Thyroid Disorders Community
Hypothyroid - foods to AVOID
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Hypothyroid - foods to AVOID

Hello.

I've read that people with hypo should avoid all cruciferous veggies (broccoli, cabbage, spinach, brussel sprouts, cauliflower etc.) because they are goitergenic (sp?). I've also read that Soy should be avoided completely.

I am a vegan, therefore veggies play a pretty big part of my daily diet. I don't eat a moderate amount of soy. Maybe a small piece of tempeh or tofu approx. 3 times a week.

What's the worst that can happen if I don't stop eating both cruciferous veggies and soy? There seems to be sooooo much conflicting info that it's making my head spin.

Thanks.
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I believe the recommendation is not to eat cruciferous veggies raw...once they're cooked they're okay?

My personal opinion is that you can eat whatever doesn't cause you discomfort.  There are people who give up nothing (myself included) and have no problems because of it.  If a food or food group does not agree with you, then it is obviously best avoided.  However, until there is a demonstrated need to curtail anything, enjoy.

Soy is basically cattle feed and indigestible unless fermented (tempeh, soy sauce, etc., but not tofu).  However, once again, if you like it and it causes you no distress, then continue...as I vegan you need to keep as many options open as you can.
Blank
773755_tn?1328123377
and just tend to steer clear of 'textured vegetable protein' [tvp] (which is really textured soy protein), it really defeats the purpose of choosing soy over wheat/ meat - the manufacturing process is dodgy... maybe a bit is alright... but it's largely a bad deal.
i switched to coconut milk, and i eat a lot of polenta, potato, rice, beans, chickpeas. i have occasional soy sauce cause there's just some things i won't miss out on anymore!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...