Thyroid Disorders Community
Hyperthyroidism and weight gain???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hyperthyroidism and weight gain???

I'm new to this and just hoping to get some good answers from some of ya'll with thyroid disease.

I had my first and only child in Dec '05. Developed hyperthyroidism April '06 and have been ever since even to this day. I have gone to several Endo's and got answers like Grave's Disease, Hashimoto's, thyroid going to fail, etc. Not one of the same diagnosis from any Endo. I have a new Endo appt. next Thursday at U. of Penn and I got some great references so I hope he is the one.

My levels have gone down considerably. Here are some of my results:

Thyroglobulin Antibodies   93 High     (<20)
Thyroid Peroxidase         >1000 high  (<35)
T3, Total                  473 high    (60-181)
T4, Free                   3.3 high    (0.8-1.8)
TSH                        0.01 low  

The TSH has been bouncing between 0.01 and 0.02 low. The t4, Free had been at 10.6 but has come down a bit. The T3 is slowly but surely increasing a bit every time I get a new blood test. The Endo that thought I have Hashimoto's said it was becasue of the antibodies. The other Endo said that I was going to crash and be low, Hashimoto's. Another one said that I had Grave's and the last one said it was Post-partum thyroiditis with hyperthyroidism only and that in time I would recover.

As all of this is going on, I have gained 20 lbs. and I'm very sad, I just can't get it off and I'm only eating about 200-300 calories a day now. This is something that is confusing doctors too.

Along with the thyriod, I suddenly developed PCOS. My gyno thinks it's from the thyroid levels being high and the Reproductive Endo tells me its not. Now I'm one birth control which makes me nauseous all day long. I've tried almost all brands on the market and I still get nauseous all day long.

I live outside of Philadelphia and we are lacking in good Endo's in this area so I keep searching for the right one that seems to know what is going on. This has turned into a nightmare, I'm supposed to be enjoying my life as a new mommy and I'm so sad all of the time, I keep getting fatter and fatter!!

Maybe someone else has a similar problem, heard of it before, knows someone with the same problem or can give me any advice as to what is going on with me. I will be so absolutely grateful to you.
I have been suffering with the same problems for the past year in half. I have been on Synthyroid since December. One of the biggest problems is that I am loosing so much hair and I just found out that one of the side effects of Synthyroid is hair loss. I am so frustrated. Just thought I'd let you know I feel your pain. Good Luck! I hope you find a a good doctor.
My Doctors are keeping me hyper to inhibit tumor growth and I have gained 30lbs and can't lose it. She told to to stop trying, I'm just fighting my body.  I am hungry all of the time but I don't eat a lot because I don't want to gain any more weight.  They told me that a small percentage of people who are hyper for a long time can exhibt some of the symptoms of hypo, such as weight gain...lucky  me.

I just posted something so similar, I have the same problems just had a baby 4 months ago got blood work retest and TSH is still low. I am always tired, no sex drive, irritable and weight gain.  No doctor has yet to tell me how to fix the thyroid problem or what to do.  It figures I have a thyroid problem where I should be skinny and keep weight off of me but no I have to be one of the those people who gain not lose. It seems alot of people have the same problems, is thyriod problems that difficult to deal with, doctors dont seem to have any answers.  So hang in there I'm in the same boat.
Thanks to everyone so far. I thought I really was the only one. I just wonder now, if I did get treatment at this point, would I lose any weight. I was told by a friend that she know someone with Grave's Disease that gain weight and lost weight when she started treatment.
The Endo that I am going to see next week is supposed to have dealt with hyper and weight gain. I will definitley post and let you know what he tells me. In that way, we can help each other.
From my experience so far and from what I hear, there are not many good Endocrinologists around anywhere. That's why I've seen so many and still can't find one that can help me.
By the way... anyone having a lot of water retention like me??
Having been a hyper w/ TSH levels that read <.01 which meant to little to read , i have had w/ meds .02  and although I felt horrible I was not crazy. Being hypo is a drag, it is more difficult to adjust.. keep looking for the best endo in your area.   Hair loss is something that happens when levels are drastically altered. I found out the hard way.  and the weight gain as well. (again i was a hyper,  and 10 pounds is alot to me) but keep drinking water and take your meds 4 hours on each side from any calcium and 1 hour from food.) I learned when I was very sick from graves that cheese helped absorb the thyroxine.It made me feel better.  my dr. agreed that calcium interrferred w/ thyroxsine absorbtion.  Try to get a med regime that allows the med. to absorb properly. good luck
Thank God! I went to the doctor because I thought I had postpartum depression, and after blood tests found that I had an overactive thyroid.  It was confusing to me, because I've been struggling to lose the baby weight and have even GAINED since giving birth.  The doctor said weight gain with hyperthyroidism isn't uncommon - but I thought she was just being nice! I'm so glad that I'm not the only with this problem. It's just depressing to know that I've been struggling to lose it for 5 months, and my body was working against me the whole time.  Good luck to all of you!
I will tell you that my endo told me that you have to eat and excerise. more than before when we have thyroid disease. Eating 200-300 calories a day may not be enough to get the fuel going in your body. She gave me this web site and it is great for me you might try it and see how it goes...www.yourweight.com remember you have to eat to burn calories.  She told me at least walk around the block three times a week is better than nothing..that is easier said than done when your legs do not want to move. I feel your pain as I'm fighting the same issues but we just have to keep our heads high and give it all...Yes, easier said than done..you are talking to someone that has been trying for over 3 yrs to loose weight lose a few then gain 10 back...it is a extreme emotional roll coaster.

Please us posted. I will keep you in my prayers.

Take Care-Pam
I feel your pain with the "hyperthyroid with weight gain".  I have the same problem.  I was told that my thyroid problem hits my metabolism so I feel like eating.....
I also have sinus problems that drain into my stomach, back problems and heel spurs that limit my exercise at the present.
Some tips-well, watch what you eat and try to get SOME exercise.  I learned that protein makes you feel full longer because it burns off slower.  I eat alot of fish and chicken.  I eat peanut butter, but it has fat, so be careful how much.  If you eat because you feel depressed, try popcorn and also go for a walk! The natural light outside really lifts up moods!  Try a walk on a beach or go on a trail with a friend.  Exercise also helps you feel "happy" so you need to find something that you can do that helps you burn weight and feel good-what about an eliptical glider? I put one in front of my television. Do a little more each day.  Take your baby for a stoll with a friend along a public track.  
Whatever you do-keep your chin up!!!  I know it is hard and I get sad too, but when you get sad-get on a treadmill or walk! It will take time, but don't weigh yourself daily as you may feel depressed.....stick to a diet and a routine and weigh yourself at the end of a month perhaps.  Even if it is only a couple of pounds, remember it takes time and just don't stop trying.  I am presently getting back on my feet from a back injury.  I have watched what I ate even though I could not exercise much and I have only fluctuated by 3 pounds.   Oh, and if no endo seems to help-read and look up some info yourself.  The library has alot of good thyroid reading.  Just don't give up!!
I understand what you are saying.  For about a year, I tried to get someone to listen to me.  I gained about 60 pounds in about 4 months.  Something wasnt right.  I weight always flucutated between 5-6 pounds plus or minus.  

At the same time I was on predisone for asthma/allery related issues and hyalagan for my knees.  So walking was kind of out of the question.  My best friend kept saying it was my thyroid (hypo).

Everytime, I did the blood work, everything came back normal and they kept stressing the losing of weight.  I kept saying that nothing has change except I feel tired and for some unknown reason had a taste for sweets, which I never have.

Anyway, I started walking on the bad knees. I had knee surgery on both and injections since the knee surgery on one knee.  Watch what I ate and drank plenty of water. Nothing happen.

I go for the annual rountine check up and walla... my labs are out of whack. The numbers just happen to read hyper in stead of hypo.  Then endo just said, "you should be losing weight".

I have tried everything and to no avail.. Now they are listening just a little..

Don't give up... I haven't....Lord knows I have wanted to.
I have hashi's (hypo) & gluten intolerance/wheat allergy.  Even with extra meds, I have not been able to lose weight, even tho I was eating tiny quantities.  I asked my nutritionist as I was feeling faint, shaky & extreme tiredness & craving sugar even tho eating lots of fruit & the right celiac food. (couldn't understand how I could gain weight & get so bloated when I hardly ate anything, especially any fats/meats etc)  Turned out I needed much more protein (meat, eggs, dairy) which I had removed from my diet pretty much as I could not digest them well (except eggs ok).  I have reduced my carbs & now following higher protein diet & taking bpep (hydorochloric acid) to help break the protein down.   Have been able to reduce the bloating and fainting feeling and got back a lot of energy & can do a lot more activity.  I didn't realise that I was focusing too much on gluten free & energy food to boost me and was adding to the weight/energy problem.  Nutritionist says body won't release its storages if not eating enough protein.    It seems to be helping a lot.  The first rule is to eat protein for breakfast, & some more every 2.5 hrs thru the day. I don't know if it might help anyone else, but it is helping me (Ps still eat lots of fruit, but after a meal instead of being the meal!)
Cheers Maggie
Please, please people, have your adrenals checked.  Adrenal fatigue has the same symptoms as thyroid disease and if you are not getting results from thyroid treatment, chances are that your adrenals are not functioning properly, either.  I had mine done through my naturopath.  It is a saliva test done over a day and takes 10 days for the results to come back, so the longer your wait, the longer the problem exists.  It might be something as simple as taking DHEA once of twice a day that will start to get you back on the track to feeling better.  It did me.  So, please, have them checked.
only one difference here i am male
i have had hyperthyroid most of my life[from what i can remember it started  at age 14] unknowen till around 2002
i started with tapazol 25.mg once per day[i think] but droped to 5mg/ day with in a year
2 years ago i decided to ask questions in canada they [the experts] like to keep the tsh level as close to 25 as posiable
i was as most tired weight gain and all the rest 1 year ago i hit 300lbs  
i figgered that at tsh level 25 my thyroid was acting like hypo so i cut my pills in half i have and still take 1/2 pill per day
i have a bad addiction to sweets and when they hit i eat like a pig
for what goes in i gain little weight[when i do this i fill the toilet 3-4 times in the moring food sweets go through me in 12 hours what should take 48 hours] i have lost 120 lbs[i would have lost more but addiction=weight]
i know when i am tired and deppresed[this takes awhile to clue in to the clues] that indacates lower dosage
if running around like a 5 year old [nervous] increase dosage
i like to keep my tsh level at 17 not 25 i feel better at 17[tsh]
it is hard to morerate but better then depresed and all that goes with it
ifupleze though is good to do as well
i will have my doctor do that tomorrow
ps: i lost my hair top of head at 25years old it is growing back now
I have been Type I diabetic for 20 years.  I am 38 soon to be 39.  I have just recently gained 15 pounds.  I have been eating like a pig, alot of sweets and junk.  I was in for my recent endo check up, I told him about being so tired and irritable, shaky, suddenly irregular periods.  I was told I am hyperthyriod Graves Disease.  I started on tapazole, have been on for 4 weeks, still can not lose a pound.  I just began itching all over uncontrollably.  Called the Endo. He called in a new script but said not to start taking until I stop itching.  I feel like a fat mess.  Everyday I add another pair of pants into the pile that recently fit but don't anymore.  It is very depressing and wasn't diabetes enough to begin with?  Thanks for listening!!   Michelle
I too have had problems with weight and hypethyroidism due to Graves originally, now due to levothyroxine level for thyca supression.  Before I was diagnosed with thyroid problems, looking back, I had all kinds of hyper symptoms EXCEPT the weight loss....just my luck too!!!   I fought like he// to lose 35 lbs over the course of 1 1/2 years (only 4' 11 1/1" tall).  Even though I was hyper, I had to literally exercise my butt off to lose any weight.  After TT and RAI I got kicked into menopause at 46....again....just my luck.   All this hormonal inbalance has caused insomnia for over a year and chronic fatigue.  I haven't been able to exercise for over 6 mos.  My endo thinks I'm depressed....hmmm.....I call in being crazy from menopause and being hyper.  It's all been rather frustrating....don't know what to blame.  Oh, yeah.....my love of food doesn't help with the weight loss either.   Talk about a rollercoaster.  I've gone from a size 14/16, down to a size 8, and now am back to a 14/16.    Just know you're not alone.  There are lots of us unfortunate ones that has Graves and can't lose weight.....we can lose our minds....just not out butts!!!!
Wow!  I thought I was the only one! I found out by accident my T4 was high and I have been referred to an Endo.  But I too had a baby last year and gain 30 lbs after she was born.  Working hard to loose it and yet nothing happens! I probably consum 2000 calories a day but I am on my feet from 7 Am till Midnight every day I am a very busy dog groomer with a 1 year old and 9 dogs of my own I should be skin and bones with all the running around i do all day but even with diet and exercise nothing comes off and stays off.  My chiropractor has warned me about possible side effects of common treatments for Hyperthyrodism and suggested I talked to someone who specializes in homeopathic treatments, any suggestions?  my email is ***@****
Thanks for everyone's insight and help. I haven't been able to post much lately. I have had a lot of stress in my life since August 07.... my deaf white boxer, Haley, passed at 7 years old from TCC (Transitional Cell Carcinoma - Bladder), my mother committe suicide on Oct. 4, 2007 and my father is going through an emotional rollercoaster ever since. For him, the Grave's Disease came back and he is on Tapazole again. For me, I moved to a new town about 45 mins away, have a new Black Boxer, Skyler and between her and my 2 yrs. old son, Michael, they keep me active and busy all day and night. So now, as I thought that with having so much trauma in my life I would be hyper again but I am now Hypo instead, saw my endo today and she is giving me Amour Thyroid 15 mg starting today. I still am not eating as of yet, even gained a few pounds somehow but I am looking forward to the water and weight to come off and give me some relief. If it doesn't by June, they are going to search for other possible problems. I'll keep everyone updated as I try out meds for the first time ever!!

Chrissypurplegirl,
I have been so interested in homeopathic treatments but haven't gone as of this day even though I do plan on it. I have heard mostly good and a little bad but in my opinion, go for it. They do tests like a specialist looking for problems that you have so that they can treat you and from what I have heard so far, they aim for health and well being so you will feel great each day and be healthier. Just know that sometimes the homeopathic treatments might not cure or treat you without traditional medications but they can make a combination for you that works well. I have heard from others that they had their meds reduced with homeopathic treatments. Let me know how it goes for you if you haven't already done so.
hi, im 20 and was diagnosed  with hyperthyroidism this year!  at first i lost abt 7kg in abt 3 months and now i have been gaining weight.

the thing is tht i have stopped taking my medication since abt march and wen i retook the blood test again last month i found that although mt tsh was still zero the t3 and t4 levels have improved...wat should i understand by tht?...im i only the right path and is the medication nt tht important?

please i need an answer soon
Hi,just like everyone,I' was diagnosed with hyper few weeks back.I'm losing weight since last month and had all the symptom relating hyper.
After seeing the doctors, she prescript me with medicine to be taken for 2 months.Responding to lovely0314, by taking medicine will result in gaining weight? Is that true?
It's great that I saw this blog because I have been puzzled about my huge appetite and weigt gain even though I have hyperthyroid. I felt horrible because people with hyperthyroid are suppose to loose weight. I am going to see another endo tomorrow. Has anyone will my problem started loosing weight after getting treatment? A doctor at a clinic said that I won't gain weight if I eat more vege and less carb, but I think it's easier said than done. I tried to job but my heart felt uncomfortable. I feel so horrible because I have gained 7 kg so far. Does anyone have some solution or suggestion to offer? Does appetite depressant bills work?
I  have learned from years of dieting that it is possible to eat too little which may be the case with you.  Your body thinks you are starving and will hold on to what you do eat for that reason.

I am recovering from TT due to thyroid cancer and fighting the weight gain which seems to be part of the program from what I am reading.  
I have had every symptom of hyperthyroidism except I put on weight even on 2,000 calories a day and if I cut down to 1,500 I can just about maintain the same weight.  I was told I was hyperthyroid when I got heart arrhythmias and tachycardia, and my T4 tested at 13, and my TSH was low.  I get very thirsty but there was nothing wrong when they tested my blood glucose.  I get breathless even/especially lying down, tired, hot, sweaty, insomnia, heart tachycardia, arrhythmia and angina pains, and loss of periods.

I have noticeably swollen ankles, and a doctor pointed out that it is non-pitting, which is supposed to mean it isn't caused by heart disease.  Doing a bit of research on the internet, I did wonder if the jelly-like cellulite which I have never had before in my life is what they call myxedema, and if that can be caused by hyperthyroidism as well as hypothyroidism.  I noticed that I have that all over, most noticeable on arms, and that it is all subdermal and the least affected place is round my waist - thankful for small mercies.

I am taking bisoprolol, a beta blocker, for heart arrhythmia and tachycardia.  I feel so ill all the time, I actually wondered if I have early dementia because sometimes I can't think or read, let alone do anything, and my memory doesn't work, it is as if whatever is causing being out of breath is stopping enough oxygen getting to my muscles and brain.  For the past couple of years I have felt so tired that if I go swimming I just give up after a couple of lengths sometimes, from a feeling of exhaustion, faintness and heart pains, and not being able to breath properly.

I suppose all these symptoms might be due to hyperthyroidism, and the weight could be myxedema?  I have tried reading books on the subject, but it gets so confusing with theories about thyroid resistance and all kinds of other things that don't make sense.
I am 64 and have been HYPOthyroid since I was 18.  This summer I changed the time I took my synthroid -- to the evening.  It was the only time I could get it in the "window" of no food two hours before and one hour later.  And I started to gain weight, and weight and more weight.  Had a complete panel done last week, and found out I was now hyperthroid!  The meds were not binding to anything anymore, so my appetite increased.  I was working out, gardening, walking, but at the same time, gaining weight, and losing muscle mass.  I am now taking less synthroid and we will check it out again it two months.  It is so nice to know that the hyperthroid could be a cause of the weight gain.  Now I am going out for a walk.  Judy in very dry November Colorado.
I have been hypo for many years and was on Armour during most of those years.  Several months ago I was having horrible anxiety (worse in the morning) heart palpitations, sweating, exhaustion by late afternoon and not sleeping well at night.  My family doc said he thought my T3 was too high (he didn't do bloodwork) and promptly put me on a comparable dose of levo.  I've had 2 blood draws and three medication changes and I know that it is still not right.  I am due for another blood draw in about 2 weeks, but I made an appointment with an endocrinologist.  I feel I need some direction.  I am also gaining weight mostly in my mid section and I haven't changed my eating habits.  My family doc told me that sometimes our thyroid gland decides to start working and it throws everything off.  So now I am hyper.  Is this true?  Am I doing the right thing by going to the specialist?
hello, i have been on eltroxin 100mcg about 2 months now, i got blood work down last week an TSH is 0.75 an T4 is 16.7 for some reason doc said i didnt need T3 done but anyways im havin a very hard time losing weight an i have lots to lose, i eat healthy an eat anywheres from 800 to 1200 cals a day an still struggling. the doctor told me not to increse my dose more then 100mcg. how long does this upped pill take to get into my system i thought by now this would help with the weight loss? my resting heart rate is anywheres from 78 to 82
I'm currently 18 years old and was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism about 6 months ago. Prior to this, I gained weight and I gained a ton of it (i'm 5'8 and i went from 150 to 190). When i got my blood work done, my endo told me that the weight gain was definitely not from the hyperthyroidism because its "too rare." well, obviously not that rare if i'm not alone here. Anyway, i'm now taking 3 10mg methimazole and I have gone from 190 to 215. I have done everything, cut the amount of food I eat, which is harder done than said, and I went to the gym, 7 days for an hour a day. Nothing worked, I just kept gaining the weight. I'm a senior in high school and my prom is coming up and now i think about the fact that this weight gain, i will not even be able to find a prom dress. It really breaks my heart and makes me cry.
I am 37 years old. I have been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and i have gained over 100 lbs in less than 1 year. I have been hospitalized 2 times in the past 2 months. I am now on multiple meds that are suppose to be helping but I am unable to lose the weight. I went from weighing my usual of 263 -265 being that I am over 6 feet tall to 366 my heaviest weight was 390. I am devastated because i hate being this big and people look at you funny and assume that you are lazy and eat all day when that is the total opposite....I eat healthy no alcohol and not a lot of junk food. I can agree with everyone on this panel...this really ***** I live in Fl and can not enjoy any of the theme parks with my family because I can't fit into any of the rides.
i have hyperthyroidism twice the first time i had was after having my 1st child, i lost 32lbs which was great but was very tired etc, this time i have it after having my 2nd child but cannot for the life of me lose the weight infact im gaining which have depression too is not helping, my levels are really high and they have upt my medication to 40mg carbizmasol and propananol which i can take up to 3 x a day, my heart rate is racing all the time i can be sat watching tv or be lay in bed and become very short of breathe to the point i have palpitations and almost have a severe panic attack, its driving me crazy which i could be normal again, they offered me radioactive tablets to totally kill off the thyroid gland but would still need to be on tablets, make sure your making your doctor fully aware of how you are feeling because depression will only make it worse, as i said i suffer from depression and have regular meetings with my doctor cause being hyper can make me feel really down, keep your chin xxxx
hello my name i joanna..i was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroid..i was so freakin scared , i honestly thought i was going to die..the anxiety and panic attacks kick in..and it makes you wanna just die..i was losing a little bit of weight and wondering why..but my hair was thinning.. and then i was say hold up.. whats going on..but if i didnt go to the doctor for a checkup..i would have never known..but now im in a better place..thank god..and it is what it is..we have to hold our heads up keep moving..and ask questions when you go to the doctors..when i first found out about my disease i didnt even have insurance..and i was soo down and depressed and my the lord brought my neice to me..and she spoke to me .. and make me fight.. and now thats what im doing.. fighting.. and her mom helped me get health insurance because i didnt want to do anything...i thought my life was literally over.. but i came to a conculsion..would i rather live the rest of my life living.. or dieing ..and preffered to live.. and if anyone that reads this..i wish for them to live..and be happy..because believe me it can be worse..")
I was just diagnosed with Graves disease, but I am soo confused. I had my twins 21 months ago. I gained 53 lbs. I have always been a person that works out, never super skinny, but very athletic build. About 6 months after my twins birth I could not lose any of the last 20 lbs. As I started to workout 6 months ago, my weight went up 30 more lbs. I was using calorie count, tracking everything, 12 weeks into p90x and running on the treadmill, weight gain and my sister adviced me to start to get testing. I have not lost any weight, I have been able to maintain where I am but this weight is taking a toll on my body. Can you go from hypo to hyper and could I not be losing weight due to being early stages of graves disease? Anybody who has been here can you give me your advice. Thanks! Kerri
Have you been tested for the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T3 and Free T4, along with the TSH test?  If so, please post results and reference ranges shown on the lab report.  If not, you really need to know those levels to assess your thyroid status.  Also, have you been given any medication for the Grave's?
Hi I'm 18 and I haven't been technically diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, but my TSH along with T3 and T4 do show it, as well as Grave's Disease is in my genetics (my mom HAD it until it was zapped).  I'm always tired, always hungry I eat 6 or 7 times a day, keep gaining weight not losing :(, and have a lot of headaches (at least half of a month is composed of headaches sometimes 10 straight days pounding and throbbing, although I am not sure if they are related).  I also have a gall stone and am one of the few people who feel pain from it (although it isn't too often maybe a few times every few days and just sharp pain) which I also doubt has anything to do with it..  I am also consecutively somewhat below platelet count.  I'm not sure if these extras may have something to do with it or not.  I'm also mentioning that I always shake.  At work handing something back to someone, I shake and sometimes it's very noticable and embarrassing.  I'll also add I was on accutane a year ago (once again also not sure if it is related).
My last blood test:

My platelets should range between 150-400, mine get as low as 111                          
WBC: 3.4L        Range: 4.0-11.0
Neutrophil:   1.6 L     Range    2.0-09.0
TSH:   <0.01   Range: 0.20-6.00
T3:  36.2     Range: 2.7-5.7
T4:  63.9     Range: 10.0-25.0

I'm just posting all of this info to see if anyone has also any of the symptoms the same as me as I feel are unrelated.  I'm confused because everywhere I've read, hyper makes you lose weight but I can't even fit into my jeans anymore.
I recently put on 25lbs in less than two months and was very depressed as I'm supposed to be getting married in January and I was trying to lose weight!  I joined a gym and tried to eat better but no matter what I have done every time I get on the scale I weigh more.  I just went back to my PCP yesterday only to be told I have hyperthyroidism and that I should be losing the weight not gaining it so rapidly.  This of course did not help my mood nor the fact that I am too tired to find extra motivation at the moment.  I was also told I have an iron deficiency which is not helping my lack of energy.  I'm glad that I'm not the only one but I'm very frustrated that this started happening now!  I had blood work done in March 2011 and was told everything was fine and now a few months later I'm packing on the weight and could fall asleep at any given moment during the day!!  I'm supposed to have my first endo appointment in the next week or two but I don't have much hope as they don't seem to be very effective in getting the weight off.  Funny thing is other than headaches and being tired I don't have any of the other Hyper symptoms....  Thanks for posting everyone - I may not have the hope yet but I don't feel so alone either.
I was diagnosed with Graves disease about a month ago. I am so confused though. Instead of losing weight like others with hyperthyroidism, I have gained 50lbs! I am miserable. I hide out in my home because of the weight gain. I diet and exercise and it does work. I am afraid to take meds such as Methimazole because they will increase my weight even more. I don't know what to do. I suffer from depression, anxiety and insomnia.  I know it is because of the condition but what can I do. I REFUSE TO GAIN ANOTHER POUND!  230 IS BIG ENOUGH!  Please help! I feel like just ending it most days, but I have 2 children. I don't want them in therapy for the rest of their lives. But I just don't know what to do.
I was diagnosed with Graves Disease in June this year after a thyroid Scan and RAI Uptake and several blood tests, I have gained weight in the beginning but I have lost 25 pounds since May but in order to stop my shaking in my hands, heart palpitations, chronic insomnia ( I have to take Ambien just to go to sleep ) Swelling and Pain in the thyroid gland and ear. My Endo recommended a Total Thyroidectomy which i will be getting done in September. I did alot of research and this is the best procedure for me. I am tired of not being myself my mood swings which is effecting everyone in my family. I will post after my surgery. To all please hang in there once treated or on meds things do get better. My Endo is stating that this could have been going on for about 10 years and possibly have caused my chronic migraines and chronic IBS
.I am reading these posts and realize that they are very old but I am so desperate that I just want to be healthy.  I am presently trying A.C.E. which is supposed to be an all natural weight loss, um  NOT..waste of my money...I have so many diagnosis that I don't know what to do what to eat and what ever I do I don't lose weight.  I crave suger, carbs as I have no engery all day long and that gives me just a quick fix I understand that but what to do.  I am hypothyroid taking Levothyroxine, I have adrenal fatigue; Polycystic ovary Sydrome; High Cholesterol; retaining water like no other; and estrogen dominance.  So yes am taking meds for each and then my doctor just put me on Metformin I am not seeing any results from this either.  I am so frustrated and desperate a year ago I was 160 down to a size 8 and now I am at 211 and in 14/16's.  I was doing the lite for life program when I just crashed and was craving suger like mad...well the sugar overcame me.  Any suggestions out there please please replay to this desparate 43 year old wife and mother of three.  God Bless. .
Hello , Just seen your post...My TSH low -Hyper..Normal t3 and 4's....Just have uptake friday -Supppose to find out Monday if need to take meds...I  out of breath ,sweating and weight gain.I do not understand either..Why weight gain in Hyper ? Do you thin it's the pituitary instead ? Have you seen and had test since your August  post ? Will my uptake tell docs if this is Graves ? Why would people gain weight first ,early stages? The endocrine Doc  thinks this symptoms temp thyroiditis and I cannot start methox drug  until Monday .When the uptake results are in..Like he thinking this is not totally bad.But there a issue.He running additional 10 test for tumor marker as I had carcinoid Tumor 20 years ago..He states he taking precautions but doubts there one on another endocrine organ...He cannot let me sit and never get to the root of hyper TSH low issue..Which is good,,But I am worried LIKE MANY HERE! He said they done 14 bloods test when rheum doc actually found this-Due to legs arms and joint aching for months-Prior I sweating ,out breath ,sinus issues ,tired,weak .He ran test then refer me out to Endo-I seen him Oct 6 2011 first time..The ultra sound normal..They did the uptake Thursday and Friday-Result Monday 10-10-11..Hope I get good answers -I worry about tumors and cancer issues...He acts like this is not that -After this result..He doing 10 more test Wed Oct 12th and urine for markers of other endocrine answers..So does this sound like a good Endo -? Being he taking so many test..He taken hour with me first visit and pulled 4 ER visit labs, all  ct an x rays study these...Jotting in tablet...So what have you found out so far ?..  Thanks for any help..Diana
Thanks Judy, you helped answer my question. I was diagnosised with hypothyroidism in 1999. I have never had a problem with weight. i am 2 yrs post heart transplant, and my Dr's are surprised I even kept the weight off while taking predinizone. I am 42 yrs old. The last 2 months I have put on 15 pounds. Nothing has changed. After having my T3 and T4 checked I am very high and my Dr is lowering my synthroid. i am hoping this will get me back into my clothes. . . buying a whole new closet in a few weeks is crazy! i wish you the best. Lisa
Please post your thyroid test results and their reference ranges shown on the lab report.
Hi, have just got hyperthyroid back again after a year of being fine. would like to know at what level does the hyperthyroid get really serious. my levels are <0.05 (TSH) 46.0 (T4) 17.1 (T3), cannot get an appointment with specialist until Dec 1st. Hair loss!! weight gain about 4lbs so far. just feel really alone and fed up.
Hi Vichett I totally agree with you, I am hyper and have gained weight, my doc says it is because of the extra energy being used is making me hungry all the time which is true, so I try and graze on home made soups avoid red meat and if I have to eat I do try and stick to veggie sticks, though none of this is helping my weight!! my hair is falling out and my skin condition is really going down hill. biggest problem though is I am allergic to both hyper meds so just have to take PTU which only makes me swell so much that I cannot type well. do not want to do surgery as I do not want to be hypo!
God bless you and all of us going through life's hardship. I have developed hyper thyroids since giving birth to my daughter and 3rd child in 2007. Now am constantly exhausted and have gained 20lbs that wont go away. I have discontinued taking meds and have since just paid attention to my body. It has a way of telling me when to stop and what to add or take away. Sometimes that means making a journal of what am eating and feeling throughout the day. Plus when I can or cant work out. Its not easy but I will try this until it stops working. God is able and He is a healer. God bless you all again as we find healing.
I totally understand and I am thankful to God that I am not the only one who went through this.

I was diagnosed when I was 23 with Hyperthryoidism.  I had all the signs (including a large goiter and big bulging eyes) but I gained over 60 pounds in a less than a year. I started gaining weight and developing paralyzing migraines that lasted for months and I was hospitalized twice before I was even diagnosed with HT.  Because my obesity runs in my family, the doctor just thought I was following suit and becoming like the rest of my family.  I received psychotropic medicines as the doctors thought nothing was wrong with me and I was crazy. Finally, while in the hospital the 2nd time (in technically the psychiatric floor), someone got the bright idea to test my thyroid and and I indeed had hyperthyroidism.  No one could understand why I was rapidly gaining weight. A doctor at a different facility told me that there is a small percentage of people who have gained weight with an overactive thyroid.  Oh great!! I was given iodine treatments and of course, it overshot and I've been on synthroid since.  I am 40 years old and losing weight is the hardest thing.  By the time all of this was over, I had gained nearly 130lbs.  I lost 30lbs (which took 6 months with weight watchers and heavy duty exercise) but it's still extremely slow in moving.

I work in a hospital and some doctors doubted that I gained that much weight due to a thyroid condition (hyper or hypo) but seeing that it's not so uncommon makes me know that doctors really DON'T know everything.  I pray for you all in your struggle!
So sad, but not unusual, to hear that story.  Anyway, what I have learned from my own experiences and my almost 4 years of participation on the Forum, plus countless hours of research on the Internet is that misdiagnosis of hypothyroidism primarily stems from The "Immaculate TSH Belief" that most doctors have.  These doctors have been taught that TSH is a very sensitive test and that it accurately reflects levels of the actual thyroid hormones.  This is absolutely not the case.  TSH is a pituitary hormone that is affected by so many variables that it doesn't even correlate well with the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T3 and Free T4, much less with the hypothyroid symptoms that we all want to be rid of.   Scientific studies that I have located show that Free T3 correlated best with hypo symptoms, while Free T4 and TSH did not correlate.  This is only logical because Free T3 is the unbound (active) portion of Total T3, and Free T3 largely regulates metabolism and many other body functions.

The next big roadblock to adequate diagnosis and treatment is "Reference Range Endocrinology", by which doctors will tell you that a thyroid test that falls anywhere within the so-called "normal" range is adequate for you.  That is totally wrong as well.  The ranges are far too broad, since they have never been corrected as was done for TSH over 8 years ago.  I won't get into why the ranges need to be corrected, but suffice to say that from my training in statistical analysis, if the ranges were corrected as done for TSH, then the new ranges for Free T3 and Free T4 would essentially be the upper half of the current ranges.  From that it is easy to understand why I hear from so many people on the Forum that have Free T3 and Free T4 in the lower half of the range, and still have hypo symptoms.   The ranges would not be such a big issue if doctors used them as guidelines within which to adjust levels as necessary to relieve symptoms.  Instead, belief in "Reference Range Endocrinology" causes the ranges to become pass/fail decisions and the patients suffer the result.

I think the most important thing for you is to find a good thyroid doctor.  By that I mean a doctor that will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting Free T3 and Free T4 as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not just test results.  You can get some good insight about clinical treatment from this letter written by a good thyroid doctor for patients that he sometimes consults with from a distance.  The letter is sent to the PCP of the patient to help guide treatment.

http://hormonerestoration.com/files/ThyroidPMD.pdf

Then I think the next thing for you is to get current testing done for Free T3 and Free T4 (not the same as Total T3 and Total T4), along with TSH.  Since some people have problems with over conversion of T4 to Reverse T3, it would be a good idea to also test for Reverse T3.  Reverse T3 is the mirror image of Free T3, but RT3 is biologically inactive.  Excess RT3 can create hypo symptoms, just like low Free T3 levels.  Don't be surprised if the doctor resists and makes excuses that those tests are not necessary.  Just insist on it and don't take no for an answer.  

Everything I tell you I can support with references to scientific studies.  It is not just my opinion, or stuff I read on the Internet.  

P.S.   Something else I thought you might find interesting is this old post on the Thyroid Forum.

pickdaisies | Apr 18, 2009
Spam
Miscategorized
Abuse
Duplicate
You know your body best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was having some major problems with my metabolism.  I am a nurse and I thoroughly researched all the scientific research on the Internet and at the medical library.  I, too was going to see doctors who would not help me.  Fortunately, I found a doctor who gave me Armour thyroid despite "normal" levels. I brought him a RMR test that showed my BMR in 750-900 range which is very low, I was cold all the time. I was fatigued. When you have to get in the tub 2-3 times a day to warm up your body, you got a problem  I have fake nails and suddenly I wasn't needing to go as normally to have them filled they had really slowed in growth. I put together my own research on my body.   I started taking the medication as prescribed and he adjusted accordingly until I was free of symptoms.  I documented all the thyroid lab work before and after treatment.  I went and had metabolic testing to test my BMR and it measured normal for my age and weight and I was symptom free.  I then tapered myself off the thyroid and within 2 months all symptoms returned and metabolic testing once again was done, and BMR was extremely low. Back on meds. normal. You know your body best and I am not afraid to put the research in front of a doctor's face.  The human body is not black and white.

ok so does anyone have an anwser on how we are going to lose the weight? because i have tryed everything I should be skinny I'm tired and i will take and do anything now please I work so hard to feel good about my self and am still gaining I run every day and train I hardly eat because i hate eithan now looking at food! I'm not vain person I just want to be me again! I have gain 20 kilos in 4 months
This is a very old thread and thecardlady only posted the one time.  It might be helpful if you could post a new thread, listing your own issues, along with your most current thyroid blood test results and their reference ranges, since these vary from lab to lab and must come from your own lab report.

Maybe you aren't eating enough, which can cause your body to hold onto stored fat, since there's not enough coming in to sustain your needs.
hi ya never been on this site but my name is chrissy years ago i was told i needed tyroiod medicine since i could not put weight on ate like a lion was always tired and lost of hair lost and dry skin and beleive me i put lotion on me 5 times a day to keep it from drying out so anyway i went to the doctor family one he sent me for a sona gram on my neck cause by blode work was off the wall with my throid i been on 25 then 50 then 75 now my new doctor has me on 100 had this promblem for about 30 years and i see my new thyroyid doctor neck week ya iam so dam deprenst but my serquel keeps me in line with deprestions my worst worrie is surgery grrrrrrrrrrrrr but if it will help i will do it this weight gain so far from one month 20 pounds always weight most was 121 now iam at 140 in a month iam sorry for going on and on i know ppl who use this site so iam trying it out another question do they have to remove my goiter? does it hurt do i need to be in the hospital pleae someone help me i go next week and iam ready all this stuff driving me nuts my family doctors told me not to read the internet cause its bull i dont believe it well again ty so much had to vent hugggggggggggggsluv chrissy
Clearly, weight gain is a big problem for those who are HYPER. I was diagnosed with Graves 3 years ago.  My weight was stable until my methhimazole (tapazole) was increased to 20 mg...THEN I gained 30 lbs in two months and have never been able to lose it. (even committed to a three month low-cal, healthy diet and personal trainer-NOTHING came off! =0(  )

Here are a few insights:

•My doctor has just ordered a cortisol test.  From what I've read, HYPERthyroidism can increase cortisol levels and make you gain weight.  We'll see what happens!

•As far a cellulite, HYPER causes muscle wasting, which makes you soft and flabby.  It also makes it hard to exercise because if you don't have your muscles working for you, it's difficult and exhausting.

•My experience is that people I know who are HYPO and on meds are thin, fit and feel good.  People who  are HYPER are on a rollercoaster-feeling hypo, then hyper, no energy, feel ill, with weight gain.

I will repost when I get my lab results.  If nothing is amiss, I will just keep hoping that someday I will go into remission and feel normal again and be able to lose weight. =0(

I feel everyone's frustration-I went from being someone who was thin and fit, walked several times a week, took hip hop classes, and had lots of energy to someone who is overweight and constantly wishes they could take naps every day!
Wow.  Your experience is exactly opposite of what I have witnessed and experienced.

Thyroid is a factor in metabolism.  High thyroid (hyper) and the body is overactive metabolism and most of people with Hyper have weight LOSS and have difficult time gaining weight.  Maybe once on medication they can gain and that might be your issue. Or they have over medicated and slowed the metabolism too much.

Most low thyroid (Hypo) tend to find it almost impossible to lose weight and have if anything rapid weight gain.

I suppose there are always exceptions to the rule.
While we usually associate weight loss with hyper and weight gain with hypo, some people don't conform to that.  However, I'm wondering if you aren't overmedicated and hypo at this point...sure sounds that way to me.

Please post recent labs so we can have a look and see what's going on.  Include reference ranges that vary lab to lab and have to come from your own lab report.
I have a thyroid & goiter problem like others in this site. My Dr. finally referred me to a specialist coz he couldn't figure out what's wrong with me. At first he was treating me for hypo but after my 2nd lab test the result is hyper, so he ordered another one and the result was normal. Now that I'm under a specialist he said that my thyroid goes in faces. He ordered a lab test and the result is normal but he said that my TSH is below normal. He prescribed Synthroid to shrink the thyroid and to have some energy back and I'm gonna have a lab test every 3 months to figure what faces of thyroid have and get it under control. When I had hypothyroidism I've lost a lot of weight and now that I've been having hyper and normal I can't lose any weight.
Have you ever been tested for the thyroid antibodies, TPO ab and TG ab?  Also, have you ever had an ultrasound of your thyroid gland?

The reason I ask is that patients with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis often have problems with nodules that can leak thyroid hormone faster than normal.  As a result they will cycle between hypo and hyper.

Also, please post your thyroid test results and reference ranges shown on the lab report.
Very first post to the thread showed BOTH TPO and TG to be elevated clearly she has Hasi's copied and pasted here:
-------------------------

Thyroglobulin Antibodies   93 High     (1000 high  (<35)
TSH                        0.01 low  

--------------------
I still find it odd to me that when Hypo she losses weight and Hyper gains weight. But maybe that is the lag in testing in that the testing is 180 degrees out of phase with the fluctuations of hyper and hypo she is apparently experiencing as a result of Hashi's.
I had the ultrasound done but didn't give me much info than no nodule or mass identidied & I don't have a tumor. I don't have my latest thyroid test result, they won't give me a copy unless they find out what's wrong.The ones I have are from Dec.(down belos). I really don't understand what's going with me, no matter what I do I can't lose weight and I'm always tired.

1st
T4 1.4
TSH 0.68

2nd
T4 Free 3.04 high
TSH <0.006 low

3rd
T4 7.6
TSH <0.006 low
Can you please post the reference ranges that go with those T4 results?  Also, are you currently taking any thyroid meds?  What symptoms do you have that relate to a thyroid problem?
I am on the same boat as everyone else - very frustrating.  I lost 70 pounds before 2008 and then started gaining it back, even though I was still eating and exercising just as much.  Went to a nutritionist in 2011 and they gave me blood work to start a weight loss problem. Only then did my TSH come back at a 0.005.  They did the free t3 and t4 test and those were way out of whack as well.  I was then diagnosed with Graves and given the radioactive iodine treatment.  Since then if I eat super healthy and exercise every day, I maintain my weight or gain a little.  Went on 175mg levothyroxine and was a little high on tsh, went on 200mg levothyroxine, and was too low.  Very frustrating so I feel your pain!  But yes, hyperthyroid can definitely cause weight loss.  My endo also told me that sometimes because you're hyperthyroid you are so anxious that you snack all of the time.  Good luck!
Hi All,
I have been battling with graves for 3 years now. The first year was the worst. My mom was dying and I was so sick with a mysterious illness I could not help take care of her. I went to 3 doctors who all told me I was depressed. Thank GOD my husband was with me at the last cardiologist appointment when the Doc told me everything looks great but your heart rate was completly irregular. My husband got so mad and actually yelled.."look at her" I was 72 pounds literally, I was shaking so bad I vibrated off my chair and the exhaustion was crippling. It was then and only then did the Doc finally look at my blood work and he was shocked, he said OMG do not walk, run to an Endo. My levels were dangerously high since I was not treated for such a long period of time.
My mom passed away and I was inconsolable with grief. On top of that incredible loss I was also dealing with very early menopause, high blood preasure (185/100) bouncing off the walls, didnt know my own name insomnia, and graves I was bed ridden for the last 2 years. I went on Methomozole as soon as I was finally diagnosed and stayed on it for  more then a year and a half, but my body was not responding. I finally decided to stop the medication and go to a holistic doctor. It help, I am out of bed most of the day and finally gained weight. I went from 72 pounds to 100 and felt better, but in the last 2 months I put on an additional 7 pounds ALL in my belly.  Some weight went to my delapitated boobs, and my non exsistent butt and for that i am grateful, but my belly is huge, especially for someone who not even 5 feet tall. I am really struggling mentally with this type of weight gain. I know 107 pounds is a a joke to some people but i never weighted more then 100 in my whole life. As i said i am small 4ft 10inc tall, so this 6 months pregnant looking belly I have is crazy looking, totally not proportioned.
My last blood work in Feb right before I started seeing this holistic guy was at its highest. I went to my gyno in Feb because her blood work showed I was depleted of every other hormone needed to function but she would not touch me until my hyperthyroidism was better. She wanted it killed. Since menopause and graves have very similar symptoms I went back to her last month begging her to help with my other hormone difficency and she spent almost over an hours with me. I cried the whole time. I told her my brain fog is so bad that Literally in the middle of a convo I will forget what I was talking about in mid sentence, on cue, it happened, right in the mistbof our conversation. She finally gave me pergestrone but refused to give me estrogen. She demanded I see an Endo. I told her that the one I had was a jerk and she made me laugh saying, she has never met an Endo she liked. She said the ones she knows are all nasty...lol.. Anyway I kept my promise and went to an Endo in my neighborhood last wekk. HOLY COW!!! I have NEVER EVER been treated so badly in my life. First he had me wait for 2 hours I was the last patient and completly fine with that believing I was going to finally get better and when I finally got in to see him he said what's wrong with you?? I do not take your insurance!!! Wow!! He proceeded to go on and on about my sucky insurance pretty much said I was stupid for going to my holistic Doctor asking if I believed in miracles, being a Christian I resounded YES, I believe God makes miracles happen every day (not knowing where he was going with this) he replyed well I don't believe in god or miracles!!!! Didn't realize Bill Mahr was an Endo....he also said I was lying about how much Methomozole I was prescribed and the dose when it was upped...on and on and on..after all that .he said he would TRY to  help me by giving me a phone number to another doctor. Yeah, i need his help as much as I need more thyroid hormones....Wow do no harm doc, do no harm. I cried all night but i didn't give up, I went to another women this week and people, I hit the JACKPOT!! She was amazing. Sonograms on site, blood work on site, caring, compassionate, sweet, held my hand for the whole visit, explained I should NEVER have been on the amount of Metho, and for as long as I was on them. She said the dose hindered my progress, she said last blood work showed my numbers were still dangerously high and she feared a thyroid storm. I explained I felt severely bloated (which means fat, right ladies) especially when I drink water because my legs hands and feet look like something out of Lord of the Rings movie....I explained how the belly was not my normal bodies characteristic and how it came on me so fast.. She told me that since my graves went untreated, was treated incorrectly she believed the whole thing is out of whack in other words, some days I am pumping huge amounts of the thyroid hormones, and other days I may not be producing any at all. That made sense, and would explain the unexpected weight gain.
My legs and feet blow up like crazy if I drink as little as 16 ounces of water. She explained this was thyroid edema, this and all my symptoms will go away the second the graves is taking care of. Anything that doesn't go away will be addressed. The sono showed an ANGRY thyroid, huge in size with 2 different textures (still not sure what that means) She sat me and my daughter down and explained exactly what was going to happen within a certain time frame. What a relief, that was exactly what I needed. She also didn't make me feel stupid about spending so much money on my holistic doctor. She said, "for you I will believe 10% if this new blood work comes back better, I will admit I am wrong but there was nothing wrong with you trying alternative medicine" WOW!! I felll in love right there and then.
This is our new plan...
2 weeks on Metho
2) 10mil in morning  and at night
In 2 weeks cut the dose to
1) 10 mil in mornin and again at bedtime
2 weeks later
Cut Metho in half
Take half in morning half at bedtime.
Come back in July and see what the numbers look like.
If still high we are going for the radiation
If it went down we will try and get it into ramition  and take it from there.
I feel very confident with this Doc, she understand every worry I have and I believe I will eventually return to the women I was 3 years ago.
I feel for anyone with this disease but especially women. The weight gain, the unhealthy weight loss, hair loss etc... It's a nightmare and it has ruined my life for the past few years. I wish us all good health and I will keep ya posted on my progress. I pray it works, and if it does maybe someone on here will get better too.
Tee NYC

Has anyone found a way to loose weight when you've gained it in hyperthyroid (graves). Currently being treated and now gaining more weight. So unfair..... Gaining it both ways. Need some hope or I'll have diabetes with my weight issue. I am keeping food journal.
I am 21 and I also have hyperthyroidism... when I read your concerns regarding weight gain... I raised it to my doctor... ... my doctor said that... since you have Hyperthyroidism your metabolism is very fast together with it is that you tend to each much... by the time you are treated/ given meds... everything abnormal goes back to normal... including your metabolism but still you tend to eat a lot since you are used to it... by the time your metabolism is normal and you still eat a lot... thats the time you will gain weight!!! and most of the people blame it to their meds...  What you need to do is that... when you feel that your metabolism is slowly going back to normal... you also need to decrease your food intake and watch what you are eating and make sure you won't exceed to your daily caloric needs and lastly you need to exercise!!! Hope this info can help!!! :)
Another thing ... people with hyperthyroidism will experience either weight gain or weight loss... not all people with hyperthyroidism will really experience weight loss...
i had serious water retention (b4 i knew anything about my thyroid) to the point where they checked my heart out bcos docs didnt know what else couuld have caused it, all the things i am reading tonight about hyperthyroidism is now making so much sense as to why i been soooo tired, and fat (gained 34kg) and fluid retention and just so much.. i do have anxiety and depression but not quite sure thats got anything to do with it, but may be a contributing factor?
This is an old, long thread.  If you'd like to go to the top of the page, you can click the orange "Post a Question" button, start your own new thread, and we can address your individual concerns.

Please include current labs with reference ranges if you have them, tell us about your symptoms and give a brief meds history.
Read up on adrenal fatigue, yours seem like classic symptoms.  Find a doc that can give a saliva adrenal test to confirm (usually natropaths and/or chiropractors)
Hi TeeRoc - I read your story in this chain and I can relate to quite a bit of what you have gone through, including the HORRIBLE doctors in NYC.  I saw that you signed the post - TeeNYC.  I am hoping you can share the name of the doctor you found in the city, because I have gone through two in the past few years and I refuse to go back to either.  As a result, I am on no medication and my thyroid is still out of whack.  Hoping you can help.
Thanks!
-BizGirlNYC
i am 18 years old and i do have hyperthyrodisim i have all of the symptoms except the weight gain when should i expect it to kick in i am currently 106 pounds i am depressed and i sometimes feel it a lot i cant publicly speak but i think thats just my personality any suggestions please help
In 1978 at age 28, I was diagnosed with having Hyperthyroidism, Graves Disease and having a Goiter.  My symptoms of heavy sweating (especially at the back of the neck), hands trembling, hair loss, loss of muscle strength (especially in my legs), being hungry all the time (I couldn't get enough to eat), restless sleep, hallucinating (mainly at night), buggy eyes (some people thought I was on drugs), depression and weight gain (went from 90lbs to 130lbs in 8 weeks). The doctors thought I was just losing my mind so they sent me to see a Psychiatrist.  After 10 minutes of talking to the shrink and discussing family history the Psychiatrist sent me to the hospital to have blood work done to test my thyroid.  I was in such bad shape from suffering with hyperthyroidism for several years, that I was immediately hospitalized.  After I was released from the hospital they scheduled me to be treated with radioactive iodine.  It took me two treatments of the radioactive iodine before they got it right, but I am doing well and take my synthyroid once a day, I lost the weight within 2 months but not without seeing a nutritionist and cutting my calorie intake.  

The Nutritionist wanted me to weigh my food and watch my calories, but after a couple weeks of that hassle I went on my own.  I knew that small portions and eating more frequently was the answer.  I had stop eating when my hunger was satisfied, but to know when to stop meant I had to eat slowly (the average person eats to fast to realize when they are full).  I prepared small meals (meat, small potato, vegetable (pork, chicken and fish) and would eat slowly.  As soon as I noticed I wasn't hungry I would stop, wrap the leftovers up and put them in the frig for later.  In the beginning I found myself getting hungry again, a couple hours later, I would reheat my leftovers and eat again until my hunger was satisfied and stop.  It sometimes took me 3 times of reheating my dinner before I ate it all.  But, as I practiced this daily I notice I could go longer periods of time before I was hungry.  For breakfast I use to eat a bowl of healthy cereal; at lunch I would only have fruit and I avoided sweets all together.  If I had a sugar craving during the day, I grabbed an apple.  I did experience a little stomach discomfort in the beginning but it went away after about a week and I think that was my stomach adjusting to less food.

The family history questions revealed to the Psychiatrist that my mother had suffered from the exact same illness around age 30 and she also had weight gain and was sent to a Psychiatrist, but in my mothers case she had a nervous breakdown from not being diagnosed early enough.  Also the  Psychiatrist revealed to me that only 2% of people with hyperthyroidism will gain weight and that often throws the doctors off.

I hope this post helps someone.
i'm 45 3 weeks ago i was diognosed with hyper, i too crave sweets and carbs all day long, i'm not a sweet eater nor a big eater and i was consuming both like crazy, i'm waiting on my date for radioactive which like in a month in the meantime my doctor prescribed a blocker "atenolol for heart palpitation and methimazole" now i have to force myself to eat, i don't get hungry at all i do crave the sweets but i keep fresh sweet grapes in the house it refresh my stomach,and satisfy my taste glands. talk to your doctor about changing your meds and prepare fruit shakes use honey instead of sugar no milk a homemade smoothie pineapple is the best it helps eliminates excess water in your body. i hope this help. my biggest fear is gaining weight after radiactive treatment.  
Pam I have graves disease an as you expect hyperthyroidism. That is one issue that took me to the Endo about 12-15 years ago. I would tell Drs. that I hardly ate but could not lose weight. I will tell you that what you eat as a person with thyroid disease can really affect your weight. I know. I gained so much weight(100 t lbs.)and I was only about 130 and went to 239. I was miserable after a year of trying to get it off that I had gastric bypass(one of the worst mistakes of my life.) I am on methimanazole and have been for 8 years. My weight still swings(149--165) at my high point but for the most stays in the 150s range. A good endo who GETS IT, is critical for you if your lab results are true. My sisters a top nurses and I even have been to Johns Hopkins before I found a great endo in Williamsburg who diagnosed me and put me on my way to some stability. Now she does not take my insurance and after crying my tears over that, I went to 2 other endos who tried to take me off of what she put me on. They knew each other and it was a serious power play. If you have Graves, you also need to be on something like Atenolol since we often have problems with our heart (which I had horrible palpitations and chest pain). The right Dr can make the difference in life and death. I was so close to a thyroid storm that by the time I had been to so many others Drs and UNDIAGNOSED WHICH WAS CRAZY, I could of died as the good Endo said. I had been hospitalized and very very sick in intensive care. I hope you find the right person with those labs, it is critical.