Hypothyroid and Clotting
I was just recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism,Dec18th 2007, while in the hospitall for atril fibulation. I had to receive an electric shock to get my heart back in sync and was put on coumidin for period of 6 weeks to thin my blood because of this procedure. My blood is not thinning enough for proper "therapeutic purposes". I was also put on Levothyroxin for my hypothyroidism and the question I have is could the thyroid medicine be interfering with the thinning of the blood?
I just did a search for "coagulation hypothyroid" and saw one article saying that being hypo caused hypocoagulation and then ther was another reference stating that it can hause hypercoagulation and heart issues.

Try a search and look at reputable sites. Maybe somone else will come along and have some experience with your situation.

Good luck
Hi, this caught my eye, as I do have a heart condition (Mitral/Arotic Valve replacement) and I also have had my thyroid removed and I am taking synthroid 0.2mg daily for 26 yrs and coumadin 9mg daily for 9 yrs

Yes coumadin does counter-react with synthoid
A good knowledgeable Pharm should tell you this, and your Pharm should of caught this and explained this to you

My Dr. has to keep me adjusted for my coumadin dose per my thynthroid dose, meaning if my synthoid changes, we have to change my coumadin dose to keep me on a therapeuatic level

While you are on coumadin, I would highly sugest you get some more info on the med because there are so many things that will affect your therapeuatic level if you are not familar with them, ie; vitamin k foods, over counter/other meds, teas, so much, your Phram should be able to help you with this also.

I hope I haven't confused you and I hope this has helped you understand the 2 meds a bit more