Thyroid Disorders Community
How long was your hospital stay?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

How long was your hospital stay?

For those of you who have had thyroid surgery, how long were in the hospital? I am having my entire thyroid removed on Tuesday.
Overnight on both surgeries - same thing for the other 5 in my family who had thyroid surgeries.   Best of everything with your surgery!!!
I had a TT and stayed in for one night, good luck and let us know how you get on :) x x x
I ended up staying about 3 days, but that was because by the time i was diagnosed i had so many complications. I had it done almost 15 yrs ago, and no problems from the thyroid end. It will just be the adjusting what dosage you will need to be on, that is what will take awhile. I think it took me about a year to figure out the correct dosage with me. My scar healed so nice, you would never knew i had the operation.

Good luck........rest afterwards.....
2 nights .. got an extra one due to severe migraine and vertigo ... calcium and incision was fine.  

C~
I had a total as well, and had an overnight stay.  I hope you're feeling a little less anxious after getting some of your questions answered, but I can relate to how you're feeling because I was nervous too!!
We'll be thinking of you, and please post when you feel like it and let us know how you did.
Lori
I had a partial thyroidectomy, but it was done as an outpatient and I was home the same day!
Twenty years ago I had a partial and was in the hospital 4 days.  Had a total on 7/29 and was only in overnight.  As all things in medicine, we have come a long way.  Everyone is nervious but this surgery has become so much easier.  5 weeks later and you can not see where my scar is.  Would recommend that you get a neck pillow for first few nights at home and a bag of frozen peas for the incision.  Good luck and will be thinking of you on Tuesday.
Opps, forgot to tell you that you may have a drain (no one told me) but that too, is normal.  Just hate surprises.
The doctor took it out just before I left the hospital.
I was discharged less than 24 hours after surgery after having the drain removed (painless brief procedure).  Felt great.  The only problem I had was the Dr didn't check my labs for a month and I was soooooo hypothyroid that it took months to get back to normal energy.
Well I went a registered for surgery this morning and did my pre-op lab work. They also had me do a chest xray, anyone know what that was about?
It made me feel better to see all the people in there registering. I know it sounds kinda bad, but it makes me feel better to know that surgery is so common these days and millions of people have it done with no problems.