Thyroid Disorders Community
Hypothyroid and losing eyelashes?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hypothyroid and losing eyelashes?

For years, my hair has been thinning... not to the extent of having bald spots or anything, but it is about 1/2 as thick as it was 4-5 years ago. My doctors were monitoring my thyroid levels due to prior hypothyroid diagnosis and nodules that were discovered about 15 years (hypo) and 5 years (nodules) ago.

Over the summer, I broke out in hives for no reason. Testing showed that I did not have autoimmune thyroiditis, but I was "clinically" hypo and I began taking 25mcg of levothyroxine. While I was being tested (after the hives cleared up), I noticed my eyes were particularly itchy. I'd rub them. Then it dawned on me that my eyelid/eyelash follicles were itching. My lashes are so thin now...

The itching definitely slowed down when I started the medication. However, in the last week (been taking Levothyroxine for about 2 1/4 months), I've noticed my eyes itching again, and that aching and exhaustion are creeping back in :(

Has anyone else had this experience? I will be calling my doctor for a follow up, but in the meantime I'd love to hear other people's experiences.
Well, I only know of one other person beside myself, and now you who has thinning eyelashes with Hypo. It is actually one of my tell-tale symptoms and a good gauge of how my thyroid is doing. My outer eyleshes especially go, I lose the outer edge when too hypo and they fill back in when all is well.
I have never had hives, but my mother suffers from them as she has untreated hypothyroidism (she goes along with her Dr. who tells her she's in range) But I have looked into it and some suffer from that as well. Obviously it doesn't mean something else isn't at play but I would say both are a decent bet. Do you know what your levels are right now?
"HAIR

Since hair and skin are some of our fastest growing tissues, we often notice slowing metabolism in these areas first. Hypothyroidism leads to hair that is dry, brittle, and dull. It also becomes straighter, finer, and thinner and may even turn gray prematurely. Thin, uneven, patchy gray hair isn’t the look we’re after as we head into our forties or fifties! Another sign of low thyroid function, discovered over a century ago, is the loss of the outer third of the eyebrows. Body hair and eyelashes also often disappear."

- excerpt from The Women's Guide to Thyroid Health: Understanding Symptoms of Hypothyroidism By Kathryn R. Simpson, MS
Thanks for the replies. Prior to starting the levothyroxine, my level was a 5.3, so, I guess that is mildly hypo... However combined with symptoms and the nodules, dr wanted treat me.

My lashes are falling out across my lid...not just the edges.Bummer... They were uber blonde to start with, but ast least I had something worth putting mascara on. :/