Thyroid Disorders Community
How long to get your lab results?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

How long to get your lab results?

I am scheduled to see my Rhuematologist on Monday.
I am hoping she will order thyroid labs.
My question is how long did it take to get your lab results back and were any of you able to get thyroid replacement meds before the labs came back?
sometimes only a couple days. and they could call in a prescription for you. but sometimes they make you wait  till next appointment.  i'd request that a copy of the labs be sent to your  home. then you'll at least know that  they have the results. my last tests took 8 days for some reason. they probable make you wait till they have the labs  first. i think.
The one thing I know won't happen is my rhuemy making me wait until the next appointment.
I obviously have hashimotos and am starting to be really uncomfortably cold all the time-but, as long as I am not going to have to wait weeks I can live with a few days.
When doing my labs at the hospital I got my results the very next day. I will pick them up myself and bring them to the doctor.

Now I go to a laboratory and take up to three days. I have an app. on my phone and I get the results there, so I am sure I will get them when I see my doctor in case the have not sent them ( it has happened many times before.)

I never got my meds without my doctor seeing my results first.
You won't get medication without your doctor seeing your lab results.  

What makes you think you "obviously have Hashimoto's"?  That can only be confirmed with antibody testing.  

Most likely, your rheumy will have the results when you see him/her on Monday, and will prescribe medication if that's warranted.  

Most labs will only release results to the doctor who ordered them, unless the doctor writes on the order to "cc patient"....... this is what my endo does, while my pcp only gives me a copy of my labs, when I go for my appt.
if you sign a release at the lab  they will send it to you.  it's your lab you pay for it .
What lab do you use?  I've asked and my lab will only release results to the patient if the doctor writes it on the lab order, which my endo does, but my pcp won't, so I never get those results until my appt - I guess that's to make sure I show up for the appt???
My doctor has a lab right in her office-she will get them way before I do.  I just didn't want this to be a ten day wait or something horrible like that.
As long as it is only a day or two I am fine with waiting.
Yeah, I pay for it (big bucks, too), but they still won't give them to me unless the Dr writes it on the order.  Bum deal.............
quest/ they give you a form to fill out, just ask when they draw blood, . u and doctor  get copy.   , i think as long as they send the doc a copy you can get a copy.  remember you pay for them , they are your records,  your insurance,  if not the doctors office will usually give you a copy, but they want to talk to you first, probable liability to the doc ,   i like to see them before the doctors appointment,
I, too, like to get mine before the appt, then I know what's going on.  I get blood work  at Quest too, and I've asked, but they say I'll have to get them from the doctor.  I'll have to ask again. My endo writes on the order to "cc pt", but pcp refuses, though I do get a copy when I go for my appt.
I ASK AT THE TIME THEYU DRAW BLOOD. YOU JUST FILL OUT A FORM.  WHO KNOWS .THEY EVEN HAVE A NEW THING WERE THEY WILL SEND IT (RESULTS) to your cell phone or i pad. believe it or not!!!  i'd ask again. why not?. look at their web site also you can sign up to view your results online also.. not sure about the doctor.  I'm looking at my quest form now. i don't see anything that won't allow you.   were  ALL JUST LAB REOPORTS TO THEM ANYWAY. SO WHY WOULD THEY CARE . USLESS THEY SOMEHOW AFRAID OF BEING SUED.  LOL Kevin