if taking natrual dissected thryoid, that dosage adjustment should increase after a couple of weeks.  After that it goes into some sort of feedback loop.  I can't recall the details or it didn't describe what that feedback loop was. But I got the idea that the body adjusts to the thryoid and then sort of gives a push back opposite reaction or as if the medicine has less effect.  And by increasing the dose every couple of weeks prevents that.

just telling you what I read.

Some folks also report initially feeling worse when starting medication. So many want to stop taking the med or blame the med when it is just the body needing time to adjust to actually having hormone.  In some cases the adrenals have started to try to make up for the lack of thyroid. And then when thyroid is introduced they don't stop doing their work and people feel badly until the adrenals slow production etc.

The bottom line is that not only slow but STEADY frequency of testing and adjusting may be the best bet.  Making a change and then sitting for many weeks or months may not be good as adjusting every few weeks on a regular basis until you feel well is the best solution.
Thanks! Ok so dr finally called back and said to now take 30mg in am and 15 in afternoon. I wish I could find dr that knew how crappy & tired you feel with hashimotos!
Can you please tell me the dr. that you recommend in Cumming,GA.
Thank you!