Thyroid Disorders Community
Hyperthyroid and stomach pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hyperthyroid and stomach pain

I'm wondering if anyone else that has been diagnosed as being hyperthyroid have severe stomach pain and nausea. It isn't constant, but it does come and go. The pain can become unbearable at times and I'm not sure if I get this because of hyperthyroid or if it is the ptu making me so sick. I'm at my wits end with this. If someone is experiencing the same thing, has anything worked for you so there isn't so much discomfort?
Hi Dee!

I am Hyper, and currently taking PTU.  How long have you been taking it?  What dose are you on?  I was like that for the first few days on PTU, but I feel completely fine now.  I am told that peppermint tea helps.  I didn't try it because it stopped before I had the chance to!!  Have you spoke with your Doctor about this?  Please let me know how you are.

Take care,
Shari
I was diagnosed with hyperthyroid in Februrary of this year...I've had many ups and downs when it came to my taking ptu..I started off with taking 450 mg daily....there were 2 times I had to get off my meds, once for a thyroid scan, and the next I don't even remember...I go to a military hospital that is understaffed and overworked...I got lost in the system for awhile and so I ended up trying to regulate my own meds...I take 100 mg 3x a day now and have for some time...I do get a biopsy done this Thursday...I'm still waiting to get my referall to an endocrinologist...the pain gets so bad at times that I am unable to function...I get what information I need through this site...my labs are coming ok now, but my FT4 is still on the low side...I've tried taking nausea meds that chemo patients take, it does help ease the nausea at times, but does nothing to relieve the pain...I will try the peppermint tea...and thank you for your input
I have hyperthyroid..Before I started on my meds (methimazole)  I had severe stomach cramps and couldnt hold anything in my stomach...I would get nausea just thinking of food..and even some smells I would get sick. Since my meds I dont get this as much..The noticeable symptom is shaking.
I would take plenty of pepto bismol..  but sometimes that didnt help.
I hope this helps those out there still looking for answers.  The stomach pain is the fact that Hyperthyroidism increases or speeds up all your systems.  You may salivate more, hair will grow faster, your menstrual cycle will be more intense and you have stomach pains because your body is processing food so fast that it can't keep up.  Try drinking milk.  Keep tums with you at all times.  Unfortunately, if you are dieting or exercising...it will get worse.  Don't cut out carbs completely...your body has to have something stable to process.  Try eating every four hours.  I know that's hard when you have to sleep.  I usually  have one cup of oatmeal before bedtime and that will get me through 6 to 7 hours of sleep.  Then its a large glass of milk first thing in the morning.  The pain is bad...I know.  It's worse if you already have an ulcerated stomach lining or ulcers.  Good luck to those out there.  I wouldn't wish this on anyone!!  But remember...Hypothyroidism is much worse...weight gain that will never come off.  Do your research before letting a Doctor radiate your thyroid.  You can live with this.  Believe me.
You are absolutly right.  I was diag. with hyper.  Had graves, goiter and my heart was pounding away.  Was in a thyroid storm.  Doc said to opperate would kill me, So i had to have radiation.  After my son was born, i then became hypo.  Hes 18 now and Im 54.  I have always been somewhat thin.  Now I am gaining weight and cant get it off.
My 21 year old daughter was diag. this morning with hyper.  She has the severe stomach pain and cant keep much on her stomach.  She has lost so much weight and feels so awful...... I feel so sorry for her.
I wouldnt wish this disease on my worst enemy.