Thyroid Disorders Community
Hyperthyroid after thyroidectomy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hyperthyroid after thyroidectomy?

I had a thyroidectomy on July 18, 2008 - thyroid was the size of a grapefruit, caused by Graves Disease.  This surgery has really knocked me on my bottom - still not regulated completely, but definitely worth it!  Felt really good (almost normal) for maybe 1-2 months combined (not consistently, 1 or 2 wks here and there) and now I feel hyperthyroid again.  Is this possible?  I am on synthroid, 137 mcg because after 6 months of 125 mcg I was still hypothyroid.  After about 3 months of 137 mcg I am having hyper symptoms again.  They left a sliver of my thyroid, but still considered this a total thyroidectomy.  I was told by two separate docs, there was a less than 50% chance of it actually working as a regular thyroid - if at all.  Has anyone experienced this, having the little sliver work - slightly or at all?  Anyone go hyperthyroid after a thyroidectomy?  Having these symptoms again helps me realize why I had it removed in the first place; I can't believe how many symptoms I'd forgotten about - ugh, I would have been happy to keep it that way :)!!
You still have that 50% chance that YOU DO have function - that to me is very good odds. When removing the thyroid it is impossible to pull every bit of tissue out. It is a "spongey" gland - so total removal is next to impossible.

Regardless also of the surgery, you still have autoimmune Graves which is a hard rearing hormone disorder that causes an over functioning of thyroid hormone pumping inconsistantly and difficult to regulate when it will "rear up" and activate hormones again. Suppression of Graves is the only thing that can take place to stop this over stimulation of hormones.

To add to that your are being controlled under a TSH level with labs, so your meds are being based along that number, not actual stimulation of natural hormone that is still taking place - along with increases of meds.  It is a swing pattern of medication induced hormones and actual autoimmune attacks that can swing you back and forth from hyper to hypo symptoms.

Again remission/ suppression of Graves is the only thing that can happen to get you stable again. Until that is taken care of you will be up and down with these symptoms.
I did all I could to "suppress" the Graves before choosing surgery, I was maxed out on the beta blocker and anti thyroid meds - my numbers just wouldn't move.

I went to the doc on Monday and these were some of the symptoms I mentioned (they did draw my blood and am waiting on the results):

*heat intolerance w/overactive sweating
*increased heart rate - 95 bpm when resting that day, it has gone up higher before (I usually have a very slow heart rate)
*Insomnia
*Adrenaline Rush type feeling at weird times
*Fatigue and a hard time waking in the morning
*Insomnia
*Bursts of energy, but too fatigue to do anything with it
*Hand tremors and unsteady hands when I need them for fine motor skills
*Dizziness and lightheaded - sometimes seeing spots in vision
*Really light menstrual cycle almost as if it starts, then it stops suddenly (after a day) - they're not regular (before surgery it had been 4 months since I'd had a cycle, after surgery I finally had one and they were getting more regular)

I know there's more that's just what I can think of off the top of my head.  What other things can they do to suppress Graves Disease?  I thought removal of the thyroid would relieve most symptoms?  I don't have the other symptoms that are Graves related as far as the thick red itchy skin, bulging eyes etc.  The most bothersome symptom is the intolerance to heat with overactive sweating - I feel sick and dizzy when this happens.  That and the insomnia, mood swings, and libido garbage!!  Oh and forget about any silver lining of weight loss, when I go hyper thyroid I crave a lot of unhealthy carbs that I don't usually eat or want.  I'm insulin resistant and anytime I give in to the cravings (which are not your regular dieting craving either) I don't loose weight I gain or stay the same.  I was finally able to loose weight when I was feeling the most "normal" (about 20 lbs - it was awesome) but have now gained 11 lbs in one week!  For me the hyperthyroid fatigue is worse than the hypothyroid - you feel so tired but can't get enough sleep and your body feels so exhausted when you do nothing and then you get hit with insomnia.  Sorry for the vent, must be another mood swing ;), well that and there are times I need to just get it out because it's so frustrating when you have no control!
Hi Stella,

I had total thyroidectomy after I found out I had thyroid cancer. My Thyroid hormones were normal, though. After the surgery, the high levels of levothyroxine (137mcg a day)I had to take made me hyperthyroid -  I weigh 57 kg, so if you weigh the same maybe the hormone you're taking is making you sub-clinically hyperthyroid too.

Even though my T4 is now balanced, I don't think artificial hormones are as effective as the natural ones. That has made me seek other kinds of treatment, and recently I came across Dr. Mark Hyman's treatment for the thyroid. All he suggests is that we eat more natural stuff and avoid corn, gluten and dairies. You can download it on line. Hope it works for you!