Thyroid Disorders Community
Hypo thyroid symptoms persist; lab shows normal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I have taken Levothyroxine, generic for Synthroid, for 30 years now.   My recent lab tests show as always that my strength of med is correct.  I've read that sometimes the t3 needs more attention which the Lev. alone doesn't always do.  I have had dry skin, hair, fatigue, low mood, constipation for years; just dealt with it.   Now thinning hair, a lot more.....
I could harass my dr. to discuss Armour or Cytomel with me but I have mentioned these symptoms and it's just my age or use lotion, etc.  I'd like to improve my health but where to go?
I doubt that my gyn. will deal w this.  I have a psychiatrist that I see twice a year bc I had 3 depressions and now take low doses of an antidepressant (have taken for years the same dose); I wondered if some psychiatrists will prescribe a low dose of Cytomel or Armour (the latter to replace the Lev.) bc I've read that these can help with my complaints.  I understand further blood tests are necessary.
I hate to get into going to an endocronologist for more tests and expense and travel distance.

So.... do any psychiatrists deal w thyroid conditions?  Thank you!

psychiatrists should know about the benefit of treating depressions with T3.  They are also fully trained MDs who have just specialised in psychiatry and they can and should order any relevant tests.

Surely you can ask your psychiatrist to test FT3 and FT4 to see where your levels are.

Both should be at least mid-range.  If your FT3 is low then definitely you would benefit from adding in a T3 medication.

Thanks!  I don't know if the psyc. will order lab tests; he just appears in his office a few times a month (from the city) and doesn't hang around more than 15 minutes; he's never ordered any med tests and we don't go further in discussion than about meds for depression.  (In the old days of 45 minute sessions, the pdocs had plenty of time and worked w the patients a lot more.)  However, I do see him before I see my gyn.....

If he doesn't show any desire to order tests, I'll try my gyn.  I really don't want to go to my gp and insist that he order some free t3 and t4 tests that I have to get the code for and then see if he is up on the Armour, Cytomel, etc., that I may need....... after all, I have mentioned several times to him about hypothyroid symptoms (despite being on Levothyroxine) and he's never suggested any further testing and I was ignorant on the subject.

At least I know now that I'd like the t3 and t4 (free) done!

However, I may be underestimating my psychiatrist; he does understand the need for me to take estrogen supplements (although he doesn't prescribe them, my gyn. does) and he might just go ahead with ordering the lab tests done at the hospital in the town where I see him.

So thanks!  (I guess I didn't realize that these drs. would even be interested in thyroid disorders!)