Thyroid Disorders Community
Hypothyroid and tinnitus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hypothyroid and tinnitus

Hi folks,
So glad to see I'm not alone, and don't have some rare problem no one else experiences!  I too have had ringing in the ears for over 5 years.  It's constant, but not alarmingly loud.  I've lost my high end hearing, and my left ear is worse than my right.  I was also diagnosed with hypothyroid (around 5+) about a year and a half ago.  My intuition is strongly telling me that the two are related.  I went to an ENT, and she took blood, did an MRI, various hearing tests.  MRI was clear with the exception of something called an arachnoid cyst, which the ENT told me was benign and nothing to worry about.  (Hope I can trust that!)  My regular doc put me on 50 mg of levothyroxine, and I have to tell you it did not seem to make anything better at all.  I've been having achy joints, ALWAYS feel fatigued (more tired when I get up than when I go to bed), no energy, difficulty making decisions and focusing, depressive, and moody.  I know these are symptoms of the disease.  What's interesting about the ear part is that my ENT told me the blood work indicated I had a rare disease - Autoimmune Ear Disease (same as Rush Limbaugh had) that would result in rapid progressive hearing loss.  Well, that was 4 years ago, and the hearing loss hasn't gotten much worse, so I'm 90% sure it's not Autoimmune Ear Disease.  It feels like something musculoskelatal, because my jaw and ear on the left are right up against each other, but not that way on my right side.  I used to clench my jaws a lot at night, and was told I also have TMJ (don't believe that either because I don't have the associated pain).  Just yesterday I received 2 books from Prevention Magazine, one called "The Thyroid Solution", and the other is "The Thyroid Diet".  I read the entire "Thyroid Diet" book yesterday, and although it mentioned nothing at all about tinnitus, I walked away from it thinking I may have some problems with my adrenal glands.  It also became very apparent that the disease is difficult to work with, and told me that diet and exercise are CRITICAL to thyroid patients.  Folks, we aren't going to lose weight quickly (they said 1 lb per week should be considered GREAT), we will continually have to exercise at least 30 min. per day, at a moderate pace, with aerobics and weight bearing included.  I've been doing yoga for 1 hour 3 mornings per week, and found it to be of great help in creating better energy and awareness.  I follow a DVD by Barbara Benaugh called Yoga for Beginners.  It's easy to follow and has many options for different body areas and for relaxation and stress relief.  Folks, another thing we are to avoid at all costs is STRESS.  (How the heck can we avoid that?)  Yoga and meditation are suggested as well as other alternative therapies.  I'd highly highly recommend "The Thyroid Diet" for all of you.  It's by Mary J. Shomon.  I haven't read the other book yet, so don't know how valuable it is.  ALSO - if any of you smoke, stop.  I do, and I'm trying to quit because I've heard it complicates not only the hypothyroid, but also the tinnitus.  Just made an appt. today with a good endocrinologist that is listed on Mary Shomon (the author)'s site.  She has a list called "Top Thyroid Doctors", and it covers everywhere - internationally.  This doc happens to take my insurance, and has good reviews.  I'll post here when I learn something more.  GOOD LUCK AND PRAYERS TO EVERYONE!  

This discussion is related to Low Thyroid and Tinnitus?.
Hello, what valuable info. Thanks for sharing! I am going to order "The Thyroid Diet" right now! I have also found that Tai-Chi helps. I have always been into exercise, but I had to cut back dramatically since becoming ill. I am just now getting into a pilates/walking routine, and I plan on reinstating my gym membership next week.

I, too, have ear issues: pressure, pain, congestion and sometimes bleeding from the left ear. My doc says they look fine, but I will ask to be referred to an ENT. It is better since Synthroid, but not 100 percent.

Thanks and welcome to our forum!

:) Tamra
I have similar few days "on" and "off" tinnitus issues.  I've been on thyroid medicine for two months so far.  The results are not clear yet.  
I have learned a lot since my last post. When my fT3 levels are too high, I get the ear ringing.  I was getting it back then because I'm a Hashi and my nodules were leaking hormone, causing me to go hyperthyriod. Then, when I took too much Cytomel, my FT3 spiked and the ear ringing came back.

Ear ringing is commonly associated with Graves, but Hashis get it too when we swing.

:) Tamra
Hey guys,
I have a very similar problem but have not yet taken blood tests for thyroidism to find out whether I suffer hypothyroidism or not. My syymptoms include tinnitus and foggy brain. It all started almost a year ago when I was in England. First, my ears started to ring and it was constant. At that time I had no idea about what tinnitus was. After a week I started to suffer from serious problems with cognitive abilties and memory. Few weeks before the problems arising I suffered very serious depression because of some problems in my private life. I guess tremendous depression also took its toll on my health. ENT told me I have no problem with my ears and MRI results were also perfectly clear. A month ago my blood test results revealed mild ALT enzyme elevation in my blood. Now that I am stressless and try to have rest and so on I feel some improvement but I don't feel as healthy as before because I still have this ringing in my ears and haven't solved the problem with my cognitive and memory decline.