Hyperthyroidism/Hormone question
I am 39 years old and trying to conceive and I am wondering if I should be concerned about abnormal thyroid levels.  I can’t seem to get any clear answers on whether or not I really have a “hyperthyroid” issue. I started noticing that my hair was falling out (thinning), scalp burned, increased irritability, sleep disturbances, “hot flashes “and weight loss w/ increased appetite about year ago. These s/s started several months after changing birth control pills and would worsen closer to my menstrual cycle.  I reported this to my GYN MD and he ordered a thyroid panel and ANA titer. My levels were abnormal in Jan & Feb.
Jan. 2009: TSH 1.97, T3 Total: 201,T-3 uptake 23, T-4 Free 1.3,T-4 Total 17.9, Free T4 index 4.1.
(testosterone,free  0.37)
Feb 2009: TSH 2.02, T-4 Total 17.4, Free T4 index 4.2 (all others WNL)
The ANA titer was  (+) but the ANA panel was “negative” except for Centromere B antibody was positive @1.0.
I was referred to my PCP to discuss “mild thyroid dysfunction” she repeated my TSH  6 weeks later which was reported as “normal, no other thyroid levels were taken.
I did have a thyroid panel in April 2009 (during hospitalization) T4, Free 1.50 and TSH 2.13 the next day T4,free was 1.54, TSH 3.23. My PCP just blew me off and said not to worry about the abnormal levels in Jan/Feb.
The symptoms stopped about 4-5 months ago around the same time that I stopped my BCP. I feel better than I have felt in a long time. The only medications I take are Adderall XR 30mg QD, Prevacid QD.  Only PMH: 1cm pineal cyst, my neurologist is monitoring and tells me that it has nothing to do with thyroid function.
I am curious if hormones, birth control pills or other medications can play a role in thyroid levels? I really want to know if it is possible to have episodes of “hyperthyroidism” and does it resolve on its own? Now that I am trying to conceive is this something I should be concerned about? What should I monitor if I no longer have the s/s of hyperthyroidism in regards to fertility? We have been trying to conceive for 3 months now with no luck and with my age, I don’t want to waste time if I need to see an Endocrinologist.
If it's been over a year since you've had your thyroid levels checked (since April 2009), then it'd be a very good idea to do this again before you get pregnant.Hypothyroidism can make it difficult to conceive if you do not have enough available thyroid hormone in the body. Make sure you get the freet3 and the freet4 ( free not total) tested and the TSH. Please post the ranges along with your actual results so that we can better see where you are falling within those ranges. As far as hyperthyroidism (too much thyroid hormone) and conceiving, I'm not sure, but it probably also interferes.Birth control hormones can be a real issue if you already have thyroid issues, not a good idea to combine the two in my opinion and can probably make thyroid issues worse.I'm not surprised that you are feeling better off of it now.Good luck with conceiving, and get that blood work redone as soon as you can. God Bless!
I would go see a neuro-endocrinologist. With a pineal cyst that large, your pituitary may be effected. The TSH is a pituitary test. It may be changing due to things up there, not your pituitary. The sleep issues, hot flashes etc are pituitary - again, you need more testing.

I would also see a neuro-opthomologist and get your eyes checked as the cyst is near  your optic nerves.