Thyroid Disorders Community
Hypothyroid symptoms, low t4 free, normal TSH and T3 free

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum so please bare with me if this question has been asked before. Since I had my son, about 2.5 years ago (2nd child), I have the following symptoms (which have been in overdrive for the last 6-8 months):

- weight gain- Ive gained 10 lbs over the last couple of months (after running 25 miles per week and dieting) I have always been thin and usually could lose weight just thinking about it

- extreme fatigue - so hard to get out of bed in the am but I thought it was because I had a hard time falling asleep and staying asleep

- dry skin

- swelling- face and hands, water retention and bloating in belly

- foggy and memory loss. I couldn't remember parts of conversation that I had just the night before and just felt like I was on a cloud throughout the day

- anxiety because of all of the symptoms

- very low libido

I'm sure there is more that I just can't remember right now :/

I've been to a GI Dr. for my chronic constipation, weight gain despite exercise and diet, and water retention and bloating - NOTHING

I was diagnosed with PCOS about 3.5 years ago while having difficulty trying to conceive my son. It took 2 IUI's before we became pregnant.

I went to ENT for dizziness and foggy feeling thinking it was related to sinus issues. NOTHING

My primary sent me for an ultrasound of my gall bladder (because of the GI issues) and said to have them look at my thyroid too because he felt it looked larger than usual. Gall bladder was fine but the found 2 complex cysts. Followed w/ u/s 3 months later and the one shrunk and the other grew so I had a biopsy 2 days ago. Waiting for those results.

I am just seeking treatment now because I am a nursing student and thought that my symptoms were due to stress but they have worsened and the weight gain is very rapid and unexplainable.

Anyway, after they found the cysts I scheduled with the first endo I could find. He took the blood work results from my primary and said my tsh and t3 levels were normal. I demanded (nicely) that he run them again (3 months later) and include the t4free, t3 free and tsh. these were the results (including glucose and isulin to ck for insulin resistance with the weight gain and PCOS:

TSH - 1.25
T4 free  1.0
T3 free  3.1

fasting glucose 94
insulin < 2
c - peptide  0.94

Now I am waiting for my biopsy results to go in and discuss all of my symptoms and lab results with him. In the meantime I called and asked for a lab slip to check my cortisol levels and for the thyroid antibodies. I read that a normal tsh and low t4 could indicate a pituitary issue.

So my questions are, am I requesting the correct tests and is there any thing else I should request?

If he is willing to do so, do you think I could benefit from hypo meds?

I absolutely hate taking any medication at all. I fractured my femur a few years ago and couldn't stand to take the pain meds because of how they made me feel.

But my current symptoms are almost debilitating some days and I have developed such anxiety in trying to learn what it is. There is definitely something wrong and I am desperate to find answers.

I apologize for the length of this. Your suggestions and opinions are much appreciated. I just want to feel better... especially before I am 100 lbs over weight!

Thank you,
Danielle
Could you please post the reference ranges along with those thyroid levels, ranges vary from lab to lab,  Thank You FTB4
Oh ok...

TSH - 1.25    range 0.40-4.50 mIU/L

T4 Free 1.0   range 0.8-1.8 ng/dL

T3 Free 3.1   range 2.3-4.2 pg/mL

Glucose 94   range 65-99 mg/dL

Insulin <2      range <23 uIU/mL

C-Peptide 0.94  range 0.80-3.10ng/mL

Thank you!
Also, under the T4 free it says "The current lot of free T4 reagent available from the manufacturer produces results that are approximately 9% higher than previous reagent lots. Please interpret these results accordingly"

Not sure if this effects anything?
Your thyroid hormone levels may be in range but they are low, TSH is low also, and it should be higher with low thyroid although it is a Pituitary Hormone, but Your Free T4 is only 20% in its range, Your Free T3 is higher (As it should be) at 42% of its range, but should be higher. I would think you would feel much better with Free T3 higher at or around 65-70% and Free T4 at least 50%, That is where someone with Hypothyroid on medication would feel best at, so I would assume that would even apply to a person not on thyroid meds. Its easy for an MD to look at your results and say "Your in range, so your thyroid is OK" We hear that all the time with MD's that don't treat symptoms, and treat by lab ranges. Free T3 is the active hormone that controls your body's metabolism, which in turn has a direct affect on weight gain or loss and energy levels. I would advise you to request tests for Thyroid Antibody tests for Hashimoto's Thyroiditis  which are Tgab and TPOab  you could be in the beginning stages of this common cause of Hypothyroid Disease. These tests will prove or disprove,
Low Ferritin and low Iron Levels can cause low thyroid levels and symptoms also, so these tests would be needed along with two other tests for deficiency's in Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D, I assume the notice about the reagent used in testing throws off the result by 9% so for Free T4 you would add the 9% to the 20% = 29% in range. If you have any more results or questions do not hesitate to ask.  Best Wishes FTB4
I agree that you need the antibody tests to see if you have Hashimoto's.

The notation regarding the reagent means that the result is 9% higher than previous batches of reagent had shown.  Therefore, if I calculated it correctly, previous reagents would have come up with a result of 0.91 vs 1.0.

There is some question as to whether those not on thyroid med need levels as high as those of us dependent on med, but since you have so many symptoms, I'd say your levels are not nearly high enough for you.

There's controversy over whether or not blood cortisol levels are helpful, since that is usually tested only once and cortisol raises and lowers according to a circadian rhythm.  It should be highest in the morning, as we prepare to go about the day, and gradually drop off as we prepare to sleep at night.  Supposedly, a 24 hr saliva test is the only way to check this, accurately and most doctors do not do the 24 hr saliva test.

I'm not sure I'd be looking at a pituitary issue just yet.

Vitamin B12 is the # 1 thing to check when fatigue is a prevalent symptom, as it can cause the most debilitating fatigue you can imagine.  It can also cause brain fog and memory loss, along with tingling/numbness in the feet/hands.

As FTB4 noted, an iron work up would also be good.

Do be aware that thyroid issues, along with B12 deficiency (Pernicious Anemia) often go hand in hand with PCOS.  Your glucose and insulin levels look good, but do be careful to eat things low on the glycemic index in order to prevent blood sugar spikes, which in turn produce insulin spikes, which in turn produces weight gain and eventually type II diabetes. That one becomes a vicious circle.
Thank you both for your input. It is greatly appreciated!
So you feel with my free T3 and TSH being within "normal" range, I should still look into Hashimoto's first and not pituitary? I have the lab slip to check for the antibodies so I will def do that.

What other tests are done to check into the pituitary as the culprit?

Thanks very much. This forum has been extremely helpful!
I do think you should look into Hashimoto's first.  

Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies (TPOab) and Thyroglobulin Antibodies (TGab) to test for Hashimoto's

Other tests that might be helpful are:

Prolactin, Luteinizing Hormone (LH), Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH), Basic Metabolic Profile (BMP), ACTH, for pituitary testing.  

But since you have PCOS, you might already have been tested for some of these, so check previous lab reports to make sure you don't duplicate.
Thank you. I will definitely check into these other labs. I was unaware of the connection to the pituitary..
The pituitary is what drives the endocrine system, including thyroid, adrenals, reproductive system, etc.  TSH is actually a pituitary hormone, produced to stimulate the thyroid into producing hormones.  

I'm not saying there's nothing wrong with your pituitary; just that pituitary issues are relatively rare, whereas Hashimoto's is very common and it's not unusual for symptoms to show up, long before blood tests indicate a problem.
I had the blood work done yesterday to check for the antibodies. If the results don't show the antibodies, is there still I chance I may have it then? Or are u just referring to the t3, t4, and tsh not showing Hashimoto's just yet?
TSH and FT3/FT4 aren't indicators of Hashimoto's.  They only indicate how well the thyroid is functioning, as in hyper or hypothyroidism.

Antibodies and a thyroid ultra sound are what diagnoses the autoimmune aspect.

I've read that about 10% of people with Hashimoto's don't have positive antibodies.  An ultra sound could also diagnose it, if there is swelling and inflammation present, along with nodules.

There are also other types of hypothyroidism, as well, though Hashi's is much more common.  
Oh ok, now I understand. My thyroid ultrasound said the size of my thyroid is normal but I had the two nodules. I'm awaiting the biopsy results now.
I swear I was reading a letter that I wrote when I read your post!!
I have hypothyroidism,PCOS & had fertility issues too. Your symptom list made my jaw drop because they're my symptoms too. The foggy feeling is hard for everyone to understand unless you've experienced it. I swear if it weren't for having to get my kids to school,I wouldn't even get out of bed somedays because of the way my head feels & the fatigue.