Hyperthyroidism with hypo symptoms
My wife had been feeling fatigued, had hair loss, had swings in her body temperature (either extremely hot or extremely cold, and an increase in weight. She had blood work done and was told that the results showed she had hyperthyroidism. An x-ray and ultrasound were also done and showed that she only had a half of a thyroid. A "hot" nodule was also found on the half of the thyroid.

One physician told her she could have the thyroid removed and would be on medication the rest of her life. My wife didn't think that was a good idea, so she did nothing for the past six years. She more recently had felt as though her heart had been working harder and felt compelled to do something about it. She then went to the emergency room and was told that she had a low potassium level for which she was given medication.

She then made an appointment with an endocrinologist about her thyroid, who referred her to a radioactive medicine specialist. The specialist suggested "zapping" the half of the thyroid and then try to adjust the thyroid with medication, to which my wife agreed to do. My wife has complained about pain in her hands and arms similar to arthritis. She said the pain seems get worse from one day to the next.

I don't know if this makes any sense or not, just trying to state the facts as best I can and hope there's an answer to this.  

The pain in my hands was due to severe vitamin D deficiency.  The pain/pressure of my neck and hips was due to hypothyroidism.
Has she had the RAI yet?

Once she has it, she will become permanently hypo and have to be on replacement thyroid hormones, as many of us are.

Do you know if she has either Graves Disease or Hashimoto's Thyroiditis?  

Arthritis type pain can be due many things; a lot of us have it when we are hypo and some of us truly have arthritis.

Has she had any recent thyroid blood work done?  She should have Free T3, Free T4 and TSH.  If you have a copy of the report, please post the results here, so we can better assess the situation.  Be sure to include reference ranges, as those vary lab to lab and have to come from her own report.