Thyroid Disorders Community
Hurthle cells

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hurthle cells

On review of my biopsy report I found it says I have Hurthle cells.  The "official" finding was Benign Collolid Nodule.  My several hour Google session of Hurthle Cells is now making me nervous.  I'm so frustrated.  If Hurthle Cells are generally not a good thing why was I not told this??? My results read:

Clusters of follicular cells and Hurthle cells arranged in macrofollicles

The end of the report (which was mailed to me and not followed by any phone calls) says "It was nice to meet you".  No directions for follow up at all.  Any thoughts on these results?  I am seeing an ENT Surgeon in 2 weeks for a second opinion but I'd like some input as to if I should be concerned about this or not.  I really appreciate all your expertise and advice :)
Hi, Your case is very similar to my own. The nodule means it is not cancerous. Hurthle's Cells are just a description of the type they are. Yes, it is almost impossible to find anything on the net without finding that dreaded word cancer about Hurthle's Cells. It really does depend on the endo. Mine took my thyroid out and the pathology after showed it was a type of pre-cancer, but still contained. Benign means NOT cancerous. So that is why you have been 'shelved ' in a nice sense!
Talk to your new endo, ask a million questions, you are allowed!
Trust me, I have learned a ton from my condition and amazingly enough, in autopsies on people for totally unrelated things, Hurthle's Cells have been found in thyroids and caused no problems. It's ONLY when they are of a certain kind of cellular invasion do the endo's start panicking. Yours is not in that category. Often they will just wait and see what happens. Hurthle's Cells tumours are notorious for growing at an alarming rate (Mine grew 2.4cms in 6 weeks)
In a nutshell, a benign colloid nodule is quite common. Means you are ok. Just talk to the ENT and get back to us!
It's not uncommon to find Hurthle cells in thyroid cyst fluid or with Hashi's.  

Some docs will have an automatic knee-jerk reaction of "OMG Hurthle cells!  It has to come out!".  Ummmm.... no.  They're not always a bad thing.  

Get a second opinion if you want to.  Benign colloid nodule is a goood thing.
You may also want to post on the Doctor Forum.  Just post your exact FNA results and see what he says.  He is usually right on.

That forum is very busy and he only accepts a few questions a day, so just keep trying to post your questions at various times during the day - both times I managed to post my question to him in the afternoon.  
After my final pathology after my tt- I had cancer on one side but on the other I had a follicular adenoma with hurthle cells but not evidence of carcinoma.  I always thought hurthle meant cancer too, but I was wrong.
I had Hurthle Cell Neoplasm and had a TT in March of 08 and it turned out to be benign!

Good luck!
I had a partial thyroidectomy in March 08 and my pathology said Follicular Adenoma with Hurthle Cell Changes consistent with Hashimoto.  It was benign and I have Hashimoto's.

So Hurthle Cells does not always mean cancer.
Thanks for all your answers I really appreciate it.  I probably wont believe it's benign unless they take it out and I see it myself!  I really need to stop Googling stuff it's making me crazy!