Hypothyroid with night sweats?
About a month ago I was diagnosed with a hypothyroid and was placed on medication after my blood test results showed low T3 & T4. I also had the following symptoms: Leg Cramps, Depression, Extreme Fatigue, Weight Gain, Memory Problems, Hair loss (Bald Patch). I had actually visited the doctor because I thought that I had the flu and had been having Night Sweats, so bad that I would wake up freezing as if someone had thrown a bucket of water on me. The doctor put me on an anti-biotics and I seemed to get better, but I am still having night sweats.

I have been on the hypothyroid medicine for about a month and for the first few weeks my energy was great...I felt like a new man, but the Night Sweats have started to be a big problem. I wake up everynight, so I think its affecting the quality of my sleep. I have done some research and it seems that the sweats would be a symptom of Hyperthyroid, so I am a little confused.

My blood results that indicated the tyroid problem, also indicated that I was also slightly anemic, which is strange because I eat meat often. The doctor gave me a take home test to check for blood in my stool and I have a feeling that there might be. I have taken the test results in but haven't gotten the results for over three weeks and my doctor seems to have gone on vacation. I have had some pretty bad pain in my upper abdomen a few weeks ago, but I didn't go to the emergency. My Gastrol Intestinal track seems to alway be pretty uncomfortable and I have kinda gotten used to it. My doctor started me on Acid Reflux medication when he put me on the thyroid medication, but my stomach just feels the same.

I called my doctor today and the assistant said the results would not be ready until the end of the week. I know that one of the causes of the night sweats could be cancer and if it was in my G I that might explain the anemia and the indigestin. I don't want to over exagerate my concern, but if there is some sort of cancer would waiting a week or two or three affect it treatability? This is a new doctor, but I usual give people the benifit of the doubt...and If there is somthing that needs to be addressed imediatley it would be...right?
Night sweats could be from a high T3 level caused by too much thyroid meds.
Wait until your test come back before you talk yourself into having Cancer.
Sorry to be so blunt and I know it must be hard for you but you arent doing yr thyroid anygood by worrying needlessly.
Worry about what you CAN control, rather than wheat you CANT.
Get yr FT3, FT4 and TSH done again.
Wouldnt surprise me if you are on too much thyroid meds.
Good Luck and post yr results here.
As quoted from Dr Izabella Wentz: '90-95% of cases of hypothyroidism are caused by Hashimoto's, an autoimmune attack on the thyroid, and Hashimoto’s has a unique set of symptoms compared to non autoimmune hypothyroidism.

People with Hashimoto’s may experience BOTH hypothyroid and hyperthyroid symptoms because as the thyroid cells are destroyed, stored hormones are released into the circulation causing a toxic level of thyroid hormone in the body, also known as thyrotoxicosis or Hashitoxicosis.

Eventually, the stored thyroid may become depleted and due to thyroid cell damage, the person is no longer able to produce enough hormones. At this time, hypothyroidism develops.'

Research has shown a link between the gut and autoimmune disease.  I have an underactive thyroid, but years before I also developed vitiligo.  Healing the gut is the link to healing the autoimmune.  I have done the following: Cut out all gluten, dairy, soya and sugar.  Liver cleanse/ flush, kidney detox, heavy metal detox (including seeing a biodentist to rid my teeth of mercury fillings).  Parasite cleanse and now I am doing a Candida cleanse, using bioflavonoids and oregano oil.  My final attempt to heal the leaky gut using L Glucosamine.  It has been an up and down journey, but worth it.  My aim is to be able to enjoy all food again and not rely on pharmaceutical levothyroxine (must be big business for the drug company).

Hope this helps and may explain your pain in the abdomen.  (I also get night sweats, which is how I've ended up on this site to find out if I need to reduce my drugs or if it's something else).

when i was really hypo, i woke up a lot with strange dreams and hallucinations.  i also had very frequent night sweats.  

if you continue to get the sweats after your levels "normalize", then start to press the issue.  

Smilerdeb is right...it's not going to change anything if you worry.  take one day at a time.  keep notes about symptoms.  be proactive but patient as well.  regulating hypo takes time.

take care.
Thank you.

Yes, I do believe that worrying or obsessing over something can create a negative physical result.

In fact for the last ten years I have probably only been to the doctor twice and I have always felt that our well being is largely a part of our mental state.

I guess I should have made my questions more straight foward.

1. I had the night sweats before and since I saw the doctor, so I don't think that the sweats are a result of the medication. Is it possible for Hypothyroid to cause sweats?

2.When I went to the doctor he said the take home test would take a few minutes to process result once I took the test in...it's now been over a month, so I don't think that my patientce should be in question. Will a week or two affect the treatability of a serious condition...if there even was one? In other words how long should I be patient?

Thanks again.

Call your Doc and ask for yr results.
Also ask that a copy of the labs be sent out to you or if you can pick it up.
I have my bloods done in a pathology lab in the morning and faxed to me by 4pm.
But oh course...thats Australia and the damn good Doctor I have.
Your levels arent stable and you will continue to feel like cr@p until they start to stabalise.
You also have to be aware that Doctors are not always right and where we may be sitting by a phone waiting for results, they have probably even forgotten to call.
I would be rescheduling another appointment...you cant go on like this.
If you are talking about the card that you put a little poop on, it's called a hemoccult test and it does not take weeks to get an answer if you have blood in your stool...light a fire under that doc's a$$!!

MTKST...I am having horrible nightmares and wake up screaming and yelling and wake the whole house up!!  I haven't been dx'd yet, but, thyroid is enlarged and have had a nodule bx done...I see the Endo 6/24...are nightmares/night terrors a symptom of thyroid problems????  I also have the sweating episodes where it starts as a fire in my feet and just whooshes up my body from the inside...this is the first time I have heard anyone say anything about the nightmares...anxious to know...
I had horrible night sweats for several years before I was dx'd hypo - the doctor kept telling me is menopausal symptoms - I had to total hysterectomy in 1996, which took me immediately through menopause, so I could never agree that 10-12 yrs later, I was STILL having symptoms from THAT..........

After my hypo was dx'd, and my levels began leveling out, the sweats are much better.  I'm still not completely balanced as I still have symptoms, but I don't think I'm too far off now.  I just had bloods done on Monday, so am waiting for the results.  

Don't "buy trouble" in thinking that you might have cancer or something equally as horrible.  Just take one day at a time and DO get hold of your doctor and demand your test results.............

Good luck
I just recently started having night sweats myself.  And, after reading your posts I am thinking that it's common for thyroid patients.  It's weird sometimes my body is cold to touch but i feel like I am hot.  Anyone have this?
I too have night sweats.  I am hypo and still have symptoms even though I am on synthroid.  I wake up around the same time every night wet from my head to my waist.  I even woke my husband up one night to feel how wet my back was.  It is really weird.  

My Dr. says no menapause, so it must be the hypo.
So, I called my doctor as follows:

Me: I'm just calling again to see if you have received my hemoccult test result.

Nurse: Tell you what if you call back in an hour I can give you the results.

1 HOUR LATER

Me: It's me again...did you recieve the result?

Nurse: Yes

Me:...ok

Nurse: You need to come in to see the doctor.

Me:...

I had night sweats 5 years before I was diagnosed for Hoshimoto's. I was young - in my mid 20's at the time. I was drenched sometimes! Yuck! I had more common hypo symptoms also at the time, doctors did not think to test the thyroid. I even had a CAT scan of my head! So I was hypothyroid at the time and had night sweats.

When I was on Synthroid for 10 years, the night sweats diminished but the more common symptoms did not. In the last few months I have tried other meds, and had night sweats returned at first. This time I had hyper symptoms that mostly went away as I got use to the newer thyroid med.

Seems like I got the sweats from hypo and hyper. Fine now.
So, when are you seeing your doc??  Don't go thinking the worst, you may have a hemorrhoid that is bleeding!!  Let us know what you find out!!
Nightmare and night sweats have been a part of my journey for many many years. I had them BEFORE I was diagnosed but knew I was hypo. Being hyper OR hypo can have night sweats, there is no cut and dried rule on this.
   It could well be your medication is too much and you are now in fact, hyper. Only having the right thyroid tests will you know.
  For me, since being on replacement meds and having no thyroid at all,  they went away! Till recently...now I am having the night sweats again. I feel terribly cold, much colder than I ought to. It is winter here but I haven't felt this cold in many many years. I go to bed in a million layers still shivering all night only to wake up with my body drenched in sweat. I have had my menopausal checks done and I am no way even near peri-menopause!
  I did notice my Free T3's dropping and my TSH has shot up. So in my mind I can see where the culprit is! Just trying now to convince doctor's here of the connection.
Have you ever been tested for Gluten? This is part of wheat and can cause anemia, tummy pains, and varying diahorrea or contstipation? Many thyroid patients have gluten intolerance (like me) or are true Caelics.
  I had blood in my stools too, and had all the appropriate testing done. I had a 'high hemorrhoid'  It was one I couldn't even feel!
So try not to freak out too much. There are many varied scenarios of what is happening for you. Onlyby getting as much information as you can willyou be able to know what to ask for.

Good luck!
It is a great comfort to know that night sweats can indeed occur in hypothyroid (pre-medication).

I am a male in my early 30's, so I think I can definatly rule out menopause, but since LAZYMOOSE is a male, I guess that hormones are just very unpredicatble.

I see my doctor on Monday and I am not horribly worried. I have been relatively healthy my entire life and I really think that this has made me look at alot of things diffrently. Thanks to everyone for the stories. Until I find out how to stop the sweats I guess I'm going to have to find a fan or something to keep the air circulating under the covers.

This has been a growing experince for my girlfriend and I. I mean if she can put up with the wet bed, she must really love me. I also seem to have a bad body odor, which is deffinately embarassing. A few years ago I was a thick mained, energetic, handsome young man, who smelled pleasant...know I've got a bald patch, a pot belly and a funky smell. It's actually kinda funny! I can deal with all of that, but I want my ENERGY BACK!
I wanted to know if gluten intolerence can be herditary, I have a younger cousing on my father's side who was diagnosed with caeliac. She was doing really bad until she changed her diet.
Yes it can and usually is hereditary. There is a simple blood test to find out. I had a biopsy on my intestines as well and they saw flattened villi..which means the bits that absorb the food in the gut had died off so that meant I had a gluten intolerance.
TEST RESULTS...It's COLONOSCOPY/ ENDOSCOPY TIME!
LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL!

I really hope they put the camera in my mouth first! Has anyone been through this?

Very good!!  I have had both and they are a piece of cake!!  The worst part for me is always the prep...make sure you have a good book or magazine to read as you will spend a lot of time on the throne the day before...make sure you don't have anything red or orange the day before cuz that can look like blood in the colon, sometimes they forget to tell you that!!  I worked for 4 gastro docs for over 10 yrs,so I am very familiar with both procedures... had a reoccurring polyp, so I have to have colonoscopy done every year...going on #7 for me...good luck, let us know how it turns out...make sure they give you the good drugs if that is how you prefer to do it...I was wide awake for my 3rd one and it was fascinating to watch on the monitor...you may be a bit gassy afterwards and they encourage you to let it rip...hope all goes well!
oops, forgot to say, the scope that goes down your throat is different than the one that goes up your...well you know!! ;)
I have nightsweats and currently only have been dx'd with subclinical hypo and am waiting to see an endo. I haven't been tested for hashis yet but will be...I'm pretty sure cancer isn't a concern. I would hold out for more testing...
Yep, I had two colonoscopies over 2 months! The drink you have the day before and sitting on the dunny, is not fun. Also don't eat any multigrain thins either , even with the clean out there can be bits left inside....I had my doctor go a bit cross at me about that. I told him he ought to have told me first!
  I had to have more anesthetic during first procedure as having something shoved up where the sun don't shine and into my stomach made me wake up! Very uncomfortable, but within seconds they had me knocked out again.
   joycekatherine is right....it does bloat you up and you just want to let it rip...good thing is there is no smell as nothing in there! Hee hee.
Good luck with it!