Hypo? Weight gain, edema, and ab bloating
I am a 36 y.o. female with a medical mystery. I am thinking the issue may be hypo or endocrine related.  On Jan 21st I was 136 pounds. That same saturday I was in the ER at 177 pounds with severe abdominal bloating and constipation.  I was told I had heavy colonic load in my large colon given Miralax and sent on my way.  One week later I was in the ER again at 180 pounds, soft tissue pitted edema on the right leg and calf, and still no bowel movement and ab swelling.  I was given Mag. Citrate and referred to a GI.  I've been tested for Celiac and came out fine.  I've had an endoscope, upper gi with SBF, bowel transit, gastric empyting which all came out fine.  I had a colonscopy and they found a polyp (hyperplastic) in my large colon.  After all of this, I was told I have IBS-C and given Amitiza and sent on my way.  I have educated myself on IBS-C and I do not have any of the symptoms/signs other than the constipation.  I was in the hospital again on Friday.  I looked 7 months pregnant, severe soft tissue pitted edema in my right leg.  my stomach was hot and very tender, my hands and feet were ice cold.  My bp was 104/64, body temp 98.2, pulse 64.  They did a doppler and found no DVT, did my blood work and said it was fine.  Had a cat scan and all is well.  Dr. suggested that going the metabolic/ednocrine route may be the way to go.  I had my thyroid tested in the early part of February and my Dr. said it was ok.  Over the past 3 months I have been testing Iron Deficient Anemic with a normal retic.  My Dr. is baffled by this.  In addition, I stopped having my period in July.  I was told by the OB/GYN that my estodial levels were at menopausal levels but I was not menapausal.  She did progestrone withdrawl at 5 mg two times with failure.  She gave me femcon FE and told me to take them to induce my period.   I chose not to go that route.  I started getting my period again in January.  They are not heavy at all and last 3 days.  I get tired very quickly and must take a nap when I get home to reenergize.  My hands and feet are constantly cold, I have loss of appetite, and today I weight 196 pounds.  I have gained over 50 pounds in 4 months.  Most of the weight appears to be in the thighs and abdominal area, I am also very irritable and depressed.  Could this be Thyroid/endocrine related.  I am a very health conscious person.  I follow at strict 1400-1600 cal diet with the proportions of 40% pro/30% good carbsand fibrous carbs/30%fat.  I run 2-5 miles 6 days a week, and lift 6 days a week.  I manage to lose 10 pounds then I gain 17-20 in a weeks time.  I am very frustrated and in great despair.  Please help or provide direction.

i dont know the answer to your question but a lot of what you say sound thyroid related you can have symptoms quite a white before the blood test show up maybe your dr could run more tests for this sorry not much help but hope you start to feel better soon
They have checked for liver disease?  Ovaries?  I would get these checked out thoroughly.

Sounds a lot like my symptoms when I had Graves', except for the horrible adema in the legs.  I was a nontypical Graves' patient.  My stomach got huge, I gained 40 lbs in a matter of a few months.  But my legs went from very muscled and large for a woman's to unbelievably skinny at that same time.
Did you see "House" last night? There was a little 10 year old girl and she was very obese. It turned out she had a tumor up in her sinus area that had to do with her metabolism. They removed the tumor and the weight came off. I think she had Cushing's.
I switched to a new Dr.  as a matter of fact, an internist that has an Endocrinologist on staff.  What I have come to figure out yesterday is that I have been in the hospital 4 times now and each of them coincide with my menstrual cycle.  I started getting my period in January again.  and I have been in the hospital within days of getting my period.  I was in the hospital friday and had my cycle on saturday and gone on monday. In addition, I have dropped 16 pounds since friday.....A medical mystery!  Thanks for the reply and I will check into those.
I am looking at Cushing's syndrome as well.  I took a pic of myself on saturday and compared it to a cushing's patient and it looks similiar---thinning arms, puffy face.  I switched to a new Dr.  as a matter of fact, an internist that has an Endocrinologist on staff.  What I have come to figure out yesterday is that I have been in the hospital 4 times now and each of them coincide with my menstrual cycle.  I started getting my period in January again.  and I have been in the hospital within days of getting my period.  I was in the hospital friday and had my cycle on saturday and gone on monday. In addition, I have dropped 16 pounds since friday.....A medical mystery!  Thanks for the reply and I will check into those.
Have they checked you for endometriosis?  Would for sure have that looked into since it coincides with your periods.  Endometriosis can be absolutely horrible and often over looked for ages.
I saw the Internist and she said I present with all the signs of thyroid or defininetly some type of metabolic issue.  She is running a full thyroid panel including t3, t4, and complete etc.  I saw the Gyn today as well.  He is looking at PCOS and gave me a prilimary dx of oligomenorrhea.  He is running an Amenorrhea II profile including fasting insulin and glucose.  I am so excited and glad I found two wonderful doctors.
I have exactly the same issues doctors can't find why I get swelling inside my tommy all sorts of test I did but still it's mystery but am having my period regularly basis but still am gaining weight and my tommy looks like am 7 months preggo it's so painful when I have edema in my tommy am so much tired of my life now am just 32years old
I have nearly the very same symptoms-were they able to figure out the mystery? Was there anything that proved successful in treating it? I am getting ready for surgery-they are going to look for endometriosis as a possible cause. I've been through a million doctors and tests and am truly exasperated. Anyway, I really hope you've been able to find relief and the answer to your illness.
This is a very old thread and chopperchickie has not been active on the forum for over 6 yrs.

Have you had any thyroid testing done to rule that out?