Thyroid Disorders Community
How many here have Graves Disease?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

How many here have Graves Disease?

How many of us here have Graves Disease as I notice that Hashi's is more common.
Correct me if I am wrong.
59%
 (13) 
Graves Disease
36%
 (8) 
Hashi's Disease
4%
 (1) 
None
22 Members voted
I was diagnosed with Graves Disease and Hyperthyroidism.
I had RAI June 08 and TT (keyhole ) Sept 08.
I was diagnosed hyperthyroid 05/08.  All antibody tests were negative.
I'm now hypo after RAI for a big toxic adenoma.
The endo said, "It's a lump.  People get lumps.  No one knows why."
Had graves/hyper/goiter back in 1994, had RAI, then TT.

Levels in range, last was .67
I was diagnosed with Graves' recently, just did RAI on Aug. 28, 2009.  I haven't really kept on on T levels or anything and have no idea what "TT" means...but I wish the best for all of you.

Mellowscout...keeping the faith.
I was diagnosed as having an overactive thyroid in Febrauary of this year.  If June, it was confrimed that I have Graves.  Still hoping for remission.  Waiting to do RAI.  Currently taking anti-thyroid meds.

Wishing the best to everybody.  Jamie
Guess I'm the lone wolf here with Hashi's -- and because of  what I've read that you guys go through - I think I'll take it over hyper/Graves any day........ wishing you all the best of luck.......
TT is thyroidectomy...sorry  I shortened it lol.
I often forget that there are a lot here who dont know the acronyns.
Make sure you drink plenty of water and keep an eye on yr symtpms...I was hypo 5 weeks after RAI and only had a small dose.
All the best and any questions on RAI...message me :)
TT for me on Nov 7th!  I have both antibodies, so really count as both- but been hyper/suffering graves for 2 1/2 years.
Once you have the TT and get on a T4 med and Calcium...you will feel so much better.
Hyper is the pits!
If only people knew more about the thyroid and the effects it has not just on yr body but your whole life.
You will be fine with the Surgery and there are so many here who will help you through it day by day with questions you will have.
Just dont let the Endo let you go Hypo........make sure you have a prescription for the T4 before you leave the hospital.
Usually its started straight away but some Endos fail to do that and wait until the 6 week appointment.
Log your symptoms too.....good to look back on.

We are all here to support you through this :)
(((hugs)))
"Once Grave's..... always Grave's...."

count me in :(
It's funny coz I am  a Hashi's, but I am sure I was Grave's all those years ago. But I guess being a Gemini, I am allowed to have both! LOL!
I`m Graves too diagnosed this year but like a lot of people think I`ve had it for
years. :-(
Hypo here. I could not even emagine having graves. Ive gone hyper before on my meds and I felt terrible.
Imagine going hyper a 1000 times worse than medication induced and you will know what it feels like to have Graves and Hyperthyroidism.
I used to wonder if I was going to wake up in the morning.
That all changed when I ablated the thyroid and then got rid of it.
Now I go to bed wondering what I will do or where I will go the next day.
Big difference!
Diagnosed with Graves in January of 2008 and had TT in June of 08. Now eleven pounds heavier, but honestly, I was so sick with being hyper I didnt think I would make it. I was so anxious and had panic attacks, went down to 107 from 120 in one week. My heart beat fast all the time, constant 'runs'...high blood pressure. My first course of treatment was being told I was depressed and put on Cymbalta for a couple of months. I got worse by the minute. I literaly almost crawled back to my doctor before he took a blood sample. I opted for the TT because it was that or RAI. My endo didnt think I would ever go into remission after going off meds. I just picked the TT because I just wanted it over with quickly. I feel pretty good now and my last tsh was .81. My ft3 was in the low range earlier this year and might add cytomel to my levothyroxine next month. Graves was horrid and I feel more like myself these days......only a little bigger!!!
I can handle Hypo anyday...compared to Graves and Hyper.
I have had Graves for 4 yrs. I developed symptoms after I was robbed at gun point! There is no history of thyroid disease n my family. I wil be 60yrs old in March. I take the following meds Klonopin, Propanolol, Methamazole,
Adderall (adderrall), and Citalapram. My last two visits were the first ones that ever showed I was in range, but the graves was still active! I go back to the Endo in March. I have had my ups and downs with this disease, but since I was diagnosed there have been many changes, some good, some not so good.It's not an easy disease by anymeans, but where I am now compared to where I stated is as different as night and day! I remember being 103lbs,
my BP was 190/88 and is now 118/79 nice numbers!  I try just like you to enjoy the good days, and lay low on the bad! I remember when I couldn't climb my steps without holding on to the railing or carrying up two gallons of water, and having to place them on each step as I made the climb, that's how weak I was! I still sleep to much and when I take my meds I have to move before I find the couch. God forbid I sit down on it because if I do that's where I'll be for the rest of the day. I think that's what bothers me the most beside the weight gain of 10lbs. I was always so active, and to lose that motivation I always had is very discouraging! I know I'll get back to being more like me, but I've never been the most patient person when it comes to being laxed. I still walk, and strength train, but for the first time I bulked up instead of just getting great tone. I'm not happy with that. I had to get rid of some really great shirts and sweaters because I looked like I was poured into them because of my biceps and chest getting so big! I am only 5'2" and now I'm 128 lbs which I have never been in my entire life! I get comments as to how healthy I look, little do people know how sick I have been! My docs told me that in another 3 mos hadn't I been diagnosed I might not be here today as I was surely headed to a thyroid storm! Between this and he robbery I feel very blessed to be where I am, even though things aren't back to normal! My Endo said he believes my thyroid illness came on because of the stress. Dr.s are now saying that although Graves is recognized as auto immune it is also caused by trauma. this isn't definitive it's 50/50. I'm hoping that I will go into remission and be able to get back the life I feel was stolen from me. I'm sure that most of you if not all of you feel the same way! I wish all of us the best for the future. I am hoping going back to work is an option for me, but I also have concerns because of the robbery which I am also receiving treatment and counseling for! It would be great if the thyroid issue wasn't interfering.