Thyroid Disorders Community
How to find balance with no thyroid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

How to find balance with no thyroid

I'm coming up on my year for getting my thyroid removed and RAI and I'm still looking for balance and the "old" happy me. Everyday seems to be a struggle with fatigue, mood swings, irrability, weight gain, loss of sex drive, dry hair and brain fog. My first Endo told me it was in my head and sent me to my family doctor for anti-depressants. I tried 3 different ones and they never helped. When the migraines started the Endo said to go to a Neurologist. Tired of not getting support I switched my endo. My second endo changed my vitamins and said that my dosage was wrong based on my lab results and the weight gain. She increased my medicine and requested other test. These test came back that I have hyperglycemia, PCO and an cyst on my left ovary. Since learning that some of my sickness was hypergylcemia I immediately switched my eating to the south beach diet. I eat like a bird lots of veggies and still gaining weight. My blood levels are stable but I'm very frustrated with the weight gain, head aches, mood swings, etc. I went to my second endo for my second appt. and the blood test showed I could increase my synthroid medicine. I asked if I could go on T4/T3 and she said she doesn't do that in her practice. I have done lots of research and it seems t3/t4 works for getting of the symptons that I have and the weight gain. Anyone out there like t3/t4?
Yes, I like T3/T4 because it was necessary to get my levels up to the point that symptoms were relieved.  If your doctor doesn't "do that" in her practice, then you will have to change her mind, or else find a good thyroid doctor that will test and adjust your FT3 and FT4 levels with whatever type of meds are required to relieve symptoms.  Symptom relief should be all important.  Many of our members report that symptom relief required that FT3 was adjusted into the upper part of its range and FT4 adjusted to at least midpoint of its range.  

If you have been tested for the actual, biologically active thyroid hormones free T3 and free T4 (not total T3 and total T4), then please post results and reference ranges.  If you have not been tested for FT3 and FT4, then I suggest that you request those tests be done and then get a copy and post here so that members can help interpret.  If the doctor resists testing for the Frees, then you will need to insist.  After all, you are the customer.

Many doctors do resist testing for FT3 because they believe that if they know FT4, then they can estimate FT3,  This is not the case when a patient does not convert T4 to T3 very well.  FT3 levels are also frequently low, relative to FT4, when a patient is on thyroid meds.  You really need to know your FT3 level because FT3 is four times as active as FT4, plus FT3 correlates best with hypo symptoms, such as yours.  

By the way, you did not mention it, but what amount of thyroid medication are you taking currently?