Thyroid Disorders Community
How will the doctor remove my thyroglossal duct cyst?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I was just wondering, how my surgeon would remove my cyst without removing my thyroid? Is it worth it to remove the cyst or should i just leave it? Thanks for answering.
I, too, have a thyroglossal duct cyst.  I just had a total thyroidectomy due to cancerous cells, but the doctor did not remove the cyst.  I only found out about it five years ago, due to a swelling out of nowhere.  Since that time, I have not had any swelling, so the doctor said to leave it alone unless if flares up again.  I'm sure if there is nothing wrong with your thyroid, your doctor will not remove it.  Where is your cyst located.  Mine was directly under the tongue which manifested right in the middle of my neck under the chin.