Thyroid Disorders Community
How much synthroid to take

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

How much synthroid to take

I am 29 years old and I have a TSH level of 22.4(0.358-3.740). How much Synthroid should i take for this level to be normal?

It's impossible to answer your question.  Initial dose of Synthroid is usually based on weight.  That dose is taken for 5-6 weeks, then bloodwork is repeated.  Adjustments to the dosage are then made based on the new labs.  Sometimes several dosage adjustments are necessary to reach the appropriate dose.  

In addition to TSH, be sure your doctor is monitoring your free T3 and free T4.  These are the actual thyroid hormones and much more important than TSH (a pituitary hormone) in determining thyroid status.  Dosage adjustments should only be made after reviewing FT3 and FT4.