Thyroid Disorders Community
How long will it take to feel new medication?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I started my new medication 16 days ago. How long will it take to realize full benefit? If I haven't experienced any side effects yet, does that mean I won't?
What new medication did you start?  
Hi Barb you have helped me before.... I went from 25 mcg Synthroid, to 20 mcg T3/ 60 mcg T4 compound medication.
Yes, I know I've helped you before, but unfortunately, my memory can't keep track of everyone's stats and meds... lol

It takes 4-6 weeks for a new T4 med/dosage to take full effect.  That's quite a hefty starting dose on the T3, which is faster acting than T4; could send you to hyper hell pretty quickly.  Make sure you're aware of all signs of over medication and be sure to notify your doctor at the first sign.  

Both T3 and T4 meds can "build", so the fact that you haven't had a reaction yet, doesn't mean you won't.  

You're getting all of the T3 in one dose?  If so... wow -- most of us find that splitting T3 med into multiple doses works best because we don't get that initial "jolt", then crash later in the day.  I'm only on 10 mcg and take 1/2 in the morning, the other 1/2 around noon to keep my level more steady throughout the day..
Haven't experienced any  symptoms yet... All I really know to look for is the rapid heartbeat. Yes it is in one dose. It is a capsule so no way to split it. We are retesting in 2 weeks to see how it is working. So far I feel the same, but my husband has commented that I seem way less on edge and less emotional...I tried to cut and paste my previous labs but am working from my iPad and it won't let me.
Other symptoms of over  medication include rapid weight loss (I should be so lucky...lol), heart palpitations, mood swings, etc.

If you start having any of those, you might want to see if you can have the capsules made so that you can take the med in 2 doses, which will spread out the intake of the T3, over the course, of the day.

It's okay that you couldn't copy/paste your previous labs. I can go find them if I need to.  Post your new ones when you get them and we can go from there.
Thank you Barb as always. You truly are the lifeline of this page. Bless you for the advise and counseling you give so many.
I will post my labs in 2-3 weeks when I get them.