Thyroid Disorders Community
How to take Cytomol?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

How to take Cytomol?

Hello all, my wife just picked up my cytomel for me to take on Friday but she was not given any instructions from the pharmacy and would like to know from those that took it is it the same as taking synthroid?  I read the paper with it and said something about waiting 4 hours if you take vitamins either way?  Is there anything else?  Do I have to take it then wait an hour prior to eating?  This is on my synthroid pill container but not the other one.  I am preparing my mind for the day(Friday) of reckening!  YAHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I am thinking of going to the clinic and drawing my TSH just to see what it was the day I started my meds.  I think I am well above 130 by now.

Cheers,
Scott
Take your synthroid first in the am on an empty stomach.Wait at least 1 hour befroe you  take your cytomel.I take my cytomel on empty tummy then i eat.I also take it 3 times a day 6 hours apart.
Take your vitamins and stuff before bedtime.
Before I went to hypohell I was feeling pretty good on this routine..Good luck
Love Venora
Take Cytomel  30
Hello, I am taking cytomel for the first couple of weeks post RAI, then changing over to synthroid.  I am not taking both as my endo told me.  FRIDAY!!!!!!!!

I was just wondering about the cytomel since Utahmamma told us about calcium and synthroid in a few posts before.  My instructions on the bottle tell me to take it 2 times a day.    I was not at the pharmacy since radioactive and they did not give my wife any instructions.  Thats all.  I plan to call my endo tomorrow to ask them how long again as I really forgot.  Must be that "brain fog".  That's my story and I am sticking to it!  hahahaha

Cheers,
Scott
Yes, you take the synthroid with the first dose of the Cytomel.  You only need to take synthroid once a day.  Yes, take them on an empty stomach, 30 to 60  min. before you eat.  My pills come with written instruction, one in which states to wait the 30/60 min. before eating.  However, I do have my coffee though, that is, I don't wait! I have to have my coffee! :)

Just my personal opinion and/or experience. Always discuss your health issue with your doctor , always adhere to your doctors advise and, you always have the right to a second opinion. Nothing is a 100% or a 100%, 100% of the time. However, we are not all alike!

GL,
1990 - Hyper/Graves'
1997 - Dia/RAI
1997 - MVP - Mitral Valve Prolapse
1999 - TED - slight Thyroid Eye Disease
1999 - Visible Nodule (suspect Marine-Lenhart-Syndrom/hyperfunctioning nodule)
2000 - SAS  - Short Attention Span (short, spaced paragraphs, sweet and to the point helps)
2002 -  IED  - Intermittent Explosive Disorder (Graves' Range)
2007 -  A/ITP (suspect)

So can you take the synthroid and cytomel at the same time?  I plan to call him tomorrow so I can be sure I am doing the right thing because I am a little confused about them both.  If so, I take both then wait an hour then can eat as normal right?  Was this perscribed to you all when you received them? If so, how long were you on cytomel?

I do know that I am only going to be on cytomel for only a short period of time I do remember that much.

That does make sense to spilt the T-3 to equal out the dose through out the day!  I do have some questions so I will ask again now!

Thank you for all your help!
Scott

That's odd because cytomel is T3 only.  How are going to get the T4?  And if you have  brain fog you are going to need the T4, hahanah.

Maybe you should split those two pills and take take four times a day, four hours apart.  A lot of doctors don't know about splitting the pills or even the effects of T3.

I know that people have calcium problems from or due to thyroid surgery, however I didn't read Utahmamma post on synthroid and calcium.  I do know that Utahmamma knows her business.

If you take calcium supplement they are to be taken at least four hours if not longer, after taking thyroid meds. for calcium interferes with thyroid med. absorption.

Although, when in doubt, ask ;)

GL,
1990 - Hyper/Graves'
1997 - Dia/RAI
1997 - MVP - Mitral Valve Prolapse
1999 - TED - slight Thyroid Eye Disease
2007 -  A/ITP (suspect)
Hey Mom....The doc just prescribed cytomel...how do I take it with my Levo?
He said take it at the same time in the morning....I would like to know what you think.

After two weeks I go from 5mcg. once a day to twice a day if I tolerate it?