Thyroid Disorders Community
Hyperthyroidism and TSH

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hyperthyroidism and TSH

2 months ago I was diagnosed with an over active thyroid; TSH = undetectable, FT3 = 5.29 and FT4 = 16.7.
I was put on Carbimazole and re-tested after 1 month; results were TSH = 0.08, FT3 = 3.25 and FT4 = 9.9.
I was told to reduced the dose of Carbimazole and the following month the bloodtest results were; TSH = 33.0, FT3 2.73 and FT4 = 8.5.
I have now been told to stop medication and come in for another blood test in a few days.

Has anyone experienced such a jump in TSH from 0 to 33.0 in 2 months.  Does this mean that I am now under-active?

I really don't feel any different at all.  The only reason I need to get this sorted out is that planning on having a baby and was trying to get my thyroid sorted out.

Just wondering if anyone had any helpful thoughts/ideas?

did they check antibodies?

It is possible that the hyperthyroid was transient.  The next blood test should be revealing of whether you are hypo or hyper.

It maybe that are switching between them.  However, it is very important to get your thyroid stabilised before betting pregnant as thyroid hormones are critical for a healthy preganncy.

Let us know how your next blood tests are.

Yep, I was trested for antibodies and thyroperoxidase and thyroglobulin antibodies were both positive at 255 abd 220 u/ml.

My latest blood tests have come back and TSH = 7.6, FT3 4.65 and FT4 = 10.7.  So both FT4 and FT3 back within range but TSH still elevated indicating that I'm now underactive?  Or might it be the case that the TSH level is still trying to normalise?

It would be the Carbimazole that has made your TSH high as thats what it is used for ....to bring down hyperthyroid leve;s.
The only things about anti-thyroid meds is that you can go from hyper to hypo in 2-3 weeks flat so I always had labs done very 2-3 weeks so as to avoid the rollercoaster.
Have you had the test for Graves antibodies done? The test is called TSI (thyroid stimulating immunoglobulins).
I suggest that if you havent that you get this blood test done.

ATDS didnt work for me and I had RAI in 2008.
Sally is right about getting good levels before trying for a pregnancy.
Good Luck :o)
Hi Smilerdeb

My endocrinologist just suggested monthly testing reducing the dose each month and thought it would have settled and I'd be off medication within 3 months.  So for the first month TSH had hardly improved just going from 0 to 0.08.  Was shocked at the huge jump the following month to 33.0 and then 4 days later tested after stopping Carbimazole I was re-tested and it had come back down to 7.6.  

Any idea how long TSH takes to normalise?  I'm worried that I'll now be given drugs for an underactive thyroid and just going to be yo-yoing between the 2 for months.  I came off Carbimazole on 27th Sept when my TSH was 33.0, was last tested on 1st Oct which gave the TSH reading of 7.6 and seeing my consultant tomorrow.

The thing is I don't feel any different whatsoever... I never had any of the obvious symptoms of an overactive thyroid apart from no menstrual cycle and maybe a bit restless.  

I'lll check with my Endocrinologist about the TSI test... all he said was that positive for thyroperoxidase and thyroglobulin antibodies but he did say that the rest of the tissue autoantibodies were negative so maybe this relates to TSI?  I'll check when I see him tomorrow.

Thanks guys