Thyroid Disorders Community
Hypothyroid and ADD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hypothyroid and ADD

My son has been diagnoses as hypothyroid and has been on medication for about 6 weeks.  His thyroid levels have stabilized however it has done nothing to improve the outward problems we have been noticing.  He is extrememly distracted, loses concentration, can't focus etc etc.  To get his attention when talking to him you have repeat his name over and over until he finally he gets it.  His pediatrician feels pretty certain he also has ADD and wants to put him on Vyvanse and see how he reacts to that.  I am just sick.  I have such strong feelings against medicating children and here I am about to do this to him.  In doing my online research I came across something called absence seizures.  Does anyone know if hypothyroidism and this can be related and what are the chances he has both thyroid disease and ADD.  He himself crys to me all the time that he can't remember things.  I am worried. Please help.
Although I am an adult, I am hypothyroid and I take Adderall (adderrall) for ADD.  It it very  helpful to me.    I know that when I don't take the Adderall (adderrall), I have a very hard time focusing, completing tasks, memory problems.  I don't think I have heard of seizure problems with hypothyroidism.  In my  opinion, it is worth a try to help him.  It sounds like he is very unhappy as he is and he shouldn't have to go through childhood that way.  There are many, many children leading better lives through medication.  If it doesn't work, try something else or look for another reason.  Has he had any brain scans, MRI, etc.?  I would not stop at the thyroid and ADD until I was satisfied that there are no underlying conditions that have gone undiagnosed.  Good luck and God Bless.
I am 17, and I was born without a thyroid. I've always had trouble with exhaustion and my weight. I'm overweight, and as much as I have complained to my doctor about my exhaustion they still say my levels are fine, so they have never increased them. I have had trouble in the past few years with staying on task and really having any motivation to do my schoolwork and pass my classes. Would it benefit me to go to my doctor and ask to be put on a drug like Adderall (adderrall)? A friend of mine was recently prescribed Vyvanse, and he has lost weight as well as doing well in school? There is a history of ADD in my family(my father and my brother both have it). I've gone on diets before, even been completely serious about them with exercise and better eating habits, but nothing has seemed to work for me. Would my doctor prescribe me Vyvanse or adderall (adderrall) to help with my weight loss, exhaustion, occasional memory loss, and motivation? I've been prescribed Prozac for depression but it never worked, and I've heard/researched Vyvanse and Adderall (adderrall).
With history of ADD in your family, you are a good candidate for medication.  I would go to a psychiatrist and explain.  They are the one's who will evaluate you and prescribe medication.  It is a controlled substance and after he prescribes it for you then your MD can continue, but I believe you have to be under a psychiatrists care before you can go back to your MD for the continued prescription. I would also go back and get current labs for your thyroid as the symptoms you describe can be caused by hypothyroidism, too.  Then take the lab results to the psych.
Hi, I'm 21 years old and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 17. My thyroid levels are now stable, but I recently was diagnosed with ADHD as I was beginning nursing school. I take vyvanse in the morning and it has greatly helped with attention deficit and keeping my weight stable. I actually enjoy school and have more energy than ever. Even though my thyroid has been stable, I would struggle with weight and being sluggish in the past . My only warning is that your doctor should closely monitor/adjust your dosage, as some people have heart issues.