Thyroid Disorders Community
Hypothyroid & Progressive Joint Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hypothyroid & Progressive Joint Pain

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in March 2006.  I started out on Synthroid, but I had so many side effects that my doctor switched me to Armor Thyroid.  While some of the Synthroid side effects subsided (my hair started growing back and the pitting edema in my legs became tolerable) the joint pain has increased substantially.  I have had surgery on both of my wrists; the first surgery was in 1996, so I don't know if it was thyroid related.  The second wrist surgery was in July 2006 and I have found little to no relief.  My knees have been hurting for over a year now and this past weekend my hip started hurting out of the blue.  It is now getting difficult to walk without grimacing and everyone at work is asking about it.  I just tell them that my thyroid is acting up and try to make lite of it.  To make matters worse, I am now receiving test results reflecting a "hyperthyroid" condition.  This has been the result of my past 2 blood tests.  I am in pendulum mode I guess.  This seems very odd because I have gained 15 pounds since my diagnosis and I cannot get rid of it.  
Will this eventually subside?  The joint pain, the weight gain, the pendulum thyroid?  I have asked my doctor and my endochrinologist.  Both of them tell me that once I get stabilized, things should get better, at least.  Okay... So how long does it normally take to get stabilized?  I am about to have my third anniversary with this disease and I was just wandering if it usually takes this long to get things right.
Any advice?
Are they adjusting the Armour by TSH or by Free T4 and Free T3?  If adjusted by TSH, you will be underdosed. Armour should be adjusted by FT4 and FT3. The goal is a midrange free t4 and a high in range free t3.  I had problems with my knees also. Armour helped some, but I needed more. I started taking Osteo Bifle about 6 years ago and it has made a huge difference. I'm back to walking 15 miles a week.