Thyroid Disorders Community
How long for Cytomel to be out of your system?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

If I stop taking Cytomel a week before my labs, will it show up or be totally out of my system? I tried it with another doc and it didn't work (made me feel worse), so I'm going back to my old doc, who doesn't know I tried Cytomel. I was only on 100mcg synthroid with him. I don't want the Cytomel to skew the labs.
Your question is confusing. The T3 medicine is short lived in the system. Usually it is a 4 hour release. I believe the 4 hr lag is more energy related or symptom triggers.

So in prospective, the answer to the question could be yes. It is out of the system within a week.

Hormone elevations and decrease is not that easy through. If you are on a T4 medication with the T3. The body may be adjusted to taking the T3 depending on the length you were on it.

So abruptly stopping it for labs may alter labs to be false positives.

What did you try with the other doctor? Doing the lab? and what made you feel worse?

I am sorry - I don't understand what you are meaning here.

If you feel more comfortable with the other doctor and you had better results. I am sure if you come out honest about everything, it will be fine. Tell him what you have been though - he/she will understand and be able to treat you right.
I want the labs to only show my levels from the synthroid I've been taking. I don't want my doc to know I saw someone else or tried the cytomel. He would not be understanding. The cytomel made me feel worse. It gave me more energy, but way too much inflammation. I could barely breathe out of my nose because my sinuses were so inflammed and small pills were getting stuck in my throat. I also was having bad acid reflux.

I can already tell the physical effects of the cytomel are wearing off because I'm back to feeling tired again. I was only on the cytomel for 4 weeks. I started at 25mcg, then went to 12.5mcg, then 6.25mcg. I kept going lower because I was having hyper symptoms.
It sounds like you are trying to hide the fact you tried the Cytomel from this doctor. I don't think that is good.

Why were you in search of something else? It was because you still didn't feel well right?

Look - you gave something a try to see if you could feel better. No one can hold that against you.

The labs you should run are all the Free ( FT3 and FT4) and TSH. You shouldn't feel bad with the right kind and amount of meds when you have thyroid issues.

It takes time and alot of patience to find the right one to make everything work right again. You shouldn't have to trade off feeling tired and then trying something and feeling hyper. There is an in between that will work to make you 100% again
The reason I'm trying to hide the fact that I took Cytomel from this doc is because after I got fed up with the incompetent office staff and my last appt with this doc, I made an appt with the new one. The new one put me on Cytomel, which didn't work out. I realized my old doc wasn't that bad since the new one was clueless as to how to treat thyroid patients, so I'm going back to him. It's only been 3 months since I saw my last doc. He also told me he didn't think I needed Cytomel, which he was right, so I don't want him to know. I also don't want it skewing the labs for what he prescribed me. How will he know how to treat me if my labs are skewed? If he sees my labs went up (due to the Cytomel), he may not increase my Synthroid, which is what I really need, but the new doc refused to do because of his old school thinking. I want my labs to only show where my levels are from the Synthroid he prescribed at my last appt with him. It was a mistake to see the new doc and go on the Cytomel.
Why not just come clean and admit that you took the cytomel and that the doc was right -- that's not what you needed?  I know it's not easy to admit, but being honest with your doctor is very important.  

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I just don't want to get into it with my doc since it's only been 3 months since I saw him. I know my synthroid needed to be increased all along, so I just want this to be easy so I can hurry up and feel better. I can tell from how I feel that it's out of my system. I just hope the cytomel doesn't show up in the labs.
Hi.  I think if you feel uncomfortable telling the endo the truth (that you saw a different doc and was put on cytomel, which didn't workout for you) then you need to find an endo you can be honest with.  A doctor should always know what you have been on and tried for your current ailment.  Who is to know wether this endo may not or may want to try the same treatment as the last.  I'm a NP and feel that if you're not comfortable telling your doc all the info, you're not with the right doc.  My 2 cents!  Best of luck.  I'm also a newly dx hypothyroid/Hasimotos and figuring out this whole balancing act.