Thyroid Disorders Community
Hypothyroid medicine causing high blood pressure
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Hypothyroid medicine causing high blood pressure

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism a year ago and was given Levothyroxin (levothyroxine) 25 mgs. I reduced the dosage to half a pill every other day and still had left arm pains and my blood pressure went way up. They gave me blood pressure medicine and I ended up being spacey and dizzy and had problems and ended up in the emergency ward where they lowered my blood pressure. I asked the nurse on duty what the side effects were of thyroid medication and she said one of them was Hypertension, so I went off the medication at that time.. all of it. My blood pressure returned to 120 over 80 something. I started taking Kelp suppliments and working out at the gym. I was tested a couple of months ago and the thyroid was only .5 under but had an ultrasound and they found it was enlarged with no tumors so put me on 15 mgs of Armour thyroid. I was up in the night from 1 to 4:30a.m. with blood pressure up to 178 from 120 and anxiety. I am off the medication and am taking kelp and doing yoga and exercises at the gym every day except weekends. They want to see me back in another month or so and if it is still low she will refer me to an endocrinologist. Could this problem with blood pressure elevating when on medication be anything other than an adverse reaction to the medication? I am allergic to soy..break out in a rash and Ciproflaxin..I faint, I'm very sensitive to any medication. Do you have any suggestions??