Thyroid Disorders Community
Hypothyroid and itchy skin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hypothyroid and itchy skin

I have hypothyroidism and have been told by an allergist that my skin itching is due to the thryroid.  I wake up almost every morning with my skin itchy and red and can't see to control it.  Was on steriod and nothing took it away, saw an allergist and still nothing.  Really need to find out if there is someone else out there who has this same problem.  HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have heard of people having a terrible skin itching problem when they are hypo and their levels are off quite a bit.
Yes, I have been going through the same thing on and off for two years now, although since my synthroid was increased last Sept. it seems to occur more since the increase in addition to other symptoms, all of my levels are in range except the Free T3 is at the bottom of the range, I have tried different lotions and they only help a little, What I found works best for me is the 25 Mg Benadryl Allergy tablets, during the day I break one in half and it helps for about 7 hours, at night I will take a whole tab, they are antihistamines so they may make you a little drowsy at first. I just tried a cream two days ago called Dermarest for Eczema, it seems to help better than others I have tried. With me it will hit me on the sides of the ribs and shins, and also the scalp sometimes, for the scalp I found that the Selsun Blue shampo used twice a week helps with that area. I hope this info helps you, I know what you are going through. Good Luck FTB4
For the last 12 months I have suffered with bad hives (not so bad now though) and the first attack they were size of dinner plates which caused anaphalaxix.
After allergy tests etc and nothing found , as each 'attack' occurred it was found my levels were out of range.
Mainly my TSH had gone higher and I had gone a fraction hypo.
With hypo I get anxiety......I was on courses of pernisolone (one dose lasting 33 days ).
To cut a long story short, I was then tested for Autoimmune Idiopathic Urticaria and found to be positive.
So each time my TSH goes up higher than it should, the hives return but I now have them under control with Telfast 60mg every night.

It was found that when my body temperature dropped , the hives would be there the next morning.
Stress and anxiety also brought them on.
I havent had a bad attack since April now but I put mine down to anxiety , stress and levels not quite right.
Dealing with 2 family deaths hasnt helped my stress levels and this is when the hives first started ...when my Father died.
The antihistamine I take is non drowsy and at the first sign of hives I will take 60mg (lowest dose) in the morning and at night until gone and this has worked well for me.

I suggest you start taking an antihistamine and get yr labs done.
Good Luck :o)
A change in medication or dosages can lead to these along with the strong idea that the body is stressed also.

I've never seen any cure for it and Benedryl seems to be helpful and the only choice available.

I think its a reaction the body has when a host - or one thing -  is upsetted in the whole cycle and when it resolves the hives should leave.