Thyroid Disorders Community
How to lower methimazole dose

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

How to lower methimazole dose

I was diagnosed with graves almost three years ago. Meds worked well, was only on beta-blocker about 2 weeks. At the 2 year mark suddenly my TSH went from .005  to 2.174  and free T4 went down to 0.8  . Both primary care Dr. and the Endo said to continue with the same dose of methimazole which was 15mg. I was told it might have been a lab mistake . well new labs came back 2 weeks ago and no one called me. Found out yesterday they are now   TSH 7.42  and the free T 4is still at 0.8   . I have called both Dr's and one wanted me to start synthroid right away and the endo has not gotten back to me yet.Has anyone out there ever have this problem? Have they lost it or is it me!  HELP
They want you to start taking Synthroid and still continue taking Methimezole too, or just the Synthroid? Have they done a Free T3 at all?
I would wait on the Synthroid until they can explain a few things, I would not be too concerned about the TSH right now, the T4 is the same, but you need to know where the Free T3 is at, since that is the actual hormone that your body functions on, Either that or you have flipped from Hyper to Hypo, then they would take you off the Methimazole and prescribe Synthroid. Get on thier butts and get some answers out of them, don't let them intimidate you, they are supposed to work for you.    Best Wishes FTB4
they want to add synthyroid along with 15mg of methimazole. I know they do that if the dose of mmi is low.I knew things weren't right. I tried calling them yesterday, and no one has called me back. Primary care DR. wants more blood work in 6 to 8 weeks. I asked about my T3 and the nurse said it looked to be in normal range. I think they are upset with me, because I told them both that rai was off the table ,
There's a process called "block and replace" that's used for Graves patients.  What it consists of is anti-thyroid meds to block production of thyroid hormones, then they replace them with a controlled dosage of hormones to keep levels steady.

Ask your doctors if this is what they are trying to do.......

Side note:  try to get one doctor handling your thyroid issues or they will keep you going in circles........ I, once had an endo raising dosage, based on symptoms, but my pcp was trying to control it based on TSH.......the pcp nearly sent me to my death, because my TSH is "ultra low", but hormone levels are barely mid range.......

Totally agree that you need the Free T3 test, which is usually done in those with Graves.... can't believe they haven't done it....... hmmmm - might need to fire them both and find one who will do proper testing.