Thyroid Disorders Community
Hypothyroid,Tinnitus and Meniere's Disease Related

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

It's exactly one year since i had vertigo which is very commonly known here in Japan as a symptom of Meniere's w/ tinnitus and  hearing difficulty. Had several  outpatient i.v. for nausea relief for on and off attacks until i had to be confined for 3 days each time.Hopeless and depressed, gone to Phil for 2nd opinion, and indeed after labs showed low thyroid hormones. Been on Thyradine for almost 4 yrs but Phil doc said i have been given very low dose(75mcg)the reason i have such ear problems.He raised it to 100 and ear problem esp vertigo stopped though tinnitus is constant sound but bearable.But now back to 75 when i had routine check back to Japan for my tests showed almost on the edge of normal meaning going to hyper.Now tinnitus getting worse and afraid of vertigo to attack.Aside from the permanent sound w/c is unnoticeable, another dominant and louder one came depriving me of sleep and peace.Been avoiding salt,caffeine etc.though i can't deny had eaten uncontrollably after i thought i am getting"well" coz i lost pounds and awfully thin so i was making up. Do you think it caused the recurrence? I learned fr one comment here that more sugar intake triggers like salt?(hyperinsulinemia?) I have my appointment w/ my endo come 6/4 will know the blood results.I've been researching and knew a lot from this forum that tinnitus and Meniere has something to do with thyroid problems, but my Jap endo denied it. This time i'll insist it coz of the comments shared here.This Medhelp is really a big HELP. Thanks.  
Do you have your test results (and the reference ranges)?   I'm wondering why you went back onto 100mcg and what is actually the cause of your low thyroid hormones.   (Hopefully someone else will chime in and tell you the additional tests you need apart from the TSH, FT4 and FT3 - I know my other tests were normal so I didn't look much further).

Also, one of the symptoms of hypo is the tinnitus.  I have a damaged ear drum and constanly 'hear' my heartbeat, and have learned to live with it.   My mother had vertigo and you have my sympathy as I realise how crippling it can be!!  Good luck with getting your results (get a copy of them!!)
hi
i;m  hypo since last july [think years really]i have meniere's since i was 12 yrs old [a horror to have] but i haven't had an episode of it for about 22 yrs i am 46,i have a daughter with lupus and another with hasimotos thyroid both dx in their teens, my dad had menieres  too