Thyroid Disorders Community
Hypothyroid and Acid Reflux

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hypothyroid and Acid Reflux

Dear Medical Community:

Can Acid Reflux be a symptom of Hypothyroidism?  It runs in my family and I'm about the age my sister was when she contracted this condition.

Thank you
hsum4
Hypothyroidism can be hereditary.  Although acid reflux can be caused by many things, I know personally that it resulted from a bout of hypo t I recently went through.  As another indicator, you might check your basal temperature (in the armpit, before getting out of bed).  Temperature below 97.6 is another indicator of potential hypothyroidism.  

The best way to be sure of  hypo t or not is to get your doctor to check thyroid levels.  the most important test is free T3 , then free T4.  No doubt your doctor will also check TSH, but if you do turn out to be hypo t it is best to regulate your meds by the frees and by your symptoms, not by TSH.
Many medications can cause acid reflux, at the point where your esophagus meets your stomach is a valve or spichtner valve, this valve allows food and liquid to enter your stomach, but is not supposed to allow any acids to back up into the esophagus, Certain medications (Blood Pressure and others) relax this muscle and it stays open, when the acid rises back up into the esophagus it burns or irritates the lining of the esophagus causing chest pains that are often mistaken for heart problems. I was taking Metoprolol for high blood pressure (It is meant to reduce the heart rate) and one day I had to go to the ER because I thought I was having a heart attack, now I am on Diovan, but still have it now and then but not as serious. Good Luck FTB4
Thank you both for the important information.  I couldn't have received this information from my Internal Doctor who is only part-time at the clinic I go to.

I'll have the Gastroenterologist look into the valve where the esophagus meets my stomach.  The oil I was taking may have caused it to stay open.

I will also look into the Free T3 & Free T4 tests if I'm diagnosed with Hypothyroidism

Thank you
hsum4
This is a huge issue for many hypo's - It;s the body's slowing and causing the LITTLE acid you have to be stagnent.

Seach acid reflus and hypothyroid here on Med Help. There have been many archived conversations about this issue and you can get help with it.

Look up PH balances too.
Dear stella5349:

Thank you for the information.  I will search those areas of Medhelp.

hsum4