Hypothyroid and Methotrexate Problem
I was on oral Methotrexate for SLE, my synthroid dose was at 175 then lowered to 150 just prior to the Methotrexate. over 6 months has went by and DR did not check TSH after lowing dose or while I was taking the Metho, now my TSH is at 67.9. Needless to say I am not feeling very well. Can the Methotrexate alter my thyroid levels? I am off Methrotrexate now and  only taking 5 mg of Predisone and 175 synthroid?
Steriods can have an affect on your thyroid levels. I would ask for another lab check, because if you are still at a 67.9 tsh, then you are going to need more meds. Next question, what is your Free T4 level?? The free T4 and Free T3 levels are your actual thyroid hormone levels. TSH is a pituitary function test and cannot be used alone to treat your thyroid.
Hi Laura, can you help me with this please? What does it mean if your thryroid panel all appears 'normal' but TPO antibodies are 200? I suffer from hair loss, eyebrow loss, eyelash loss, major depression, anxiety, IBS, diagnosed Fibromyalga (negative ANA by Rhuematologist). I cant work, I just feel terrible most of the time. Dr's say its not my thyroid as TSH is 0.8 and normal but why do I have raised antibodies?? What other tests would you suggest I have to try and find out what on earth is wrong with me. This has been going on for 23 years and progessively getting worse. Thank you so much for any insights, I would be very grateful.
Dee
Thank you for answering, I did ask for another lab work up because he did not do the free T4 and T3 which concerned me. I am starting to think he is "dense"  I go to my endo next week so I was trying to have all the information together that she will need to get this under control again and find out what went wrong. I was wondering if Methotrexate could have an adverse effect on dosage as well as the predisone? I can not seem to find any studies or information on it..
Best
Lmarie3