Thyroid Disorders Community
Hyperthyroid and Armour thyroid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hyperthyroid and Armour thyroid

Hi, about a month ago i had an iodine uptake scan done and was shown that my hyperthyroid was caused by thyroiditis, my last bloodwork done showed my levels to be at normal, t3 t4 tsh. but the doc said my thyroid antibodies were still kinda high, he did say i had thyroiditis, not graves, but maybe hashimotos? well at my last visit he prescribed armour thyroid 60 mg a day, or 1 grain i believe is what that converts to, i have not started taking it yet.... he prescribed it because i told him how i have been having daytime fatigue, i can fall asleep fine at night but i often wake up at 4am or 5am for no reason, i have poor concentration and brain fog and its making college difficult to juggle with work and also been haveing feeling of deep depression, then i fell ok for a bit then back down i go. it's frustrating and i am hoping to have good results with Armour thyroid. my main question is, even though my blood work says i'm not hyperthyroid right now will taking Armour benefit me? has anyone had a similar experience? i just want some relief from the mood swings and brain fog issues, my hair was falling out bad but has slowed down a little.
Please post those "normal" T3, T4 and TSH test results, along with their reference ranges shown on the lab report so that members can assess the adequacy of your testing and treatment.
I actually do not have them on hand but my endocrinologist did say they were in normal ranges, I just wonder if it would be safe to take armour after the recent hyperthyroid now that my ranges say normal, i do feel a bit sluggish and i am to go back this friday for more blood work to see where i am, i decided to not take armour until i get the results. but just wondering if anyone out there has been in a similar situation and if they had good results taking armour. thank you for the feedback, i will post my ranges as soon as i have them.
The problem with just being in the "normal" ranges is that the ranges are far too broad to be adequate for many people.  Many of our members report that symptom relief or them required that Free T3 had to be adjusted into the upper part of its range and Free T4 adjusted to around the midpoint of its range.  

A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting Free T3 and Free T4 (not the same as Total T3 and Total T4), as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not just test results.  

When you go in you should request to be tested for Free T3 and Free T4, along with the TSH they always test.  If the doctor resists, don't accept excuses, just insist on FT3 and FT4.  

Did you really mean hyperthyroid?   Your symptoms point to being hypothyroid.  I take Armour for my hypothyroidism and I'm feeling best ever.  
Yes I did mean Hyperthyroid, but this was about 3 months ago when it was first found, my hair was fallimg out i was loosing weight, i am overweight anyway and have polycystic ovarian syndrome, but i had been trying to loose weight for years with no luck execept gaining weight, so I was pleased but yet confused and worried, my anxiety went thru the roof also at that point, i had the up-take scan done about a month ago and new blood work taken, at the following visit the endo told me that the scan looked as hough it was thyroiditis, not graves disease, but didn't say for sure if it was hashimotos, he said that my ranges were back to normal, he did do t3 t4 and tsh, but said the antibodies were still up. i definitely have been experiencing depression, which has always been an issue for me, and a bit of anxiety but nothing horrible, mental confusion poor concentration, brain fog. I haven't started gaining weight , im kinda steady right now but the hyperthyroid was pretty recent. i'm so confused and i'm sure i'm confusing the people readinf lol, i just want to feel better, I filled the prescription of armour thyroid, it is actually 60 mg 2 times a day, i have not started it yet.
I would not recommend starting with 60 mg twice  day.  You might have a reaction to that dosage.  Start with less.  Perhaps only half a grain (30 mg) twice a day and see how your body reacts to that.  
Thyroid point – press the fleshy bit on palm between  the base of thumb and wrist on both hands. If you feel pain when you press, then you have thyroid problem.To help with the thyroid,  press this point 50 times a day.

To help with concentration and brain fog, do the kapalbhati twice a day.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Kapalbhati pranayam -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.

Your feedback at some point will help others.
September 16 ,2011
Sorry hava.  Yoga may be good for some things, but when I read something like this about Kapalbhati pranayam, it loses all credibility with me.

Kapal Bhati Pranayam

Procedure : Push air forcefully out. Stomach will itself go in.
Duration : Start with 30 times or 1 min. increase upto 5 mins min. upto 10 mins max.
Benefits : aabha, tej, obesity, constipation, gastric, acidity, Croesus(liver), hepatitis B, uterus, diabetes, stomach problems, cholesterol, allergic problems, asthma, snoring, concentration, and even cancer and AIDS.
Tips : heart and high BP patients, and weak people do it slowly.

Swamiji says "dharti ki sanjivini hai kapal-bhati pranayam" and that it "cures all diseases of world".

View Video of Kapal Bhati Pranayam being performed by Swami Ramdev ji