Thyroid Disorders Community
Hypothyroidism - what to eat and what not to eat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Can someone tell me what to avoid eating in hypothyroid and what is good to eat in hypothyroid?

Thanks,
I know that you have to be careful about soy foods. I avoid them.
Avoid All sources of flouride, I just had a huge crisis for using a re-enforced flouride toothpaste and mouthwash. My DPOAb went to the roof (peroxide test) up to a level of 2000.
Soy's definitely on the list, although some sources say that fermented soy like miso, tamari, and tempeh are ok in small to moderate amounts as the fermentation process destroys the goitrogens (substances that supress thyroid function) and the phytoestrogens (plant estrogens) they contain.

Raw cruciferous veggies like cabbage, broccoli, brussels sprouts, and cauliflower are also on the list, but cooking them destroys the goitrogens.  Also avoid mustard, kale, turnips, pine nuts, millet, peanuts and canola (rape seed) oil as these also contain goitrogens.  I'm not sure about cooking's effect on the goitrogens in regard to the last list.

In addition, like Evaleonor said, avoid fluoride, as well as chlorinated drinking water (use a filter if you have to) and products containing brominated flour, as these have the same effects.
Wow flouride? I have never been told any of this. My tounge has been white and swollen for 10 months and now I wonder if that may be the cause between toothpaste and mouthwash, also I thought eating veggies would be good for me, yikes and where are you getting this info?
A white and swollen tongue could indicate a couple of things, including a chronic candida infection or a B-vit deficiency.

I got all this info from searching the web.  Do a search for goitrogens and then another for "fluoride"AND"thyroid".  A lot of the stuff you'll find on fluoride is seriously scary.  Now while most of the info you'll find out there are on alternative medicine or patient-advocacy websites, it definitely gives food for thought.  Also consider that the alternative medicine community tends to be a trend-setter for conventional medical practices.  VitD is finally getting its day in the sun (pardon the pun) by the conventional medical community, although its importance has been known for a very long time, and not just for preventing rickets, but as part of a holistic therapeutic approach to treating and preventing many diseases.  

Even the site thyroidmanager.org has a section on goitrogens, although its in med-speak and doesn't contain a full list.  The chapter is here:  http://www.thyroidmanager.org/Chapter5/5a-2.htm
Thanks Nixie, I have showed the docs my tounge a few times and they just say uhhuh it looks normal, but no I know my tounge,lol. I take B12 and had vitamin levels checked, my ferriten was very low at one time but not sure about now however my tounge is still funky. What can you use to see if it is candida infection?
My tongue is also whitish ,showed to my GP she said it is normal,if I scrap all whitness gone.Not sure it is because of thyroid or because of cymbalta or flouride tooth paste.Over all I feel great very manageable tirdness ,almost zero neuropathyi think 100mcg is working out.
Did you just up your dose and are u on Synthroid? Also what type of thyroid problem? Mine is  lymphocytic/hashimotos thyroiditis
Yes they up my levoxyl from 75mcg to 100 mcg.I am also hashi/hypo,diagnosed last since then I am having neuropathoc symptoms and all hypo sypmtoms.White tongue is bothering me if u get answer let me know,is it candida ?
I get white tongue and dry mouth a lot with my Graves although I am usually more hyper than hypo

My mum is 'hypo' she has this problem all the time.
Try some products called Biotene (think spelling is correct), can get toohpaste ,mouthwash, chewing gum & other stuff.
They helped with dry mouth for my mum & her tongue then went back to normal.

I find if I get dehydarted my tongue gets more white...so i drink lots of water which can help.
Sorry forgot ...in reply to original post I have read quite a lot that Aspartme (artificial sweetner ) can be bad for the thyorid. I have read a lot that some docs believe it can cause Thryoid disease.
So I now avoid. Apparently if this is a cause for a persons thyroid problem or makes it worse, stopping it completely in your diet ca actually make a difference in how you feel in just a few days.
Another pill,lol I have so many different vitamins I been trying for everything heak whats another! Bioten never heard of it but what is it exactly for? Rohit what type of neuropathic problems do you have? I have showed my tounge to a few docs and they all say it looks normal but whatever,lol. I brush it and the white still does not go away not only that it is much bigger than it used to be, I have been diagnosed Hashis/Lympocytic. And have all hypo symptoms even though they say my levels are normal, I am wondering if I need to go up 25 more on my synthroid, I am now on 75. Also if I drink coffee or colored drinks its like the color will stay on my tounge for a long time till I brush it off.
I was just recently tested for hypothyroidism. I have every single symptom to the T. But my Dr says my TSH level is normal but I have low sodium levels. I did some research and I found that low sodium levels is also associated with hypothyroidism ... What can I do to get a proper diagnosis and what food would help me get some or any energy back into my body?
I just tested. My TSH was normal but I asked them to test the T3 and T4 as well since i had the exact same symptoms. Turned out that even though TSH was normal my T3 was a bit low. This is COMMON so I wouldn't hesitate to ask for the test. Also possibly insulin resistance -- has some of the same symptoms.  (an aside if you happen to have an IUD in check on-line for those side effects as they match)
An Endochronologist is the best Dr to go to for a proper diagnosis.  My Regular Dr just kept raising the dose of my Thyroid medicine which didn't do anything.  I went to the Functional Endochronoligy Center and was diagnosed and treated.  It made a world of difference in my health.